Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresamorrison View Post
    I just installed v. 3.5 on my Centro. I adore this program, really spiffy, and have made a donation.

But.

When I click "All" (bottom left), the list of categories shows briefly, then my Centro makes a scary crackling sound and crashes. It then reboots (by itself, I don't need to soft reset) and all appears well. Until I click "All" again.

Well, I guess I won't click "All" any more because that crackling sound is quite alarming. But OTOH, it would be nice to be able to scroll through brief categories of listings instead of scores of them. Is this fixable?

While I'm up and being picky, is it possible to reduce the font size so there are more names per screen and the list scrolls faster? I looked at the menus but didn't see anything. That would help reduce scrolling volume too.

Please understand I can live with this lovely software the way it is, but of course it's clear you are always striving for perfection....so I thought I'd help you out with these well-meant suggestions.
    Thank you so much Theresamorrison...

Regarding your suggestions... It would be possible to reduce the font size and table height, and make it user configurable too. But I was not thinking of doing that... I am searching for a decent (royalty free) Sans-Serif fonts to replace the built-in fonts (in Treobble). The available free fonts are quiet bad (they are more decorative), and converting fonts designed for Windows don't yield good results. When I add the font feature, I'll also add the feature for size selection. Anybody knowing of good PalmOS fonts can please post pointers in this thread. The fonts should be similar to Futura...

Now regarding the croaking sounds and resets... oops... sorry... I always think my software should never cause resets under any circumstances - it is better if it simply doesn't work.

There are a few steps to ensure that the problem is not with your device (I'm not saying there's no problem with Treobble, but it's only because this is the first time I've got this bug report).
    • Install DbFixIt (from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/ - it's shareware) and scan the contacts database to ensure that there is no problem with that.
    • Go to Treobble->Menu->Perferences and switch-off "Make Clicking Sounds"... do you still get the sounds? This is important.
    • One suggestion: Do you happen to have empty categories? If so, as a temporary measure, you can delete the empty category and try. (I admit, I never anticipated the possibility of an empty category before this).
    BTW, how many categories and addressbook records do you have?

Anybody else having this particular problem? I'd like to hear about this... Is is Centro specific (though unlikely)? Does it happen with other devices?

Thanks once again... for the donation and for reporting this problem.

- mvk
    Hi--Since you said it was important, I began by turning off the clicking noises command, and the crashing has gone away. So that appears to have been the problem; many thanks for suggesting it. What is clicking for, anyway? Whatever, I'm pretty sure that I can live without it!

I wish I had helpful suggestions about font sources, but I don't. I hope someone else does, though.
    Okay Hexy, here's a challenge. 2cool4u now has contact pictures (if assigned) associated with the scolling display.
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Okay Hexy, here's a challenge. 2cool4u now has contact pictures (if assigned) associated with the scolling display.
    Do you guys really want that? it's so simple (and boring) to do...

I was thinking of dumping the whole Treobble thing because, other than treo|central, Treobble has been thrashed in almost every other forum, with negative comments and worse or by being completely ignored... (It appears that people went out of their way to ignore it) while at the same time the other programs have been lapped-up as being innovative and out-of-the-world.

Theresamorrison >>

I will look into this... it should never happen... The clicking was an UI feature to indicate certain operations were completed (like scrolling has stopped). But it appears that in your case, that feature malfunctioned (don't know why, though).

-mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 12/21/2007 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I was thinking of dumping the whole Treobble thing because, other than treo|central, Treobble has been thrashed in almost every other forum, with negative comments and worse or by being completely ignored... (It appears that people went out of their way to ignore it) while at the same time the other programs have been lapped-up as being innovative and out-of-the-world.
    -mvk
    I think Treobble is great! My only problem is the loading time when there are a lot of contacts.
    Do you guys really want that? it's so simple (and boring) to do...
    -mvk
    I don't even use pictures, just thought that it might appeal to the masses.
  7.    #147  
    Updated to v3.6

Update Notes:
    • Improved slow-to-a-stop, you can (probably) feel the scrolling slow down and stop.

One comment about Initial Speed: A lower value - say, 3 - does not automatically mean the performance will be better. It all depends on the response you are comfortable with. Values between 3 to 25 will work with 10 being the approximate "normal" value. Users having problems getting Treobble to scroll should try 10, 8 or 12 first... and then change it to a value they are comfortable with. I have it set at 20.

And rossarnie and johncc, I really appreciate your support (as of all others here on T|C.)

Regarding pics... I'm only hesitant to do it because it will slow down the scrolling speed (not really a problem, because scrolling is fast now) and cause flicker. The other issue is the interface could start looking too clumsy with too many graphical elements. Not to criticize 2Cool4U as it is from a much more experienced programmer and is definitely an elegant implementation (the "boxes" actually move while swiping), but it is more difficult to "grasp" the information displayed on the screen; it's too "busy"

Theresamorrison>>
    Please try v3.6, the croaking noises followed by resets should'nt be there, even if the clicking sounds are enabled.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 12/21/2007 at 01:41 AM.
    Game over!
    I just installed 3.9 on the Centro. I'm sort of sorry to say that I am using my new HTC Mogul that I won here on the Smartphone Round Robin. It's not taking too much to learn using the WM system. Looked a lot harder than it is. My biggest problem has been that I already miss so many programs and shortcuts that I had gotten used to on the 755, and my other POS phones. Yours ranks up there as one of my favorites, and I can't tell you how great it is that you work so hard for this. Thank goodness for my wife's Centro. I have one that should be here Saturday or Monday for me in case I don't end up liking the Mogul. I'm thinking I'm going to like it a lot. The Windows Mobile would be much better if it had the 750 Treo running it. Keyboard is no fun. Let me know when I can work this out on my WM devise. HEY....Where is my easter egg?
    Last edited by RickMG; 12/21/2007 at 08:43 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Have you played around with StyleTap? I'm curious if it would ease the transition t WM. I'd also be curious if something like Treobble worked through it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I just installed 3.9 on the Centro. I'm sort of sorry to say that I am using my new HTC Mogul that I won here on the Smartphone Round Robin. It's not taking too much to learn using the WM system. Looked a lot harder than it is. My biggest problem has been that I already miss so many programs and shortcuts that I had gotten used to on the 755, and my other POS phones. Yours ranks up there as one of my favorites, and I can't tell you how great it is that you work so hard for this. Thank goodness for my wife's Centro. I have one that should be here Saturday or Monday for me in case I don't end up liking the Mogul. I'm thinking I'm going to like it a lot. The Windows Mobile would be much better if it had the 750 Treo running it. Keyboard is no fun. Let me know when I can work this out on my WM devise. HEY....Where is my easter egg?
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    I'd also be curious if something like Treobble worked through it.
    Yeah... I'd like to hear if it works too... Though I suppose StyleTap is good for "offline" stuff like games and database applications.

I've been extermely careful not to use tricks and shortcuts in Treobble. It's a raw, textbook implementation in PalmOS. It should work with older releases of PalmOS too. But would it dial out a number? I doubt it, as that is part of the Palm SDK and not part of PalmOS (GarnetOS).

<goes to StyleTap website />

- mvk
    Oh my God! I cannot believe StyleTap. I just installed the trial version. I can't believe that my aps are working with it although, sorry to say, Treobble isn't. Says it's not supported.

Well, I'll try some more and maybe this ap will be worth its $50 pricetag. Thanks for the info.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
  12.    #152  
    Treobble isn't. Says it's not supported.
    Does Treobble give an incompatibility dialog, or does StyleTap complain?

- mvk
    Does Treobble give an incompatibility dialog, or does StyleTap complain?

- mvk
    I sure wish I could do screen shots, but snap won't work either.

When I click on Treobble a box comes on at the bottom that says:

Error

Incompatible Device

I actually think it's a Treobble error as it's in the Treobble program box that opens.

Then you have the option to close out. I can see aproblem with Style Tap. Every .prc I download or have goes automatically to Style Tap. I still have a Centro and needed to install something on it tonight (DA) and had to download directly to the Centro.
  14.    #154  
    I sure wish I could do screen shots, but snap won't work either.

When I click on Treobble a box comes on at the bottom that says:

Error

Incompatible Device

I actually think it's a Treobble error as it's in the Treobble program box that opens.
    Yes, it is a Treobble dialog... I need to either disable the compatibility check or add StyleTap to the list.

- mvk
  15.    #155  
    Attached v3.6vx with compatibility testing disabled (you'd still get the warning dialog box though.)

You could try it with other PalmOS devices too, T|X maybe...

- mvk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Game over!
    Updated to v3.6

Theresamorrison>>
    Please try v3.6, the croaking noises followed by resets should'nt be there, even if the clicking sounds are enabled.

- mvk
    I just installed v3.7. I changed no settings. The scrolling has all but stopped. Wiping my finger up or down either does nothing or scrolls jerkily, stopping often. I find I'm pressing harder when I try to scroll, so I end up opening contacts I don't want. Can I pls get the earlier version back? It scrolled fine and I can live easily without the clicking.
  17.    #157  
    Unfortunately, I don't archive releases... nor do I use CVS . Maybe somebody out here could help you.

That being said, I wonder why you are having problems with v3.7 (any body else seeing this?). Are your [Menu]->[Settings] "default"?
  18. wsm
    I also get "incompatible device" on centro.
    the latest version doens't work with the AT&T Centro....
  20. wsm
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoveney View Post
    the latest version doens't work with the AT&T Centro....
    version linked from posting #155 does work - but you get the "invalid" message first.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast