1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that the screen edges is not evenly aligned with the frame of the phone? Being a graphic designer, such imbalance is quite noticable and makes the screen look slightly titled. I noticed this on the demo unit on the store and was hoping it was just a defect. However, today after my wife and I each got our own Centro's, I noticed the same thing on both new phones.

Chi
    smart reviews for serious gamers
    <A HREF="http://mobile.gamecritics.com">mobile.gamecritics.com</A>
    Quote Originally Posted by GC_Chi View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the screen edges is not evenly aligned with the frame of the phone? Being a graphic designer, such imbalance is quite noticable and makes the screen look slightly titled. I noticed this on the demo unit on the store and was hoping it was just a defect. However, today after my wife and I each got our own Centro's, I noticed the same thing on both new phones.

Chi
    Search "Crooked screen". I'm returning my 2nd unit with the crooked screen. I went through 5 units in the store and ended up taking the "least crooked" one because I needed a phone. I am returning this one this weekend. I'm not a graphic designer and this one is off by mere milimeters. I can tell and it drives me insane.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    The crooked screen was the last straw on the 4 Centro's I had over 2 days. I got fed up and returned it and went back to my 755p.

You are not alone!
    That sucks! They aren't all like that, there must be a bad batch of them. That had happened with my HDTV, I was lucky with that too. I'd exchange it somewhere else or something. Maybe they are giving you one of the three you returned.
  5.    #5  
    Palm should really issue a manufacturer's return policy on this and fix this problem across the board. I've looked at two demo units and 3 retail ones and none were aligned properly. I'm going to try another store and see if I have any luck with an exchange.

Chi
    Palm should really issue a manufacturer's return policy on this and fix this problem across the board. I've looked at two demo units and 3 retail ones and none were aligned properly. I'm going to try another store and see if I have any luck with an exchange.
    A screenshot would be nice. Mine is perfect as far as I can tell, certainly not anything noticeable. Only took me one try to get it.
    My alignment seems ok, but it's hard when selecting text by tapping and dragging to select the character thats adjacent to the left side of the screen. And it's hard to position the cursor to the left of the leftmost character when in memo/note mode. I end up flipping the stylus upside down and using the pointy **** end to select (highlight) up to and including the leftmost character or to place the cursor to the left of the leftmost character.

This is annoying to me because I never had this problem with my Tungsten C.
    David
  8.    #8  
    Looks like third times the charm... sort of.

On my third attempt at an exchange, I finally got a tolerable unit. The alignment is still slightly off, but it's acceptable.

One tip for people doing exchanges. Make sure the Sprint rep doesn't take the Centro out of the plastic bag before you inspect it. If they do, they won't open any others for you since its a one limit on exchange before you have to go through insurance (if you have it).You can see if the screen is aligned properly while its still in the plastic by looking at the black edges/frame of the screen.

Also, if one unit is bad, I was told by the rep that probably the entire lot in the store was the same and she recommended I try another store. That worked for me.

Chi
    Looks like third times the charm... sort of.

On my third attempt at an exchange, I finally got a tolerable unit. The alignment is still slightly off, but it's acceptable.

One tip for people doing exchanges. Make sure the Sprint rep doesn't take the Centro out of the plastic bag before you inspect it. If they do, they won't open any others for you since its a one limit on exchange before you have to go through insurance (if you have it).You can see if the screen is aligned properly while its still in the plastic by looking at the black edges/frame of the screen.

Also, if one unit is bad, I was told by the rep that probably the entire lot in the store was the same and she recommended I try another store. That worked for me.

Chi
    This type of exchange should be a warranty exchange, not your 30 day exchange. Make sure you have a tech create a ticket with your issue and they can open Centros all day long. I went through 5 in the store.
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek View Post
    This type of exchange should be a warranty exchange, not your 30 day exchange. Make sure you have a tech create a ticket with your issue and they can open Centros all day long. I went through 5 in the store.
    I'm thinking its YMMV depending on the store. I think they were incredibly understanding to open 5 boxes. Either way, if anyone runs into unhelpful rep, you can check the screen without having to open the package and save everyone the hassel.

Chi
    I received 4 Treo's from Sprint via UPS . . . all 4 units were just fine. Must be a bad batch in your area.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    it was the first batch to come out. my mom and i both are on our second centro because of the screen alignment(and other things) the ones we got at the store right when they came out had crooked screens, the ones sprint sent us through ups were fine.
    Pre
    ppcgeeks.com ---- ajk511
    I guess I got lucky mine was not crooked. My wife's red one was crooked and we returned the second one was fine.
  14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts

Chi
    Mine was perfect. I too am a designer and yes this would irritate me if mine wasn't perfect.
    My first unit had a bum pixel, but I never noticed the tilt. Then I went back and traded it in for a new unit. The first thing I noticed was the slight screen tilt! I thought I would just get over it, and I did, but then I saw this post and it just reminded me...

There's got to be a way to 'untilt' a tilted screen. Either through software, or just opening it up and physically rotating the screen just a hair.

I'll just not think about it for now...that's what fixed it before
    Went to a Sprint store on a whim...took 2 misaligned units before they pulled a perfectly aligned one from the back...thank you Sprint!!
    Are all of these misaligned the same way? It sounds like the top right corner is higher or lower than the left or something like that. It might make it easier for people to notice and pinpoint if its a certain production run or something if they're all the same.
    Every single tilted screen I saw had the left side sitting further down than the right. Some were just a hair off center, others were really off. Mine thankfully is dead level now.
    Just got a Centro via UPS from Palm. Crooked screen. Left side is tilted a couple pixels lower than the right side..

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!