1.    #1  
    Apparently, the phone in my 700p just died. Verizon Tech rep is trying to talk me into upgrading. My question is what is there to upgrade to? I would prefer to stay with a Palm, but could consider a windows, I guess. I do need memory card capability because of the audio books I listen to while commuting.

I will be checking other threads, but wanted to ask here also.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    Apparently, the phone in my 700p just died. Verizon Tech rep is trying to talk me into upgrading. My question is what is there to upgrade to? I would prefer to stay with a Palm, but could consider a windows, I guess. I do need memory card capability because of the audio books I listen to while commuting.

I will be checking other threads, but wanted to ask here also.

John
    With Verizon you don't have much of an upgrade path right now. Supposedly they are coming out with the 755p sometime early next month, but then, the rumored release date has changed more than once already. Also you might want to play around with a WinMo device before you commit to buying one. The Palm OS is quite the different experience. I had a Mogul for awhile, and I found it to be slow, and definitely not single handed friendly. The stylus was required way more with WinMo too. These aren't big things for someone used to WinMo, but they will be noticeable to a Palm OS user. I use the Palm Centro now and I absolutely love it.
    The only upgrade for a Verizon 700p currently available, is a Sprint Centro.

Otherwise, go with a Win Mob devise like the other poster said.

4.    #4  
    Well, I got a Samsung i760, and am playing with it over the holidays. Not sure if I am going to like it or not.

Any recommendations for mailing/discussion lists and sources for software for it?
  5.    #5  
    Found a few discussions about the i760, and confirmation on one item that I think will be the killer. You can't work this phone one handed. Heck, I even have a solitaire game on my 700p that I can play one-handed. So, I think I will fall back on my insurance policy, and get a replacement 700p.
  6. 320
    Hi -- how did you know the phone died? My 700p worked fine until today -- now it is frozen on the Verizonwireless screen -- it comes on and says "Network Search..." and has the international "no" symbol over the network icon -- so I press the on/off button and it makes the noise like it's turning the phone on -- but it never gets past the Verizonwireless Welcome screen and remains stuck there. I've done soft, system, and hard resets to no avail...not sure what else I can do.
    Thanks
    Cindy
    Cindy
  7. 320
    Hi John -- I am curious about your comment re listening to audio books on a memory card....how do you get the books onto the card? From CD's or audible.com? I've been wanting to do that but haven't figured out how....tend to load CD's onto my ipod but that takes forever.
    Tnx
    Cindy
    Cindy
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 320 View Post
    Hi John -- I am curious about your comment re listening to audio books on a memory card....how do you get the books onto the card? From CD's or audible.com? I've been wanting to do that but haven't figured out how....tend to load CD's onto my ipod but that takes forever.
    Tnx
    Cindy
    audible allows you chose to bring it to your sd card or internal memory
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  9.    #9  
    Hi -- how did you know the phone died? My 700p worked fine until today -- now it is frozen on the Verizonwireless screen -- it comes on and says "Network Search..." and has the international "no" symbol over the network icon -- so I press the on/off button and it makes the noise like it's turning the phone on -- but it never gets past the Verizonwireless Welcome screen and remains stuck there. I've done soft, system, and hard resets to no avail...not sure what else I can do.
    Thanks
    Cindy
    When I got an incoming call, and pushed the Answer Icon (or the button on by bluetooth headset), the phone screen would indicate that the call had been answered, but I couldn't hear anything. The person on the other end couldn't hear me, and there was no icon indicating Speaker, or Headset. Same problem when I made a call, such as to Voicemail. Tech Support said the Phone function had died. Hard reset didn't fix the problem.

John
  10.    #10  
    Tnx
    Cindy
    My audio books (90%) are from library downloads (See http://www.ebooklocator.com/), or audible.com. I then use a program called Total Recorder to re-record the book in 5 minute blocks. The 5 minute segments allow me to re-find my place if I have a re-set or some other problem while playing the books. I use the same program if I get a CD from the library. BTW, the ebook locater finds NEW books. Terry Goodkind's Confessor is just released, and I already have a copy from the library.

John
  11. 320
    I am within the one year manufacturer's warranty -- by a month -- so am off to the Verizon store this morning to see what they will do. It appears the phone just won't boot up -- everything else works and I've done all the resets several times to no avail. Hopefully they will just replace it.
    Thanks for the info!
    Cindy
    Cindy
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    My audio books (90%) are from library downloads (See http://www.ebooklocator.com/), or audible.com. I then use a program called Total Recorder to re-record the book in 5 minute blocks. The 5 minute segments allow me to re-find my place if I have a re-set or some other problem while playing the books. I use the same program if I get a CD from the library. BTW, the ebook locater finds NEW books. Terry Goodkind's Confessor is just released, and I already have a copy from the library.

John
    John,

Thats a great website. Do you have to join each individual library to access the adudiobooks?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    John,

Thats a great website. Do you have to join each individual library to access the adudiobooks?

When I looked at all of the libraries in Southern California (and Northern CA as well), I discovered that there were several different groups of libraries. LA County, City of LA, Southern Ca Libraries, and a couple of others. I arranged to get cards for 5 different libraries, that cover each of these groups, including getting a card from one of the libraries in Northern CA. If you click on the United States icon, and then your state, you will see all of the different libraries and groups in your area.

I sometimes am on the waiting list for a specific book at three different libraries, and then find it available and download it at a fourth.
  14.    #14  
    I am returning the Samsung i760, and have gotten a replacement 700p from the insurance company.
    Any experiences lately?