Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi I'm looking to use a VPN client to send e-mail from my Treo 755p.

http://www.palm.com/us/wireless/vpn/
    ^This site shows some VPN clients, but none compatible with the 755p.

The VPN client I currently use on my laptop is Cisco's VPN Client.

Any help would be appreciated
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Well it really depends if your endpoint is IPSec or PPTP which one to use. I have used Mergic on my TX and now my 755p to connect to Windows RAS server using PPTP without problems.
  3.    #3  
    I would be using IPSec, any thoughts on a program that uses that?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  4.    #4  
    Anyone?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    www.anthavpn.com

It's not cheap - at the dollar's rather weak exchange rate, it's somewhere around $90 US. They base their price on 65 euros - which is not $79 US right now
    If you need to use a secure ID card, you'll want to get movianVPN as antha 5.7 for palm doesn't support this...or at least it didn't in the past.

You'll probably have to write and request movian as it is no longer available for download on the site...I think they have stopped development for the Palm OS.

If you make it this far and actually get the app, the other tricky part is installing your company's VPN profile. There is no import feature in movian to import the profile.
    Last edited by egn; 11/30/2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Movian = antha
    I use the movian client with a Cisco VPN 3000, a Cisco PIX, and a Cisco IOS IPSec tunnel, works great with all of them. There are many threads on this from years ago...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ssrjazz, what version of AnthaVPN are you currently using? Does it allow use of a secure ID card?

Do you assume Movian = Antha or can you verify that this is the case? I have both applications installed on my handheld and their functionality are different for the reasons I stated above.

It would be a shame for someone to spend good money on bad advice.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The movian vpn client was bought out by anthasoftware a couple of years ago. It has subsequently been rebranded as the AnthaVPN client and has been developed a little further.

Yes, it does support securid for xauth, but it really depends how your corporation uses securid. I have a friend that cannot use it with their secureif implementation due to their use of it as part of the username when he logs in.

As for insinuating I am giving bad advice, perhaps you should consider that the OP was asking what ipsec vpn clients exist. I gave the the url - it's up to the OP to do his own research before s/he buys. There's a demo of the anthavpn client available from the site as well. Instead of criticizing someone for actually trying to be helpful, you might want to do your OWN research.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    For the record, I'm using v5.7..and yes...it does have securid support (in the xauth section)

http://www.anthavpn.com/webmaker/portal/wmlink_364

Lists the features across the anthavpn versions.
    Dude, I'm not here to argue with you, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings, but you proved that your own original statement "Movian = Antha" is both incorrect and misleading.

If your buddy can't use AnthaVPN due to his company's implementation, did it dawn on you that the OP may have the same problem? Is it helpful to assume that because a software was bought and rebranded means it is the same or equal to the original?

Sorry if I offended you, but I thought the OP may find it useful to know that the old product works differently (and better) than the new therefore making the products UNEQUAL.
    Last edited by egn; 12/03/2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Despite what the features list says... here it is straight from the horses mouth.

Hello,

I'm afraid AnthaVPN for PalmOS devices doesn't Support the use of tokens for authentication. Thanks for your interest in our products.

Regards,
    Jose Gonzalez
    AnthaSoft Support

-----Mensaje original-----
    De: steve.wilson@worldnet21.com [mailto:steve.wilson@worldnet21.com]
    Enviado el: lunes, 03 de diciembre de 2007 20:14
    Para: Jose Luis Gonzalez
    Asunto: Fw: Antha VPN Question

------Original Message------
    To: steve.wilson@worldnet21.com
    Sent: 3 Dec 2007 17:26
    Subject: Antha VPN Question

Your Message
    Palm Treo 700

I'm not having much luck getting Antha 5.7 to work with my SecurID card. I
    select Xauth Type: SecurID and to prompt me for a password, but it will not
    save the settings.

Thanks.

Steve Wilson
    Director & C.O.O.
    Worldnet21 Technology Ltd
    14 Cluain Airne
    Shannon
    County Clare
    Ireland
    Tel: +35386 2377050
    Fax: +353 61 362990
    Email: steve.wilson@worldnet21.com
    Web: www.anthavpn.com & www.worldnet21.com
    Are there any GNU VPN clients (w/ PPTP support) for PalmOS?
    I know this thread is a little old, but I'm trying to decide between a Centro and an 800w for my next device and my deciding factor may be whether Cisco VPN (IPsec over UDP, with SecurID) client software is available.

Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    http://www.palm.com/us/wireless/vpn/
    ^This site shows some VPN clients, but none compatible with the 755p.
    And I see that Palm has now taken down that page entirely -- it redirects to a completely empty page, https://ws.palm.com/UrlRedirector/ap.../wireless/vpn/. The latest version available on archive.org, http://web.archive.org/web/200801201.../wireless/vpn/ (from January 2008) shows that they never did update the list to show support for the 755p or other recent devices.

Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    If you need to use a secure ID card, you'll want to get movianVPN as antha 5.7 for palm doesn't support this...or at least it didn't in the past.

You'll probably have to write and request movian as it is no longer available for download on the site...I think they have stopped development for the Palm OS.
    Does movianVPN work on Palm OS 5 devices like the 755p and Centro? On http://www.anthasoft.com/anthavpn-supported-devices.php, they show the 700p as being unsupported (with either movianVPN or anthaVPN). The 755p and Centro are not listed. http://www.anthasoft.com/movianvpn-f...s-networks.php also claims that movianVPN only supports Palm OS 3 and 4. I guess that's contradicted by the Supported Devices matrix, though, since it shows movianVPN support for the 650, which is a Palm OS 5 device.

Amazingly bad quality of information on Anthasoft's site, given that this is an enterprise product. Anyhow, anyone know if movianVPN would work for the above-described type of VPN on the Centro? egn, after your failure to get anthaVPN to work for you, did you have success with movianVPN?

If you make it this far and actually get the app, the other tricky part is installing your company's VPN profile. There is no import feature in movian to import the profile.
    Huh?? So how the heck do you get it on there? I don't understand how it would be possible if there's no import function.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 08/02/2008 at 01:06 PM.
    movianVPN (not Antha) worked flawlessly on my 700 and 755 - I can vouch for that. Used it with a RSA SecurID for 2 years to connect to my company's Cisco Concentrator trouble free.

The profile import was problematic because, like I stated, there is no import function. The .pcf file that you would import on your PC does not import on a Palm device, so for Palm you will have to type in the details like group name, group password,id, etc. The problem with this is that this info in usually not divulged. If you can't get this info from your network dept, movian won't work. If you are the network dept. then you are good to go.

Personally, I'm a Palm fan for life - good, bad, or other, BUT, if the VPN feature is a deciding factor, and the 800 comes with this ability out of the box, your money would be better spent on the Windows device. It hurt me to type that, but honestly, if you're thinking along the lines of VPN, you are probably planning to use if for corporate type stuff, which means, you'll probably have access to your company's wireless network i.e. email, intranet, etc. Since Palm OS doesn't do wifi, you are shutoff from this.
    I see. Thanks, egn. I had never looked inside a .pcf file before, but it appears that it's just a text file, with clear variable=value pairs, so hopefully unless there are encoding issues, it's straightforward to get that information out and into movian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless View Post
    I see. Thanks, egn. I had never looked inside a .pcf file before, but it appears that it's just a text file, with clear variable=value pairs, so hopefully unless there are encoding issues, it's straightforward to get that information out and into movian.
    My bad, I was in a hurry when I typed my post on yesterday - I didn't fully elaborate.

You are correct, it is a text file. In my case, my .pcf info was all clear text except for the enc_GroupPwd. This is the kicker. My password was many many characters long and encrypted. This password has to be decrypted and then typed as such into movian.
    I'm a new poster, but for what it is worth, you can decrypt the enc_GroupPwd from the Cisco prc file at this site (I can confirm that it works, as I have used it successfully):

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode

Additionally, you can find a somewhat detailed explanation of how to accomplish this manually on Linux here:

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view...iscoVpn?raw=on

I hope this helps. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Heh, how cool. A website where you can type in your password. I wonder if I can also give them the PIN to my credit card and the password for my email account. Where should I type in my Social Security Number???

I did notice that they have a link to the C source so you could do this in a secure fashion.

OK, enough rib poking. Back to the regular banter.

Dave
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast