1.    #1  
    Has anyone else experienced random hard resets with their 755p? I have seen this before and chalked it up to some conflicting software I have installed.

I have basically been running for weeks without any 3rd party software other than NVBackup. Its been very stable until last night. Got in my car after gym and went to make a phone call only to be greeted by it resetting and then showing a reformatting screen! I just love when it finally boots and says tap here to align touchscreen... Ughhh! What a pita!

Thoughts?
    Just last night I experienced it and I'm not sure why. I was using the IM app and all of a sudden I had a hard reset that hosed up everything. Now, NVBackup is not working when I try to restore.
    That's happened to me a couple times since May.

I'm not sure, and I hope I don't get a chance to test this, but it appears to happen when I try to access the internet (through Blazer) in an area with a weak signal.
  4. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fbarickm View Post
    Has anyone else experienced random hard resets with their 755p? I have seen this before and chalked it up to some conflicting software I have installed.

I have basically been running for weeks without any 3rd party software other than NVBackup. Its been very stable until last night. Got in my car after gym and went to make a phone call only to be greeted by it resetting and then showing a reformatting screen! I just love when it finally boots and says tap here to align touchscreen... Ughhh! What a pita!

Thoughts?
    My 755p does this about once or twice a week. A real headache. It takes a couple of warm resets & soft resets to fix everything. Every now and then I have to do a hard reset, to clean it up. The 755p is a great phone when it works, but this is ridiculous to happen so often. Reminds of the days of Windows ME on my laptop.
  5.    #5  
    NVbackup still working for me, but its just a pain in the ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by fbarickm View Post

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
    Just last night I experienced it and I'm not sure why. I was using the IM app and all of a sudden I had a hard reset that hosed up everything. Now, NVBackup is not working when I try to restore.
    You just don't get random hard resets...you get random resets. A random hard reset would really suck since you would lose all data back to factory settings every time. You have to initially apply a hard reset when experiencing heavy issue and then utilize your backup tools.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Yes, I have had a random hard reset as well - sort of. I did a reset with it plugged in once and I'm not sure if that works differently but that turned into a hard reset - everything was gone. I was never prompted to press the up button, etc.

I've also experienced a lock up, reboot loop that when it finally stopped resulted in everything being gone.

I've also had a reboot loop that could not be broken or actually resulted in being stuck at the Access Powered screen. This resulted in a trip to the Sprint store and a second 755.

So a spontaneous hard reset can occur.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    You just don't get random hard resets...you get random resets. A random hard reset would really suck since you would lose all data back to factory settings every time. You have to initially apply a hard reset when experiencing heavy issue and then utilize your backup tools.
    Yes, I did mean "hard" reset and it does suck! I have learned to keep NV on my gmail account so I can load the client and then perform a restore. It took me 3 or 4 hard resets to learn this the hard way!
    Might be worth checking the option in NVbackup to include a copy of NVBackup on your card. Then the default launcher can see it and you can restore quicker.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Might be worth checking the option in NVbackup to include a copy of NVBackup on your card. Then the default launcher can see it and you can restore quicker.
    thanks... turns out it was there all along... still a PITA that the 755p kills itself but this makes life easier!
  11.    #11  
    D@mnit! 2 hard resets in just one hour today?

Notes:

1st one happened after missing a call. Phone LED blinking green, power on (hit red power key), see missed call and voicemail message, and then it hard resets!

2nd one, powered on, no missed calls, just hard reset!

Ugh this is frustrating.
  12.    #12  
    ##377# says that the last crash occurred on

9/13/07 at 8:21PM while running "Web"

--- Not helpful since today is 11/29/07!!!
    I would just have them replace the phone.

There's no downside to that.
    how are you finding out what the last crash was if it hard reset? A hard reset wipes everything out including the log files. A soft reset would still keep the data.

But I agree it should be replaced.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    how are you finding out what the last crash was if it hard reset? A hard reset wipes everything out including the log files. A soft reset would still keep the data.

But I agree it should be replaced.
    Cavingjan, sorry you are right... that does make sense when I think about it...

I am restoring from a daily NVbackup... so when I restore from it I guess I get my last crash? Now the backup is perfromed daily at 1AM and is incremental (I think). So I guess that is the last crash I had... not too bad when you look at it that way! (Or am I still thinking about this wrong...)

Thanks
    It shouldn't be incremental. It should be a full backup each night. Its not that much information and doesn't take that long. It only takes some time if you are uploading it to an ftp server.