Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesG
  1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I have a damaged touchscreen. The phone works fine otherwise. I need to use the phone for a few days until I get a replacement.

Is there anyway to skip the "Setup" screen which requires tapping the stylus on different areas of the touchscreen?

I have a Treo 700p.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Hotsync. It will restore and then you won't have that screen.
    I don't think you can bypass the touchscreen setup and the 4 'next' button presses. Try pressing the hotsync button. I don't think it would work???
    If it does then you are in luck,

Otherwise the only way is to edit the ROM to remove the touch screen setup PRC, and flash it via bootloader , OR to inject those files from another setup into the RAM area. Those methods are very risky and no one have try it yet.

You can replace the touchscreen via parts on ebay or send to me for research.
    Its like the same as bricked/stuck in bootloader Treo due to water damage or bad MR flash...
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I also developed a problem with my touch screen. It stopped working. I did a hard reset (big mistake on my part) and now I am unable to initiate a set up. So my Treo is basically dead. I am on vacation and do not have a hotsync cable with me, I do have my laptop with me. Is there any other way to initiate hotsync or solve this problem?
    As I said in above message. If someone can send me their palm (that is 'bricked') I can try to rewrite the rom and try flash it on your palm and release the solution to everyone.

or you can find another broken palm and replace the digitalizer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    As I said in above message. If someone can send me their palm (that is 'bricked') I can try to rewrite the rom and try flash it on your palm and release the solution to everyone.

or you can find another broken palm and replace the digitalizer.
    I used a solution in this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=152390 and it worked
    Quote Originally Posted by tahkuct View Post
    I used a solution in this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=152390 and it worked
    So its a hardware problem. Your original message sounded like a software problem. I am interested in Palms that have software problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    So its a hardware problem. Your original message sounded like a software problem. I am interested in Palms that have software problems.
    Definately my was a hardware issue. It might be that others also experienced a similar hardware issue and not a software problem
    Quote Originally Posted by apwallace View Post
    Is there anyway to skip the "Setup" screen which requires tapping the stylus on different areas of the touchscreen?
    I believe I finally found the answer to this problem. There have been a lot of speculative answers in the various threads online...

I have a Treo 600 and the touchscreen no longer works. The handheld will still work without the touchscreen, you just need to navigate with the arrows and use the middle button to select options. But with a hard or soft reset, you get the stylus setup sequence. Major problem.

On a Treo support site there is a description of how to bypass this:

1) Press and HOLD the 5-way UP navigation control
    2) Press and release the reset button on the back of the Treo
    3) Continue to hold the 5-way UP navigation until the Treo displays the Preferences screen or the Phone application
    4) Release the 5-way UP navigation key

Ref: http://www.launcherx.com/support/#_Toc135807426

This solution pertained to solving a "Reset Loop", but it also serves to bypass the stylus setup screen.

Hopefully by posting a definitive answer to this post, it will save people some time and money. It's certainly an alternative to bricking the unit. The screen is simple to replace, but in my case I want to pick up a 650 or 700 eventually so it made little sense to spend money on this unit.
    iskitz likes this.
    Thanks for the post, JamesG. You prevented me from owning a 4-year old Treo 600 brick. I'm holding out for a new phone (android?!?!) and I can now keep my 600 for a few more months.

Much appreciated.

Mike
    This post just SAVED MY LIFE. Stuck at the airport for the past 12 hours and every store is closed now right as my treo got stuck in the stylus screen with a broken touchscreen. This forum is AMAZING!!! Thankyou--
    Thanks James. Your advice was simple & worked like a charm!