Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I just spent a weekday across the border in Montreal with a friend and his new Centro. I convinced him to switch carriers and buy the Centro when it first debuted at Sprint.

The phone really does carry well and on the metro we both sensed it had cool factor (and kept it's connection). People actually were checking it out. It was surprising how the new dimensions seem to have quickly put my Treo 755p into 'guy with business phone' category in company with Blackberry. In fact my friend is 'guy with business phone'... the Centro does the infra-red unlocking of real estate lock boxes his pda once performed. He just looks hipper now using the Centro to surf for real time radar images before going out on rainy streets.

And yes, the Centro does everything my phone does. But the screen is tighter- you don't notice the smaller size as much as you do the tighter pixels. And after using the one piece keyboard for a while, it has a nice feel and the raised keys do what you want- I like it.

I'm most impressed with the form factor, but another small improvement over my 755 is there is no lag exiting Blazer- they've tweaked the memory somehow. So now I am waiting for a 755p update to bring it up to speed with the otherwise internally identical Centro .

After spending time with it in public, I believe the phone sells itself- it's really a nice fit between attractiveness and utility. The ads for it have been discussed elsewhere, but they aren't what it needs. Everything points to the Centro raising Palms sales numbers substantially anyway.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    I just spent a weekday across the border in Montreal with a friend and his new Centro. I convinced him to switch carriers and buy the Centro when it first debuted at Sprint.

The phone really does carry well and on the metro we both sensed it had cool factor (and kept it's connection). People actually were checking it out. It was surprising how the new dimensions seem to have quickly put my Treo 755p into 'guy with business phone' category in company with Blackberry. In fact my friend is 'guy with business phone'... the Centro does the infra-red unlocking of real estate lock boxes his pda once performed. He just looks hipper now using the Centro to surf for real time radar images before going out on rainy streets.

And yes, the Centro does everything my phone does. But the screen is tighter- you don't notice the smaller size as much as you do the tighter pixels. And after using the one piece keyboard for a while, it has a nice feel and the raised keys do what you want- I like it.

I'm most impressed with the form factor, but another small improvement over my 755 is there is no lag exiting Blazer- they've tweaked the memory somehow. So now I am waiting for a 755p update to bring it up to speed with the otherwise internally identical Centro .

After spending time with it in public, I believe the phone sells itself- it's really a nice fit between attractiveness and utility. The ads for it have been discussed elsewhere, but they aren't what it needs. Everything points to the Centro raising Palms sales numbers substantially anyway.
    So your friend used the Centro in Montreal, Canada? Sprint has both a phone and data connection in Canada?
    Yep, they have for years...when I visit family in Nova Scotia my phone (non Palm til tomorrow) works fine. Data may also, I don't know as I never tried it when there.
    Thanks, Sue!