Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Subject kind of says it all...755p + SanDisk 6GB MicroSDHC in a MiniSD adapter = 1730.4MB?

That's all I'm seeing. I formatted the card on my PC four times, twice each with the internal SD reader and the SanDisk MicroMate SD/SDHC reader that came with the card. I alternated between the default cluster size and 16K clusters.

Cardinfo is also reporting 0KB free - even though there's only 758.5MB of data on the card.

Is there a trick to getting this thing off the ground? Or am I stuck at 1730.4MB until Palm (hopefully) releases some kind of update?
    Last edited by xpanmanx; 11/20/2007 at 07:59 PM.
    I am thinking that 4GB is the current limit, but I have not paid much attention in that regard recently.

Anyway -- for giggles -- try formatting the card with the Treo.

Cheers, Perry.
    What does your PC report as free space on the card?

Possibility of being a bad card is always an option, as well.
  4.    #4  
    When they're in a PC, the cards look perfectly normal. 5.68GB formated to FAT32-16k.

Yeah, it's "cards"...one for me, and one for my wife.

In her Centro, the cards report 1723.0MB with plenty of free space. So the Centro is behaving differently than the 755P in that respect.

In my barely-retired 700P with the Sprint MR, a freshly-formatted card in an SD adapter is reporting 1723.0MB free of 1723.0MB . A 4GB SDHC SD card in that same 700P reports 3878.8MB free of 3878.8MB.

So I guess that's it for 6GB SDHC compatibility in my household. /sigh Talk about an object lesson: look before you leap!

Any thoughts about how to get these cards to work at full capacity?
    Last edited by xpanmanx; 11/20/2007 at 09:23 PM.
    just thinking and don't know if you can do it - but maybe you can partition your 6gb card into two partitions, a 4gb and 2gb - you might be able to then see one partition and/or maybe two? - I'm sure others here might know if that is possible.
    On the 700p with the SDHC hack there was a bug that caused the device not to report free space on the card accurately. Perhaps it made it to the 755? For instance, I have an 8gb sd card, but it only shows less than 4gb free, despite the fact that I have 6gb+ of stuff on it. I can access all my data without an issue.

I would load the card up on your pc, stick it in your phone, and see if you can't access all the data.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm OS Garnet can only "see" individual file volumes up to 4gb due to its 32-bit memory addressing system. SO...this means that a 6gb card is seen as a 4gb + 2gb volume. 8gb cards are treated as two separate 4gb volumes. 16gb SDHC cards DO work but show up as four separate 4gb blocks. So you basically need to ensure that your 6gb or larger card never has "exactly" 4gb on it. Have either more or less than the 4gb milestone and you'll be ok. Confused? Of course. Palm wants to do everything possible to tread water until Garnet is put out to pastureso they can avoid having to deal with this issue. That, IMO, is the main reason they regressed from fullsize SDHC (on the 680 & 700) to miniSD to microSD. They're hoping to keep their users on 4gb or smaller cards for as long as possible.
  8.    #8  
    Quick update. I followed the instructions in this post and dropped the 680's slot driver onto the 755P and the Centro. Now the 755P can see the free space on the card but still reports it as 1730.4MB.

The Centro appears unchanged.

I installed CardExport II onto the 755P and the handheld app shows a 5830.4MB disk. Unfortunately CE2 reboots the handheld the second I connect the USB cable. I guess that's because of the hacked slot driver. No matter, I was just using CE2 as a means of confirming that the handheld could see the full card under certain circumstances.

Wait a second - those reboots which happen when I plug in the USB cable are continuing even though I've deleted CE2 and restarted the phone about 1/2-dozen times. The phone reboots when the cable is plugged in whether or not there's a card in the slot. Not cool. So the problem is not CE2, the problem is with the hacked slot driver. Shoot.

I did a hard reset and restored using BackupBuddyVFS from the card, unselecting the slot driver (and incidentally, Pref Doctor which has given me problems on full restores). BBVFS produced outstanding results, just like it always does. BUT the reboot problem persists and I've been looking for help.

@adjmcloon: Problem is that the card isn't writable without the hacked slot driver installed. If your suggestion worked, I'd be able to read but not write which would be kinda...boring.

@hkklife, @MouseGlider: Thanks for the jumpstart. By chance do either of you know how to partition flash memory?
    I am looking to purchase this 6gb card as well so i am very interested in this thread.

to the original poster - are you having trouble with just having the treo read the right sapce available on the card or is it unusable as well? are you still able to install/write stuff to it on the treo? are you still able to install files to the card thru hotsync?

If the only problem is seeing the right capacity on the card then i could live with it. But we couldnt write to it on the treo, then its pretty useless to me.

Hope we could find a solution to make this work... this is what i plan to get on my Black Friday spree
    Quote Originally Posted by xpanmanx View Post
    @hkklife, @MouseGlider: Thanks for the jumpstart. By chance do either of you know how to partition flash memory?
    My best guess is that you would partion it via your computer not your Treo
  11.    #11  
    Happy Thanksgiving!

@Bulls96: My 755P won't see more than 1730.4MB of the 6GB card, and, until I installed the 680's slot-card driver, it wouldn't see any available space and therefore couldn't write to the card. The 700P and the Centro both see the card as 1730MB, but, unlike my 755P, they can write to it.

@MouseGlider: Can't partition an SD card on Windows Vista. Maybe it can be done on an earlier version of Windows, but I haven't tried. I was able to use GPartEd on Ubuntu 7.10 to carve a 4GB SD card in half, but, when I popped the card into a Vista box, I could format/mount only the front partition. Disk Manager wouldn't let me do anything with the back half of the card.
    Last edited by xpanmanx; 11/22/2007 at 05:25 AM.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

@Bulls96: My 755P won't see more than 1730.4MB of the 6GB card, and, until I installed the 680's slot-card driver, it wouldn't see any available space and therefore couldn't write to the card. The 700P and the Centro both see the card as 1730MB, but, unlike my 755P, they can write to it.
    So if i install the treo 680 driver i wouldnt have any problems writing to it anymore?

Happy thanksgiving to everyone!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Bad move to install the 680's slot driver onto the 755p. The 755p is a newer device than the 680 and is fully FAT32/SDHC compatible.

Let me rephrase: FAT32/SDHC drivers allow the use of 4gb CARDS. The problem you are encountering is a PALM OS FILESYSTEM limitation. No amount of driver (at this time) swapping is going to get around the fact that PALM DOES NOT WANT ANYONE USING CARDS LARGER THAN 4GB IN THEIR ANTIQUATED DEVICES!

My recommendation would be to invest in a cheap SDHC USB reader for your PC and bypas Hotsyncing whenever possible. Just drag & drop files to the SD card from Windows and you should be good to go. Basically, treat the SD card like a read-only storage, at least for the larger files.

If the problems persist, it might be easier to just buy two separate 4gb cards and go that route.

I personally would leave everything "as is" if I had the 755p, as its already fully SDHC & FAT32 aware.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Bad move to install the 680's slot driver onto the 755p. The 755p is a newer device than the 680 and is fully FAT32/SDHC compatible...
    ...with SDHC cards of 4GB or less.

If I swap the driver I can use the 6GB card which I've already paid for as a read/write file system. If I don't swap the driver I can only use the card as a read-only file system, which doesn't really get me where I need to be with regards to my large SnapperMail information store.

Of course, things are not perfect. With the 680's driver on my 755P, when I connect the HotSync cable between my computer and the handheld, the handheld immediately reboots. /sigh I can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Just drag & drop files to the SD card from Windows and you should be good to go. Basically, treat the SD card like a read-only storage, at least for the larger files.
    Could you explain the last sentence? I can't see any free space on the card at all without installing the 680's driver, so I can't write to it. Thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Done with it. I took one of the 6GB cards, mounted it on my Gutsy Gibbon system, used GPartEd to destroy the exiting full-disk partition, and greated a 3990MB partition, leaving 2GB unused. It's working fine in my 755P. I'll do the same thing for the wife's Centro this evening.

Any ideas on how I can use that remaining 2GB?
    xpanmanx,

I think you are stuck simply making use of the 1st 4gb partition and losing the 2nd 2gb partiton - although not the solution that you had hoped for - the only thing that you can probably do is use the 2nd 2gb partition as a spare temp storage of files when you connect to your computer.

Maybe store some backups there - although your Treo can't see them maybe your computer via a card-reader could - you might as well use it for something if you can. You can always get the info from that 2gb portion if you need it - maybe hide some password or other important files there that only your computer can see - kind of like a hidden vault for your Treo. :-)
  17.    #17  
    @MouseGlider: Lemonade from lemons. Thanks! :>

I *thought* I was done with this mess, but, when I came home from the Turkey Day dinner, and tried to HotSync my phone, it rebooted immediately upon connecting the USB cable. WTH?!

Then I remembered that I had installed CardExport II during this oddessy. And I'd also removed it throught the Launcher. I thought that reinstalling it might fix things, but, nooooo. Then as I was nosing through the app, I noticed an uninstall option. So I tried to remove it that way. I got some warning about a USB driver conflict, I just clicked through it. The uninstall restarted my handheld, and now, I can connect my USB cable and it doesn't reboot the phone. Weirdness abounds!
    ...with SDHC cards of 4GB or less.

If I swap the driver I can use the 6GB card which I've already paid for as a read/write file system. If I don't swap the driver I can only use the card as a read-only file system, which doesn't really get me where I need to be with regards to my large SnapperMail information store.

Of course, things are not perfect. With the 680's driver on my 755P, when I connect the HotSync cable between my computer and the handheld, the handheld immediately reboots. /sigh I can't win.

Could you explain the last sentence? I can't see any free space on the card at all without installing the 680's driver, so I can't write to it. Thanks.
    Ok so its really of choosing between being able to read/write on te card thru the Treo OR Be able to hotsync? and hav e to choose between the 2 when doing this?
  19.    #19  
    @Bulls96: I've worked it out. Use a Linux distro to format the 6GB card to just under 4GB...that sets the partition size to something that allows the 755P to read and write to the card. Shame that I can't use the whole 6GB but maybe someday...

The second part -rebooting upon USB connect- was traced to a bad install or uninstall of Card Export II.

Thanks for your participation in this thread --
    @Bulls96: I've worked it out. Use a Linux distro to format the 6GB card to just under 4GB...that sets the partition size to something that allows the 755P to read and write to the card. Shame that I can't use the whole 6GB but maybe someday...

The second part -rebooting upon USB connect- was traced to a bad install or uninstall of Card Export II.

Thanks for your participation in this thread --
    so what's the difference now between using a 4gb card and a 6gb? I know you can access the entire 6gb on a PC but did you mean you could write on the card when installing stuff thru hotsync?

I know its confusing but I am kind of confused with this. example I have a 6gb card right? what if I am already using about 3.5gb already. Will I still be able to read and write on the remaining 2.5gb?

thanks for explaining.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast