1.    #1  
    I was a bit miffed to find Sprint dropping BizConn beyond the 700p. So, I did some poking around.

I recently 'moved up' from a 700p that I loved, into a Centro. At sync, the BizConn would error saying it's not supported on the device, but you could still use it. Sort of.

No 'push' was supported and you really couldn't navigate in the application. However, manual syncing did work, so that told me at least it was still reaching out for the email.

Soo...

Enters Sprint Mobile Email.

IF you already have the original BizConn on the Centro (or the original biz_conn.prc from your treo). And if it's already pseudo syncing, simply download the Sprint Mobile Email .prc and restart the Centro. When you open BizConn, and an email, you'll find the original 'push messages to my device' is back and you can nav as usual again. All the alerting works as well, except for the LED setting. Oh well.

That said, I wiped everything clean and tried a fresh install of it all.

1) sync biz_conn.prc from an Archive
    2) open biz conn on the centro and register it like you had to with the 700 and let it do it's download of emails...blah blah
    3) Open Blazer and nav to the downloads on sprint and nab the Sprint Mobile Email app. and install it.
    4) reboot
    5) fire up BizCon and away you go

Yay! (for me, anyway...until we finally update our Exchange at the office)
    Yeah, as you probably know, the developers of Sprint Mobile Email and Sprint Business Connection are one in the same -- Seven. I've been a member of their Palm beta program for a few years, and although they're not taking new members, they obviously have a version that runs on the 755p (same as Centro).

In other words, Sprint Mobile Email is the consumer version of Sprint Business Connection, with the major difference being the lack of Exchange support on Sprint Mobile Email.

Looks like you found a way for Centro/755p owners to use a "working" version of Sprint Business Connection. I'm curious -- are you running into any bugs with this setup?
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    <snip>
    Looks like you found a way for Centro/755p owners to use a "working" version of Sprint Business Connection. I'm curious -- are you running into any bugs with this setup?
    None. Well...except for the inability to use the LED as a visual alert. 'Push' works perfectly with vibration/audio alert. It's working exactly as it did on my 700p, otherwise. Everything syncs: Email, Calendar, Contacts, et all.

I also posted this info on SEVEN's forum as soon as I figured this out.

Sidenote: Kind of crazy this is my second post in 24 hours after being on the visorcentral/treocentral forums for...7 years!

-LaPHtA
    Yeah.. I emailed the leader of their beta program a while back in regards to the 755p and the Centro. It looks like the have some stalled negotiations with Sprint in regards to releasing a new Bizconn version. It's cool that this works.

The beta version of Seven also works, if you can get into their beta program. Although, if you go through their beta sign-up site, the beta for the Palm OS stuff isn't in their current beta. It's part of an older beta program. Not sure if they are even letting people sign up for the older program.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    <snip>

The beta version of Seven also works, if you can get into their beta program. Although, if you go through their beta sign-up site, the beta for the Palm OS stuff isn't in their current beta. It's part of an older beta program. Not sure if they are even letting people sign up for the older program.
    They aren't. I jumped through those hoops trying to see if I could get a registration number and everything and not even my emails were answered. Their forums admin pretty spelled it out in saying it's up to Sprint if they ever want to release that 755 prc. Despite all the Sprint Mobile Email bashing, for us BizConn users it's exactly what we're used to having.

Pretty happy I figured this thing out as x4 of us here at the office jumped to the Centro after I got mine. Imagine all of us freaking out when we found BizConn didn't work. SO hard to not have push email.
    By the way, I posed this over on the 755p board, as some of those owners have wanted to get Biz Conn up & running there as well.

Cool beans.
    By the way, I posed this over on the 755p board, as some of those owners have wanted to get Biz Conn up & running there as well.

Cool beans.
    Actually.. another guy posted almost the same steps on the 755p board on 10/24, in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=154942
    As long as it works, great.
    Guys, thanks so much for your posts. I'm still running by Treo 650 because I'm so tied to the bizconn ap. I used it heavily for calendar, where it pushes between my assistant's desktop. If I schedule a meeting when I'm out, it instantly shows up on his desk... and vice versa.

That 650 is sluggish and I want to move up, so your advise is a major factor. Those guys at Sprint just aren't knowledgeable enough to give me guidance.

Cheers-
    Thanks so very much to Laphta for discovering this/writing about it, so that this nifty solution to keeping BizConn active could be preserved with up-migration to the Centro!!

And thanks so very much to Treocentral for keeping archives and having a good search engine.

I was dreading trying to worm the Exchange settings out of our IT staff--if it was even possible. Instead, now, I have my Outlook inbox in my pocket--just as with the 650 (except it didn't ever really fit in a pocket). Again, THANKS SO MUCH!!

(FWIW, Palm had told me to delete BizConn on my desktop before loading in the new CD and software. Boy, am I glad I didn't take that advice before checking here!)
    BTW... If you don't remove the old Bizconn program, you will have 2 copies of the program. One from Sprint Mobile email and one from Bizconn. Taking up 2x the memory. The thread that I linked to above gives a safe way of removing the old Bizconn.
    Is Sprint now providing this functionality out of the box, or is this workaround still required? Is there any place I can find the necessary files? I've been on VZW but thinking of switching to Sprint- access to Lotus Notes is an important consideration.

Thanks!
    Nope - Sprint's Business Connection is now dead. If you happened to be on Seven's old Palm beta program, that's the only way to get this functionality on a Sprint Treo/Centro.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgans View Post
    Is Sprint now providing this functionality out of the box, or is this workaround still required? Is there any place I can find the necessary files? I've been on VZW but thinking of switching to Sprint- access to Lotus Notes is an important consideration.

Thanks!
    Yep, a real PITA if you're a Lotus Notes shop like nearly half of all enterprises. I had a functioning BizConn configuration from my 700p, so I managed to keep this working. I would advise anyone w/ a Centro + BizConn to make an archive of the BizConn desktop program's folder and all program/DB files on the Palm with creator ID SEVN. The Centro won't let you "re-pair" with the desktop if either side is corrupted.

I wish GoodLink had a desktop redirector like BizConn or early BB.
    Nope - Sprint's Business Connection is now dead. If you happened to be on Seven's old Palm beta program, that's the only way to get this functionality on a Sprint Treo/Centro.
    That is untrue. Sprint Business Connection is made by Seven. Seven is working on some more stuff for Sprint. There is also a workaround that some people posted about use Sprint Mobile Email with after using the 700p version of Business connection to get the Centro working with Business Connection. I don't know if that works with Lotus Notes, though. I've only used it with Exchange Server.
    Just got a popup from SprintFreeMsg: "Reminder! Business Connection Personal ed. is retiring 9/1. Pls visit sprint.com/mobileemail or sprint.com/business for replacement options."

Wonder what this is gonna do to the BizCon workaround posted here which has been working like a charm. Any ideas? Any known workarounds?
    PalmPilot Professional > Palm III > Palm V > Sony Clie S300 > Palm m505 > Sony Clie N710C > Sony Clie N760C > Sony Clie T615C > Sony Clie NR70 > Sony Clie TG50 > Handspring Treo 600 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo 700p > Palm Centro
    Yes, I second the request please. I can't believe that Seven is the only producer of a "desktop redirector" that works with a palm device and that Sprint is the only entity willing to host the server necessary to allow my 755p to communicate with the Business Connection desktop client that is now working so well. Help, please!
    That workaround will fail on 9/1, since it would still be hitting the Sprint servers that will be pulled down then. You can try the workaround I suggest here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=169115

BlazerBoy seems to have not posted an update, so others are welcome to try.
    Update: If BlazerBoy is correct, he seems to have been able to download the Palm OS client after signing up at SEVEN's beta tester site, so it looks like folks have a viable solution. Go sign up to be SEVEN beta tester, and see how it goes:
    http://community.seven.com/forum/main.php

The 755p client runs fine on the Centro.