Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    so what's the difference now between using a 4gb card and a 6gb
    My experience as detailed in this thread, gives me the opinion that its just simpler to use a 4GB card.

My 755P won't allow read/write on a partition of larger than 4GB. It might allow read-only, but I cannot confirm at this time because I've implemented the solution outlined herein.

So the answer, then, was to buy a 4GB card, or take the 6GB card and create a partition of no larger than 4GB for use with the handheld. Since I already owned a 6GB card, I went with the latter choice.

I had to jump through a low-hanging hoop because Windows won't allow you to configure more than one partition on a removable storage device. I plugged the card into a Unix system, deleted all partitions, created a 3990MB partition, and left the rest of the card unassigned. Yay, me. It works fine in my 755P.

The question which I haven't answered yet is similar to the one which you've just asked me: If I create a 2GB partition on the back half of the card, will it be recognized by Windows? How 'bout the handheld - will it see the back partition as a second NVFS drive? I think the answers are going to be yes, and no, respectively. We'll find out as soon as I have some spare time.

That's why I say that it would be much easier to just buy a 4GB SDHC card. No trickery, or wasted space, required.
    Last edited by xpanmanx; 11/23/2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Buy a 4gb mini sd card from who? Who has the best deals and are in stock and will work in my 755p?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cscott44 View Post
    Buy a 4gb mini sd card from who? Who has the best deals and are in stock and will work in my 755p?
    I got lucky, yesterday I ordered a 4gb from buy.com:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-4gb...205728879.html

Note that it's class 4, I don't know if the 755's hardware is that fast but it can't hurt. =) Get $10 off with a new google checkout account. Total cost $14 shipped.

I will say in general that the Palm can natively see multiple memory cards, I've used e2internaldrive with both an actual miniSD and Drive Mode (if I remember the name right) and launcher can see them fine, and I can manipulate them with UniCMD. As I recall certain antiquated PalmOS devices had multiple memory slots (CF and SmartDisk? Do I remember that right? =) so it seems like partitioning might have been included with that support.

I'm still waiting for my miniSD, I'll try to give the double-partition (2x2) a shot unless you get to it first... I fully intend to reformat it using the Palm before I put it into general use so that's pretty much a wash.

In general, I've noticed that most recent PalmOS apps write to the first available card (including popular backup programs, warning warning), but perhaps you could shift stuff around onboard with UniCMD or Resco Explorer.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I get to it first.
    Good news guys...

i have been following this thread at mytreo.net with almost the same topic...
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,56701.0.html.

it seems like as long as you can fill up your sd card past the 4gb mark, there shouldnt be any problems reading and writing on it...

for example, on a 6gb card, as long as you have like 4.2gb on the card, you are able to read and write on on the remaining 1.8gb without problems.

I am not sure if that will follow if you fill up a 4.2 gb on an 8 gb card but foillowing the logic it should have no problem.

I think the thing is the OS can only read and write up to 4gb cards only... so if you have a 16gb card as long as you have no more than 4gb left, it should work.

I hope someone else could confirm this so i can buy my 6gb card already...

Apparently someone over that forum has been able to use a 8gb sdhc with a 700p without anyproblems following this solution.
    I just picked up a Sandisk 8gb MicroSD card with adapter through the Verizon store. I formatted the card with fat32 and 32K cluster size. Then I filled it past the 4gb mark with videos. Then I synced to Itunes using the mOcean software. My playlist of another 3gb downloaded just fine.

As a side note I'm listening to the AD2P music thanks to Softick Audio Gateway.

Thanks everyone for commenting about the larger capacity cards. I wouldn've thought to attempt this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    I just picked up a Sandisk 8gb MicroSD card with adapter through the Verizon store. I formatted the card with fat32 and 32K cluster size. Then I filled it past the 4gb mark with videos. Then I synced to Itunes using the mOcean software. My playlist of another 3gb downloaded just fine.

As a side note I'm listening to the AD2P music thanks to Softick Audio Gateway.

Thanks everyone for commenting about the larger capacity cards. I wouldn've thought to attempt this.
    Wow im happy for you man. That's what this community is for i guess... Congrats!

Question though.... about installing thru mOcean... did that occur thru hotsync? did you have trouble hotsyncing files to your card?

and could you detail how you formatted the card with fat32 and 32K cluster size? i dont now whta cluster formatting is.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by bulls96; 12/10/2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Well, this is really odd...

I formatted my card using CardReader doing the 32 16 option. And surprisingly it was being reported correctly.

I then had a whole series of issues very similar to the OP of this thread and did a reformat on the card.

So tonight I've finally got a stable system, and I'm syncing my music over, when I see that it didn't load 492 files because I'm out of memory!!

So my card is only seeing 2 gigs (1.7), rather than the 4 gig mark.

I just reformatted it again using the 32 16 thing. I really don't know what I'm talking about here...should I be doing 32 32?

Anyway, I'm now using CardReader to copy everything back, plus another couple of files that will take me well over the 2-gig mark. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will then be able to see the remaining 4 gigs.

What a PITA this has all turned out to be. If this doesn't work, I guess I'm back to guying a dedicated 4-gig Mini.

ETA: O.k., I now see that I have 4 gigs left! I think I have success.
    Last edited by French; 02/16/2008 at 08:43 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12