Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Garmin says XT is for GPS enabled smartphones including Treos and Mobile 10 is for smartphones like Treos that have their GPS disabled. It sounds like ours are disabled unless we pay Sprint a fee? It sounds like you'd get one or the other, not both?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Garmin says XT is for GPS enabled smartphones including Treos and Mobile 10 is for smartphones like Treos that have their GPS disabled. It sounds like ours are disabled unless we pay Sprint a fee? It sounds like you'd get one or the other, not both?
    Not sure where you read that, BCVP, but the units you buy from Garmin do not depend at all on the internal GPS functions. You don't have to pay any fees to Sprint to use Garmin's systems, except for the data fees if you use the aforementioned on-line services. Maybe someone could correct me, but I can't see any reason you couldn't subscribe to Sprint's navigation services in addition to having a separate system like the Garmin Mobile 10. I don't see how Sprint's services would know or care about a Garmin unit tethered via Bluetooth.

I agree with everything that mogulman said, with the exception that the Bluetooth GPS receiver is significantly smaller than a stand-alone unit with touchscreen display. The Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver is my only exception to the "carry only one device" rule. Also, one can get around the Palm limitation of one Bluetooth device active at a time by switching to a wired headset or the speakerphone. There is also some functionality of Mobile 10 that some stand-alone devices don't have - online services, integration with Palm's address book, syncing with Garmin's desktop computer software, changing map data bases (US vs. Europe, street vs. topo vs. maritime, etc.) BUT - again, I agree with everything mogulman said and his solution will be the best one for many users.

And yes, dzenc explained the difference between Mobile 10 and Mobile XT perfectly. I have always found Garmin's product lines confusing. Try figuring out the differences between City Navigator and City Navigator NT map DVDs! Even Garmin's website was wrong until I and a couple of other folks from this site pointed out their errors.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/26/2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Correct grammatical errors
    Ok, I got it, thanks guys! I spoke with Garmin and they said since the Centro doesn't have a built in receiver you need the Mobile 10 or Mobile 20. They also said a third party receiver won't work, which goes back to buying the 10 or 20.

The 20 is a car mount with BT. The 20 is stuck in the car, in other words you don't use it unless you're in a car. The 10 goes anywhere but you don't get the BT feature. The 10 and 20 are similar to the Nuvi but the Centro doesn't have speech to text recognition and there isn't third party software available at the moment, therefore you will get everything but the turn right at main street feature.

I'm going with Garmin so now its a matter of getting the Nuvi or the 10.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    The Mobile 10 is BT-enabled.
    Yes, but I believe the Mobile 20 *also* includes a bluetooth speakerphone (for telephone calls), whereas the Mobile 10 does not.

FYI, you can get a Nuvi for under $200.

(from dealnews.com) "TheNerds.net offers the Garmin nüvi 200 GPS Navigator, model no. 010-00621-10, for $183.99 plus $9.99 for shipping. Pay via Google Checkout to slash it to $178.99. Although $19 over our mention from this weekend, since expired, it's the lowest total price we could find by $7. The nüvi 200 comes with preloaded maps of the continental US, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico and features a 3.5" color touchscreen LCD, rechargeable battery, Secure Digital card slot, and USB connectivity."

http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,199085,460396
    Ok, I got it, thanks guys! I spoke with Garmin and they said since the Centro doesn't have a built in receiver you need the Mobile 10 or Mobile 20. They also said a third party receiver won't work, which goes back to buying the 10 or 20.
    @BCVP: Regarding Garmin saying a third party receiver will not work; I found this on their website.

(https://my.garmin.com/gmbg/pickHardware.faces)

In their buying guide they give you the option of using your own receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by konkiska View Post
    Can someone tell me why I need external GPS receiver? Centro comes with GPS 'enabled' right? If so why external receiver? can't TT or Garmin doesn't work with built-in 'GPS' on centro?

Is GPS enabled and 'Location On' one and same??
    Yeah, the so-called GPS in the Centro is not a real GPS. It can only be used to give emergency personnel a rough idea of where you're located when you call 911. It can't be used for navigation or anything else. I may be wrong but I don't think it uses GPS satellites but rather triangulation using cell towers.
    the way garmin map licensing works, is that the maps are locked to specific hardware/gps devices. so garmin software will only work with Garmin hardware.
    I believe the GPS on the Centro is also used for GPS related plans offered by Sprint. I don't see myself using GPS enough to need a monthly plan from Sprint, Navteq or others. I found such a deal on eBay for the Nuvi 660 but now I'm thinking that might be overkill for me. I can't resist a bargain. The Mobile 10 and XT are hard to find on eBay.
    Thanks Bbrodus! The link only goes to their products and some phones they know are not supported, with their receivers. There seems to be two GPS receivers people around here are using, the Freedom and the H people, yea I know but I haven't had my caffeine yet. I saw a Freedom and its too big for me to carry around. I'd like to find a small one, that works on Garmin.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I believe the GPS on the Centro is also used for GPS related plans offered by Sprint. I don't see myself using GPS enough to need a monthly plan from Sprint, Navteq or others. I found such a deal on eBay for the Nuvi 660 but now I'm thinking that might be overkill for me. I can't resist a bargain. The Mobile 10 and XT are hard to find on eBay.
    I think you are getting confused by a few things. For GPS driving directions to be useful on your Treo, you need two things. Location, provided by an external GPS via bluetooth, and the maps. The maps can be stored on your Treo, like Garmin and TomTom, or you can get them over the data connection of your Treo, like Sprint and Telenav (both monthly fees). The internal GPS is not really a GPS, I think it is referred to as aGPS or somthing like that. I don't think that you can use any of the above software with that type of location device (I think on Windows mobile devices it can be used with Google Maps, but I'm not sure). Either way, with Palm software, you will need an external GPS device with bluetooth.

Of course stand alone devices, like the Nuvi have the maps and GPS together.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    the way garmin map licensing works, is that the maps are locked to specific hardware/gps devices. so garmin software will only work with Garmin hardware.
    @BCVP: Mogulman's correct. After going back to Garmin's website and looking at another TC thread I see that Garmin's software only works with their hardware. I use Tomtom software, which can be used with any third party BT GPS receiver. That's a bummer because I think Garmin's Navteq maps are better in the U.S. than Tomtom's Teleatlas maps. I was considering trying out Garmin's software since it's only $99. But, if I have to use their hardware, I'll stick with my current set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrodus View Post
    I was considering trying out Garmin's software since it's only $99. But, if I have to use their hardware, I'll stick with my current set up.
    Something to think about - If you like Garmin's maps, you can get their maps plus BT receiver for not much more (about $130) than the maps alone. Garmin's latest receiver, the Mobile 10, uses the same SiRF III (whatever that means) chip set as most new GPS receivers uses, so presumably would have about the same sensitivity. Just a thought.

A big advantage to Garmin's licensing scheme (using the receiver as a hardware key) for some: you can transfer and use the maps (from the DVD) on as many Palm, Windows Mobile and Windows PC devices as you want - meaning you can look at maps, create routes, waypoints, etc. on all of these devices. You just won't be able to navigate using the maps unless you have the receiver that is keyed to your maps. And you can key your map DVD to a 2nd Garmin receiver at no extra cost - though the 3rd and subsequent keys will cost extra.

By the way, I just noticed on Garmin's website (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=10901) something about the Mobile 10 for PDAs that contradicts what I said above:

"Garmin Online™ or Dynamic Content services compatible (displays real-time traffic, weather, fuel prices and hotels.com data): NO"

On the other hand, their product brochure for this device (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...ile10_0706.pdf) says:

"Complimentary wireless data such as weather, real-time traffic alerts and fuel price databases available in select markets through Garmin Online"

I checked my system and the Garmin Online services still function so I'm not sure what new purchasers should expect. As I said above, Garmin's product line descriptions are very confusing and in some cases contradictory.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/27/2007 at 01:13 PM.
    So I'm back to either returning the Nuvi 660 if I can and getting the Mobile 10 with the fairly large dongle. I realized I could just take the receiver with me the few times I need the GPS and probably just keep it in the Element. I haven't heard back regarding the return. Now I've found several Mobile 10s on eBay, after I couldn't find any and went with the Nuvi.
    Make sure you are getting the Mobile 10 with software and Map License Key. Garmin also sells the Mobile 10 without software/license for people like me that had their device stolen. If you just purchase the device without license for maps, then you would end up paying extra for the maps.

Also.. Bobodobo is right. That is one thing that is pretty cool with the Garmin device and Maps. You can use the device and maps on as many Palm, Windows and Laptops as you want. So you can use your Bluetooth device and maps on the Centro and a laptop, too.
    The whole Mobile 10 product line as described on Garmin's website is quite confusing and contradictory - see this post for the gory details.
    I wrote to Ted at Garmin as was suggested earlier here. Here's the reply I got back, rather quickly too I might say.

Thank you for your response,

>Does the XT product include the software to run on Palm devices?
    >
    [Ted] Yes, we have made a Mobile XT software version compatible for Palm
    devices such as the Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, Centro,
    LifeDrive, and T/X. I personally use a Palm Centro, and it works rather
    well with Mobile XT.

>Will it work with any Bluetooth GPS receiver?
    >
    [Ted] Yes, Mobile XT will work with any Bluetooth GPS receiver. If you
    are new to the Mobile XT, you will need to have two unlock codes. The
    first unlock code is for the detailed map you wish to use, and the
    second unlock code is to unlock the Mobile XT software to be used by any
    Bluetooth GPS receiver (note, that if you have a Garmin Bluetooth
    receiver this software unlock code is not needed).
    Sprint
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    famousdrummer82: I have only used tomtom 6 on my 650. It worked well. I got a Centro and finally transferred tomtom to it using the 680 patch. With the patch it also works well.

CAN ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS? I AM LOOKING TO JUMP ON THE CENTRO BANDWAGON, BUT I REALLY WANT MY TOMTOM 6 TO WORK AS WELL AS IT DOES ON MY CURRENT TREO 650.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/gps_nav.html
    IS THE ABOVE LINK WHAT THE POSTER WAS TALKING ABOUT??
    I got the Garmin Mobile XT to work on my Palm Treo 700p as well. I'm using a Holux M-1000 BT GPS receiver. To my surprise, this thing actually works better than my Tomtom 6 in my 700p IMHO. It has more features than Tomtom6, and the deal sealer is that Mobile XT can run on the background, while Tomtom 6 cannot. To really make use of either Mobile XT or Tomtom6 though, you have to have the right SD or SDHC card. I tried an OCZ 150x 2gb SD, Ultra 60x 2gb SD, and A-Data 8gb SDHC Class 6 cards on my Treo...the fastest one turned out to be the A-Data. The delays in routing is very noticeable before I tried the A-Data.
    Last edited by AlpineMan; 12/28/2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I know there was a story here about Palm and Garmin teaming up for a package for the Centro, I just can't find the artical right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast