Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have been very satisfied with my Centro battery. At the end of the day, I usually still have about 40-50% with Chatter in the background. I get better mileage with my Centro than my previous Treo 680.
    oh, so the graph stops when the phone is screen off?

If there is a program running in the background while asleep will the graph continue to run?

if the graph stopd when asleep then my phone is fine. I'm gonna let it cycle through full charges a few times. I've had the phone for three weeks now
    Red Centro on SERO, ftw
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    my battery goes pretty quick as well. from about 9am to 1pm it'll drop to around 80% without me making a call or even activating the screen.

if my battery is bad, how would i go about getting a replacement from palm?
  4. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    wow. if that's the case then my battery MUST be bad.
    I get the impression you all use it more than I do. I thought I used it more than I actually seem to.

I sent 10 texts last night, and received one phone call that I let go to voicemail. I checked the voicemail and it was a friggin novel of a message. I put it on the charger at about 1030 last night when I powered the radio off. It was at 75%.
    when i put the phone to sleep the battery app shows that it shoots up to 200 mAh a bunch of times. *eidt, yeah that is a positive on that. how would i go diagnosing what app is running in the background??

when i put the battery app on pole every second when a sleep it jumps from 10 to 200 mAh every 10-15 seconds or so. is that the app poling or is that something else running? i think its something else running.
    Last edited by z50king; 12/06/2007 at 08:06 PM.
    Red Centro on SERO, ftw
    I'm not sure what's going on, but for the last two days in a row I've awakened to a dead Centro. I charged the battery to full before going to bed, and when I woke up the battery was completely drained. And the second time, the phone was off.

Any thoughts? TIA!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justrick View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on, but for the last two days in a row I've awakened to a dead Centro. I charged the battery to full before going to bed, and when I woke up the battery was completely drained. And the second time, the phone was off.

Any thoughts? TIA!
    Try fully charging the battery early evening and then imediately remove it from your Centro. Put it back in in the morning and see if it's still fully charged. If not, then it's definately a bad battery.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    I got my Centro on Tuesday. Battery life was good Tuesday and Wednesday. I charged it before I went to bed on Wednesday, but when I woke up Thursday the battery was down pretty low, probably down to 30 to 40%. And now today I just took it off the charger about an hour ago and it's at 95%. I don't think a battery should drain 5% in an hour. Should I take my phone back and get a new one?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob_m View Post
    I got my Centro on Tuesday. Battery life was good Tuesday and Wednesday. I charged it before I went to bed on Wednesday, but when I woke up Thursday the battery was down pretty low, probably down to 30 to 40%. And now today I just took it off the charger about an hour ago and it's at 95%. I don't think a battery should drain 5% in an hour. Should I take my phone back and get a new one?
    I mean, you left out the critical info: did you install anything?

I have to say, I've been quite surprised at how good the battery life is on the Centro. I run Chatter with sms-triggered Push, do some texting, 40 mins of calls, some web surfing, weather every 5 hours and music (45 mins) and I'm still about 55% at the end of the 14 hr day.

The sms-triggered email saves battery, plus I use PowerHero to auto-disconnect internet after 5 mins, have the screen adjust using Profiles.

On a "light" day, after 12 hours I'm still at 80-85%. A friend who had a regular flip before the Centro says he often goes 3 days without a charge.

So for those with concerned with issues: it is unusual and it is either hardware or software related.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I mean, you left out the critical info: did you install anything?

I have to say, I've been quite surprised at how good the battery life is on the Centro. I run Chatter with sms-triggered Push, do some texting, 40 mins of calls, some web surfing, weather every 5 hours and music (45 mins) and I'm still about 55% at the end of the 14 hr day.

The sms-triggered email saves battery, plus I use PowerHero to auto-disconnect internet after 5 mins, have the screen adjust using Profiles.

On a "light" day, after 12 hours I'm still at 80-85%. A friend who had a regular flip before the Centro says he often goes 3 days without a charge.

So for those with concerned with issues: it is unusual and it is either hardware or software related.
    I installed Minitones. And I don't think that would drain the battery. Nothing else is turned on. NO IM program or email. I'm beginning to think I have a bad battery.
    I installed Minitones. And I don't think that would drain the battery. Nothing else is turned on. NO IM program or email. I'm beginning to think I have a bad battery.
    Yeah, something is off there. Minitones wouldn't do it at all.

Maybe try a few full charges/discharges for a few days?

Sprint is aware that some customers using Sprint Mobile Email are experiencing above-average battery consumption while using the application on the Palm Centro. The cause of this issue is linked to the Sprint Mobile Email software client and email synchronization issues that only occur when a customer’s password is set incorrectly or the ISP email server is unavailable.

To resolve the issue, Sprint and SEVEN (our Sprint Mobile Email vendor) have developed a new software client. Beginning today (12/4) that update is being pushed to all Sprint Mobile Email customers using devices manufactured by Palm (including Treo 650p, 700p, 755p, and Centro). Upon logging into Sprint Mobile Email, customers will receive a pop-up message that a new version of the Sprint Mobile Email client is available for download over-the-air, directly from the handset. Customers may opt to either accept the new client or to decline and download at a later time. Please note that customers opting to download the client at a later date will continue to receive pop-up messages for an additional five days. After five days users will be informed that a new client is available and they will no longer be given a choice to download at a later date.

Customers should be assured that this is not a device issue and that the updated software for the email application will resolve this issue so that they can resume use of Sprint Mobile Email with a premium customer experience.

Customers who have deleted the Sprint Mobile Email client from their device will be able to download the updated client from the “Downloads” site accessible in the main menu of the Palm Centro.

All Sprint customers using Sprint Mobile Email on a device manufactured by Palm (Treo 650p, 700p, 755p, and Centro) are being asked to accept this download to ensure their device performs at optimum levels. Sprint regrets any inconvenience customers have faced with this situation and we would like to extend our thanks for their patience as we worked to deliver a resolution.
    (Source)

Well now my battery seems fine. I went to bed at 2am and I just checked it now at 10am and its only down to 97%.
    Well now my battery seems fine. I went to bed at 2am and I just checked it now at 10am and its only down to 97%.
    Yeah, it's weird, mine seems fine today as well. The only change I made was to disable "background playback" in Pocket Tunes, though I have no idea if that made the difference. There definitely wasn't any music playing during those times when the battery went dead.
    I took the update recently, and checking the "About..." I'm showing it's v 6.7.4.1041

I'm going to remove the application for a day or two to see if battery life improves... in a nutshell, I go from 100% to 60-ish% in about 8 hrs. Lite net usage, check emails on demand (no pushing option).
    How do we get this changed to a Sticky? My wife & went from 3 year old 650's with no bat probs to Centro's that will not last a day.

We only have stock Palm/Sprint S/W with no auto sync VM.

Can someone isolate battery to actually measure current vs. applications? Maybe some thin metal foil over insulator placed between Bat connections.

PS. Why three Bat terminals and which is which?

ALSO, be sure to read new treo.tc "News" article on Bat issue.
    FastFrank
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have been having issues over the past couple of days, and haven't made any changes. My battery has been draining by about 1/3 every 8 hours on the nose. On Monday I unplugged my phone from the charger, put it in my purse before I went to sleep. The next morning, it was down to 67 or 65%. By the time i left work it was about 35% left (during the work day I had a couple of reminders go off, and maybe one 2-4 minute phone call. That evening my battery was completely dead by 10PM after a 30 minute phone call and a couple of 1-2 minute calls.
    The battery application that someone posted earlier in this thread is very helpful in seeing the problem. Sometimes the Centro gets into a mode where it's continuously drawing around 100 mA steadily (only minor variations) when it's turned off instead of the usual 10 mA. Turning off the phone radio drops the turned-off current back to 10 mA but it returns to 100 mA after turning the radio back on. Only doing a soft reset of the Centro restores the normal quiescent turned-off current to 10 mA. I've pretty much convinced myself this is a problem with the radio and/or the software that controls it rather than any specific application (I'm not autosynching anything, never IM, etc.). Anyone that experiences normal battery usage some days and rapid discharge on other days is most likely seeing the same manifestation of the radio getting stuck in the high current drain mode.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I don't think its the Sprint email application causing the problem. I have never installed Sprint email on my phone and for past 2 days i have a very bad drainage problem. today i took it off the charger around 9am and by 8pm it was at 16%. this has been happening for past 2 days. before that it was working properly. again i never downloaded and installed Sprint email. so i think its something else causing it.

Alex
    I agree with the above. I never used the Sprint Email app and recently I started to get the drain issue. Only one day it was bad . It went from 100% to 40% in like 2 hours. The unit got hot like something was running. I used to get that issue with my 700P. Other than this issue I have no probs with my centro and since this isnt a regular issue I can live with it but wish I knew what the prob was.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast