1.    #1  
    I'm a 650 owner ready to pull the trigger on the Centro, but I wanted to know if anyone gave any other smartphones some serious consideration. I like everything about the Centro except that the screen is smaller. I've been doing much more video watching on my phone and actually considered getting an iPhone, but the lack of physical keyboard and weak game emulation was a deal breaker for me. So was there anything else worth considering?
    smart reviews for serious gamers
    <A HREF="http://mobile.gamecritics.com">mobile.gamecritics.com</A>
    I'd check out the blackberry curve or 8830. Think they have a video player. Doubtful on the game emulation though. If you go the win mob side you're looking at bigger bricks, but you'll have the functionality you want. Might be worth seeing what the next win mob treo looks like if you want to hold out a few months.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'd check out the blackberry curve or 8830.
    If you go the win mob side you're looking at bigger bricks, but you'll have the functionality you want.
    Surely if you are going to consider the Curve (no touch screen) you would also consider non-touch screen WM phones like the Samsung Blackjack and Blackjack II, or the T-Mobile Dash or Shadow?

Surur
    I just don't like any of those phones because of the screen size. You lose over a quarter of the screen to those top and bottom bars. To my knowledge you can't get rid of them. I also played with the Q for a few weeks and ultimately didn't like it. Liked the 8830 much better. Like the Curve just because it's smaller. Just my opinion on that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  5.    #5  
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but blackberry's aren't well known for multimedia. Is that correct?

I'm looking for competitors to Centro and iPhone as far as multimedia apps, game emulation and core phone funtionality.

Chi
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GC_Chi View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but blackberry's aren't well known for multimedia. Is that correct?

I'm looking for competitors to Centro and iPhone as far as multimedia apps, game emulation and core phone funtionality.

Chi
    I think you just described the Touch. Played with at a Sprint store but just couldn't justify the price when the Centro is on $99.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    I think you just described the Touch. Played with at a Sprint store but just couldn't justify the price when the Centro is on $99.
    The Touch wont have enough buttons for his purpose (game emulation).

Surur
    the touch has issues too. the guy at the sprint store I was at said a majority of them have been returned.

You can do movies and music on the Curve. It's the 3rd party stuff for game emulation you're losing. As a phone it's solid. Think the new Curve will have built in GPS too.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The Touch wont have enough buttons for his purpose (game emulation).
    Bingo and doesn't the touch have lower resolution than the Centro.

Centro is looking more and more solid for me.

Chi
  10.    #10  
    I was also more interesting in your own personal experiences as far as your decision making process and what other phones you considered for your own needs and why you ultimately settled on or rejected the Centro.

Chi
    I've got a long standing history with palm from the pilot 1000. I love the interface and the simplicity. I like the third party programs and all the things you can make it do. I like the touch screen.

WM like the Q and Dash: didn't care for the interface. Not as easy to do basic phone and PIM functions. prefer not to use outlook if I can help it. Don't like losing part of my screen to the top and bottom bars.

BB: was very stable and pretty easy to use. Email was uber easy but you pay for it. didn't like the simplistic calendar and contacts. I use agendus and like the extra features it offers. lack of 3rd party support for programs I like. Heck, couldn't even find a free world clock. It was thin, light and easy to type on. Had the built in gps, though I didn't really use it.

The lack of touchscreen really made a difference to me as well on the above two. If you're a gamer and mutlimedia centric I think you'd probably steer away from the BB (mostly for the gaming). I think the Centro will do everything you want it to do. If you're stuck with Sprint, you only have the old Q as an option. It's a bit aged compared to the newer WM devices, and it's not getting any updates either (if I remember correctly. I stopped following once I decided against it).

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ...WM like the Q and Dash: didn't care for the interface. Not as easy to do basic phone and PIM functions. prefer not to use outlook if I can help it....I think the Centro will do everything you want it to do. If you're stuck with Sprint, you only have the old Q as an option...
    Well the new Q is coming within a week. But I agree that WM isn't nearly as well-oiled for doing the most routine PIM/phone tasks compared with PalmOS. WM is better for non-PIM operations, particularly Internet surfing and there is growing vitality in the 3rd party apps market, unlike PalmOS. But the Centro is a better choice if PIM/phone is your first priority.

(right now I'm struggling with molding the Touch to suit my needs. It just isn't as smooth as PalmOS for the daily stuff. But it does have strengths elsewhere... all a bunch of tradeoffs...)