1.    #1  
    As others have noted in this forum and in the Centro forum, TextPlus seems to not only create lag in the Treo 755p, but even causes lag when typing in applications that have TextPlus Anywhere enabled. Currently SmartCell is distributing version 5.8, but I've had more luck using version 5.7 on the Treo 755p. It doesn't seem to introduce lag inthe device, and typing lag is minimal though still apparent. I've attached version 5.6 and 5.7 here. See if either works better for you than 5.8.

Three words of warning:
    1. I have RLock installed and enabled on my device, but i do not have RLock lock TextPlus explicitly. However, RLock seems to detect that these older versions did not lock into NVFS and locks them on its own. If you do not use RLock on your device, do not even try these older versions of TextPlus.
    2. I have TextPlus Anywhere configured to show suggestions after 3 letters. If you set for less, you risk too much typing lag.
    3. I have TextPlus Anywhere enabled for only a small set of applications (not "All Applications")

I've posted this thread in the 755p forum because that's what I have and can test. Comments from Centro users would be appreciated as well.

P.S. I do not include the TextPlus dictionary in the zip file. You must get that from SmartCell's site as part of the latest TextPlus download. Also, these versions come from the English version of TextPlus. I do not have any other languages.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Conrad; 11/19/2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added postscript.
    I have the same problem.
    I even believe that it messes with KeyCapps.

Do you have the same issiue with keyCaps???
    and how much better is version 5.7??

also which on is better?? 5.6 or 5.7??
    I am using TextPlus v.5.8 on a Treo 755p and have not encountered any noticeable lag.
    I have it set at "all applications" and "1 letter."
  4.    #4  
    I've continued to test, and I have more results.
    1. I've found that not locking TextPlus explicitly doesn't seem to work with RLock afterall. You do have to set it as locked yourself.
    2. you have to set RLock to lock databases, so do not check "Only lock code in applications"

To answer the above questions:
    - I have found 5.7 to work better than 5.6. it seems faster, but I think it's still worth testing 5.6
    - I do not use KeyCaps, so I can't offer any suggestions.
    - I'm quite jealous Perry! I wish my 755p were more stable and snappier. Even starting with a vanilla 755p I've had problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I've continued to test, and I have more results.
    1. I've found that not locking TextPlus explicitly doesn't seem to work with RLock afterall. You do have to set it as locked yourself.
    2. you have to set RLock to lock databases, so do not check "Only lock code in applications"

To answer the above questions:
    - I have found 5.7 to work better than 5.6. it seems faster, but I think it's still worth testing 5.6
    - I do not use KeyCaps, so I can't offer any suggestions.
    - I'm quite jealous Perry! I wish my 755p were more stable and snappier. Even starting with a vanilla 755p I've had problems.

TextPlus is the only "system" utility I use . . . . no ringer programs . . . . no Butler or Phone Technician programs. . . et cetera. I think these programs may step on each other and create "lag" in our FrankenGarnet world of non-multi tasking. Hopefully, the Palm/LinuxOS that is now supposedly 18 months away will cure that issue.

Programs I do have loaded and am using:

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary)
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free

Opps, I guess Volume Care could be considered a system utility. . .but I think it only comes into play during calls and such.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/20/2007 at 05:37 PM.