Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi..

i have had a brand new 755p (an Asurion / Sprint replacement for one of my 700ps which went nuts after i applied Palm's V1.10 "MR" to it, but that's another story).. and so far i've tried two different 2gb miniSD cards in this new phone.. a Dane and a Kingston.. the Dane card is glacially slow.. at least 10x slower than a standard SD card, say, a SanDisk, in my other phone, a year-old 700p which i did NOT put the V1.10 "MR" on and never will..

so another writer sent me a Kingston 2gb miniSD card and i'd say it's about twice as fast as the Dane 2gb miniSD card, but still much slower than ANY regular SD card of any capacity that i've EVER used in any of the Treo 650s or 700ps i've owned (two of each)..

so the question for the group mind, who has more experience with miniSD cards than i do (which is one whole week).. is:

- are miniSD cards by their nature, much slower than standard SD cards?..

- is this endemic to the 755p?.. is it the 755p's card bus that's slow?..

- are there any brands of miniSD cards that are known to be screamingly fast?.. as i mentioned, the Dane is glacially slow.. the Kingston is noticeably faster but still much slower than any SD or even MMC card of ANY capacity i've EVER used in my former 650s, or my current 700p or former 700p..

my benchmark for speed is BackupBuddyVFS which i use religiously every day.. on my 700p with a 2gb SanDisk SD card in it, it just screams along.. in the 755p which has basically the SAME software on it, it crawls.. pauses.. sometimes appears to stop, and sits there and thinks a while, and then carries on..

i don't think it's BBVFS Pro itself that's the problem, although the BlueNomad folks told me they have never used any miniSD cards so they couldn't help me..

so what's going on here?.. is it the nature of miniSD cars to be slower than standard SD cards?.. are these Dane and Kingston cards just under-specced and another brand would be faster?.. is the 755p defective?.. are they ALL like this?..

and the $64 question - have any of you migrated from a 700p to a 755p.. moved all your software over to it, and found that the miniSD card in a 755p is MUCH slower than a standard SD card in a 700p?..

by the way.. so far, besides having to acquire new cases and such because of its different form factor (i think Palm made a LOT of stupid design decisions with the 755p.. but that's a story for another time).. this one has NOT suffered the constant, random inability to connect to Sprint's PowerVision, as happened with the MRd 700p it replaced.. it connects every time.. as does my year old 700p which is still running V1.08 and is going to keep running V.08..

Thanks
    Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 11/15/2007 at 12:02 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Try formating your card as follow:

For cards less than 4GB (FAT16):
    format x: /FS:FAT /A:32k

For 4 GB card and more (FAT32) and for SDHC cards:
    format x: /FS:FAT32 /A:16k

Where "x" is the drive letter

Good luck, let me know if that works for you.
    Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi..

and the $64 question - have any of you migrated from a 700p to a 755p.. moved all your software over to it, and found that the miniSD card in a 755p is MUCH slower than a standard SD card in a 700p?..

Thanks
    Harv
    I have the Kingston 4GB SDHC. My benchmark is NVBackup where it took >10 min on 700P, it now takes <5 min on 755P. Same info and apps on both devices. So the newer miniSD should be faster.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    are miniSD cards by their nature, much slower than standard SD cards?
    No. The circuitry is exactly the same. However, different card manufacturers use different speeds of flash memory.

I bought a Transcend 4GB card. It seems fast enough in my 755p, but this is my first Treo so I don't have anything to compare it to.