Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I just wanted to say I just bought a new Centro (black) for $99.99 with a $50 rebate on Wednesday night and I am really looking forward to it! I just wanted to ask you guys/gals are there any real concerns/things I should be aware of? The biggest thing I worry about is scratching(screen and back), but I intend to buy a protector for it!

Thanks!

P.S.- Love the forums, really helpful!
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Welcome! Have you had a palm basted pda before?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Nope, this is my first smartphone.

Just got it today actually, and I am in love. It is a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. It is also so sleek and just awesome feeling. So far I love it!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just got a Centro too. I am a current Sprint customer, and I didn't want to get a new plan. I got a $150 phone upgrade discount, a $100 instant rebate for an out the door price of $149. And the mail in rebate was also available. I am stoked I'll be ablt to get this for $99 with no extensions!

So far I love my phone. The Sprint people transfered my numbers from my old phone, but I had to reverse first name last name on a few phone entries.

I was able to figure out how to text, and some of the settings. This is my first Palm ever, but I went through a few generations of WM before it was called windows mobile.

I use OS X 10.3, and the Plam Desktop is pretty crappy. Fortunately I really only use my home adress book, and not iCal so the transfer wasn't bad, snc eI could export my address book. I looked around to figure out the ringtones, and I was able to create and transfer a few!

Sound quality is good, and speaker is not bad in a quiet place, The regular speaker is way louder than expected!

Some questions/comments
    1. If you are in BT range and plugged in, can you use the fastest option, or does it default to one?
    2. Syncing Voice memos via BT is slow!
    3. What other calendar options are there?
    4. Are there any keyboard shortcuts that I should know about? I found find by accident.
    5. Is there a copy/past function in address book?
    6. Is the shortcut list in the phone app customizable?
    7. What are the search shortcuts?
    8. How do I get rid of the key tones??
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    >>>>>> answered a few

Some questions/comments
    1. If you are in BT range and plugged in, can you use the fastest option, or does it default to one?
    3. What other calendar options are there?
    4. Are there any keyboard shortcuts that I should know about? I found find by accident.
    5. Is there a copy/past function in address book?
    6. Is the shortcut list in the phone app customizable? --- figured it out
    7. What are the search shortcuts?
    8. How do I get rid of the key tones?? ---- figured it out
    I just have to say hearing of these new Palm converts because of the Centro is very encouraging. Having been a Palm user for 10 years I have worried about stagnation in the Palm community in the last few years.
    Welcome to the Palm world. I don't have all the answers to your question but I will try. Also use the My Centro program on your centro for quick reference.

Some questions/comments
    3. What other calendar options are there? -----Try Agendus
    4. Are there any keyboard shortcuts that I should know about? I found find by accident.----------plenty. Try holding down the home buttom for a few seconed to get access to your most recently used apps. explore the owner's manual and find more short cuts
    5. Is there a copy/past function in address book?--------yes, and you can also duplicate contacts
    6. Is the shortcut list in the phone app customizable? --- figured it out
    7. What are the search shortcuts?-----ues the find function
    8. How do I get rid of the key tones?? ---- figured it out
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I think Palm did a great job on this phone...especially for the target audience. A little background: I've have a few different Windows PDAs from about 1999-2003. I didn't choose Palm, but my family did. I wasn't sold on the UI and I liked the idea of web browsing/modems and pocket outlook then. Once I got my iPod, my purse was just too full og gadgets....so I had to drop something. I used my PDA most for address book, and this was mostly solved with the phone and the ipod..so I dropped the PDA. I have felt like I was missig a few important features, like a calendar, but I didn't want a 3rd device...so I went old school back to paper. Every 6 months or so I would check out the smartphones....but each was too wide to hold as a phone (sidekicks, treos etc). They were more like PDAs with phone features. So when I heard about the iphone I was pretty excited. But once I felt it, it was too wide...i'll stick with a standalone iPod. When I saw the centro news this looked like a great replacement for my standard phone (and I have become a more avid texter). This phone is pretty slim and pretty small. Sure the curve, Q and pearls are slimmer, but they don't have touch screens...and the feel funny when you hold it up to your ear. The Centro is the perfect match. And the 10 years of Palm OS means that its easy to find the sort of add ons I like!

Anyway its a cool phone, and thanks for the welcome. Although I can see how POS is looking a little less flashy with the new things out there. Cool looking buttons are no benefit if your phone is complicated, unreliable or non-intuitive. I have managed to figure out many features with just a passing glance at Palm OS devices over the years. I think the first time users should figure things out easily as well.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I agree, I'm a college kid and this device is just so sleek and sweet. I'm in love.
    Quote Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
    Here, I posted this on the Treo General Chat board a few weeks ago and they will probably all work on your Centro:

I just found this link in my bookmarks and realized that most (if not all) of these 650 shortcuts and tips work on my 755. Reading this thread will put you years ahead of finding these things out on your own. One evening just sit down with a pen to write down the ones you'll want to use and read the posts, I promise, if you're new here, you will love the thread, and your phone a lot more.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66709

-
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas