Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Released v1.0 [Freeware]

Latest version of Treobble as of 01-Dec-2007 is v2.8

Here is an app that lets you rapidly scroll, select and dial (message and email too) numbers by swiping across the screen.

http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.GIF

Features:
    • Free!!! Free!!! Free!!!
    • Fast operation.
    • Lets you scroll and control the speed by swiping across the screen.
    • Three speeds (inch, slow and fast) and forward and reverse!
    • Behaviour is fully configurable.
    • Double tap to bring-up dial selection screen.
    • Small size < 17 kB.
    • Handles upto 300 contacts (for now).
    • NO 'hede' hook-ups.
    • Works on all Treo and Centro smartphones
    • Compatible with TreoSkey (also Freeware).
    • Scroll with 5-Way & starting letters.
    Grab the PRC here: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.PRC
    or the ZIP file here: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.ZIP

Post feedback here. If you like Treobble, please consider donating and supporting its development.

- mvk

PS: Sorry, no screenshots, for now... but I'm sure you'll like it!

PPS: I also need advice on how to handle things if Apple starts breathing down my neck.

PPPS: There is small learning-curve with the swiping and double-tapping to use Treobble properly.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 12/01/2007 at 05:37 AM.
    Game over!
    Here's my initial feedback:
    Scrolling up seems more difficult than scrolling down, is there a different way to go up? I am just dragging my index finger up the screen.
    The double tap for the dial menu seems inconsistent, sometimes it will open when I am trying to scroll, and sometimes when I try to dial a number the contact just flashes black, but nothing happens.
    Is the speed controlled by the finger speed or is there something else?
    I guess I would still need to view contacts occassionally, like to get their home address or birthdate, but this isn't supposed to be a contact replacement, right?
    I don't think you need to worry about Apple (I am not a lawyer though).
  3.    #3  
    Oh... I see the problem...

You need to PRESS the NUMBER to dial. The ARROW button or an app-switch exits the dial screen.

BEFORE pressing the number, you can select what you want to do: | DIAL | SMS | EMAIL |. Use the 5-way in the dial form and you will know what is happening there.

No, this one is already a resource hog, it will not do birthdates, birthday cakes, MP3 ringtones, picture caller IDs etc. It is just for rapidly selecting a number and dialling. Nothing else.

Regarding the scrolling problems reported, I think there is some getting used to with the swiping and double-tapping. Try it, maybe a few 10s of times and it will become second nature.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 11/22/2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Here's my initial feedback:
    Scrolling up seems more difficult than scrolling down, is there a different way to go up? I am just dragging my index finger up the screen.
    The double tap for the dial menu seems inconsistent, sometimes it will open when I am trying to scroll, and sometimes when I try to dial a number the contact just flashes black, but nothing happens.
    Is the speed controlled by the finger speed or is there something else?
    I guess I would still need to view contacts occassionally, like to get their home address or birthdate, but this isn't supposed to be a contact replacement, right?
    I don't think you need to worry about Apple (I am not a lawyer though).
    The inconsistency with the double tap waists time. I could have used my my native applications in multiplications while trying to get that one feature to work.
    at&t iPhone3G
  5.    #5  
    There are not many Palm applications that use a SCREEN DOUBLE-TAP. There must be a reason for that.

The double tap is as reported by the OS. Like I mentioned before, there is some getting use to it.

- mvk
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    works v smoothly

while I cant see any use for it for me for contacts (since it's more work than say using takephone's find function) it would be great if one could define a folder of choice (in particular one full of images) as the source for the items. it would be very helpful to be able to rapidly scroll though a series of full-screen images.

puzzled by the name of this one is it meant to sound like "trouble" because of your fear of some Applesque revenge?
    also isnt this the first of your apps thats not prefs-resident--are you branching out into new territory??

kudos to your ever fertile mind!! one never knows what you are coming up with next.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    works v smoothly
    Thanks... though I'm not into that type of thing, it's good to hear that atleast somebody has no problems with Treobble.

I find it amazing; Treobble breaks new ground, occupies only 17 kB, and is FREEWARE, and people (I don't mean you) try to compare it with well established, mature, commercial products like TAKEphONE that have been in development and been improved upon for several years. Treobble is only four days old, including the time taken to code and test it!

Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    puzzled by the name of this one is it meant to sound like "trouble" because of your fear of some Applesque revenge?
    also isnt this the first of your apps thats not prefs-resident--are you branching out into new territory??
    Of-course my other non-prefs resident apps are TreoCalc, TreoMsgr and TreoSpot... I have a feeling that Treobble will be the last of my PalmOS apps. It just had to be done.

Regarding the name, I simply liked the sound of "Treobble".

- mvk
    Game over!
    Great job, & congrats on a good app!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Uploaded v1.3

Update Log:
    • Select display colours.
    • Got rid of the double-tap dialler-form activation. Tap-hold-and-release a particular row for "Popup Delay" (configurable) time to activate the dialler.
    • Saves and restores previous position in list.
    • Code cleanup.

And thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback about the double-tap problem. The tap-hold-and-release activation is so much more natural and efficient.

PRC: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.PRC
    ZIP: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.ZIP

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 11/23/2007 at 05:19 AM.
    Game over!
  10.    #10  
    Uploaded v1.5

Update Log:
    • Fixed string drawing routines.
    • Use 5-way to navigate and select.
    • Use Space to move up, Backspace to jump to first entry, Return to Dial.
    • Use side button to dial.
    • Full compatibility with TreoSkey [Freeware] See: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSkey/TreoSkey.PRC
    • Added Contacts... menu item.

PRC: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.PRC
    ZIP: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble.ZIP

- mvk
    Game over!
    bummer - I was able to run this app one time, and now every time I launch it I get a soft reset. However it seemed very cool.

UPDATE: I was able to run the new version (1.5) one time and then upon exit it rebooted. Same thing as 1.3 now - soft reset upon initializing.
    Last edited by krock; 11/23/2007 at 12:55 PM.
    yep.
  12.    #12  
    I've tested this on most Treo (650/ 680/ 700P) and Centro simulators (both debug and release versions). That's in addition to using it on my own Treo 650 which is loaded to the gills with software - just 1.8 MB left - that I use both professionally and personally. I haven't got any resets or any other errors.

I really wonder why people are getting resets with this. Are you guys having more than 300 contacts? That's a limitation, for now.
    I only have 233 contacts. I am running on a 755p. I was able to launch and use 1.3 once, and then upon exiting it reset the phone and was never been launch-able again. I then upgraded to 1.5 and it did exactly the same thing.

The ##377 message is:
    A rest was caused on ... running Treobble:
    Emul68kMain.c, Line:456, line 111 exception at address 6489BC60.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by krock; 11/23/2007 at 01:57 PM.
    yep.
  14.    #14  
    Hello krock... and others who have been reporting resets.

It appears that Treobble has been hogging memory (when it is active) and this has been the cause of some resets.

I've attached v1.6b1 that is a BETA for testing. In that, I've significantly changed how memory is utilized (so it's much faster in loading, and it is more efficient too) and limited the loading of contacts to the first 150 or so entries (only for testing purposes).

Please try this and report your observations. Please uninstall any previous versions of Treobble.

BETA Dowload: http://www.swCP3.com/Treobble/Treobble_1_6b1.PRC REMOVED!!! DOWNLOAD FROM MAIN SITE

You could also use DbFixIt (from www.pimlicosoftware.com, NOT freeware) to scan you Address DB for errors.

- mvk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 11/24/2007 at 02:07 PM.
    Game over!
    I deleted 1.5, soft reset, then hot synced in 1.61b. I get a soft reset when it is run.

I have run both dbscan and dbfixit and neither reports any issues.

Thanks for the effort - are there any logs or errors I can give you that might help?
    yep.
    I removed all versions and loaded the first one you posted in this thread. While I still got a reset, the error message was as follows:
    StringMgr.c, Line:68, NULL string passed.

Hope that helps.
    yep.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by krock View Post
    I removed all versions and loaded the first one you posted in this thread. While I still got a reset, the error message was as follows:
    StringMgr.c, Line:68, NULL string passed.

Hope that helps.
    No problem... let me think about it and review the code again. Do you have empty contacts entries without names? Treobble should be able to handle that. But one never knows.

- mvk
    Yes I actually did have one unnamed contact. I have fixed that and will try 1.5 again.

UPDATE: That did it - it now works as expected. Thanks for the suggestion!!
    yep.
    Now that it is working and I am considering replacing my default Contacts app with it I have an enhancement question for you - can you get the pattern matching working?

For example, I can already type a C to get to the C's, but if I type CR I would like to get all the contacts that match "C R" or "R C" or be able to type CHRIS and match all the Chris entries. I have no idea what that will take, but as far as I am concerned this is the only thing missing to make this an awesome Contact app replacement.

Thanks!!
    yep.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by krock View Post
    Now that it is working and I am considering replacing my default Contacts app with it I have an enhancement question for you - can you get the pattern matching working?

For example, I can already type a C to get to the C's, but if I type CR I would like to get all the contacts that match "C R" or "R C" or be able to type CHRIS and match all the Chris entries. I have no idea what that will take, but as far as I am concerned this is the only thing missing to make this an awesome Contact app replacement.

Thanks!!
    Thanks... krock. I've been thinking about this C...R... etc. But it's a bit too complex, I need to try and get other things I have in mind first. But not to worry, I really have that in the list of things to do.

I still need to fix the empty name syndrome.

Watch-out for the updated release tomorrow.

- mvk
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast