1.    #1  
    I'm at a fork in the road. As a long time Treo 650, 600, Samsung i330, i300, Palm V, Palm Pro user, I am very much used to the Palm OS. I'm also frustrated by the lack of innovation, yet I can't really say that it doesn't do most of what I need. Still, I've been tempted by WM6. I think the Touch is cool, but don't think I could pass on the keyboard. Even the Mogul's slider keyboard may not be convenient enough for me.

So I'm looking at the Centro or the upcoming WM6 Treo (800w?). The Centro seems to be the pinnacle of PalmOS. Small, capable, looks cool, etc. It seems that this is probably as good as it's going to get. In other words, the Centro seems to be a great device to tide me over until Palm comes out with whatever the new Palm OS is. My hunch is we won't see another major Palm OS device come out. Do you think that's right?

Then again, is Palm OS still better then WM6? I've played with the Mogul and could get used to some things, but it just doesn't seem as comfortable. But I've got 10 years of Palm experience, so I don't know if I'm biased. Still, if the 800w has GPS, WiFi, and some of the more advanced features like multitasking that we'll never see on Garnet, it's tempting. Those features plus the Treo keyboard might make it one of the best WM6 devices out there. Does anyone think the 800w will be the one to win Palm OS diehards over? Or do you think we'll still be singing the praises of the Centro and PalmOS once the 800w is out?

Just trying to gauge if I should pull the trigger on the Centro now to replace my aging 650. Will WM6 + Treo 800w equal or better the impressive Centro?
    How much legacy PalmOS software do you use that you would have to replace if you went WM6?

If not significant -- then I would try both devices in store side by side when the opportunity comes up.

I have wanted GPS in my Palm device for years now, but that desire is still trumped by 10 years of collected software and habits.

Maybe my Palm/LinuxOS 900p will have GPS, but I cannot believe it is 18 months out. . . . .
    do you even care if it's Palm that releases the next phone with legacy POS support? I know I don't. With garnet being the pinnacle of the POS, there is nothing more they can offer its users. I'd actually prefer to go to another company that offers an OS with POS legacy support. I'm tired of Palm.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
    So I'm looking at the Centro or the upcoming WM6 Treo (800w?). The Centro seems to be the pinnacle of PalmOS. Small, capable, looks cool, etc. It seems that this is probably as good as it's going to get. In other words, the Centro seems to be a great device to tide me over until Palm comes out with whatever the new Palm OS is. My hunch is we won't see another major Palm OS device come out. Do you think that's right?

Then again, is Palm OS still better then WM6? I've played with the Mogul and could get used to some things, but it just doesn't seem as comfortable. But I've got 10 years of Palm experience, so I don't know if I'm biased. Still, if the 800w has GPS, WiFi, and some of the more advanced features like multitasking that we'll never see on Garnet, it's tempting.
    I hear what you are saying.

It's certainly a tough decision and if you can, I would hold out till the 800w comes out (should be Q1 i.e. early next year) to make a fully informed decision. According to some people in the Future Treo section, at this moment the 800w does not have Wifi and GPS has not been decided (and looking at the insider's wording, it is Sprint calling the shots on specs, not Palm).

I personally would not hold your breath on GPS. It is well known that all modern CDMA devices have aGPS (GPSOne) on them, even accessible for pay services (TeleNav) and LBS (Live Search) but that this feature is not offered on any WM device, despite having GPSOne in them. That has been the case now for 2 years and I don't expect it to change, although rumors are floating around as usual that Sprint will "enable" aGPS on the Mogul in January ( ). Likewise I wouldn't hold my breath for a "standalone" GPS solution either. But, if you really want it, only way to be sure is to wait for the 800w to come down the pike and actually see what it has.

Likewise for Wifi. Sprint seems hooked on the "one WM device with Wifi" model, so I'd be surprised (but delighted!) to see that change.

The 800w will probably be a solid and impressive WM device. I happen to love the 700wx and look forward to a next-gen model. For Palm OS users, the WM Treos are the best "transition device" since there is a lot Palm flavor added to WM, making it a more similar experience.

Likewise, I think your assessment of the Centro being the pinnacle of Palm OS is quite accurate. Even as a WM users I appreciate it and think it bodes well for the 800w.

In short, I think you'll be happy with either device but you will pay much more for the WM version (I expect it to be near $600) and then you'd have to factor in buying WM apps (assuming you use many). The ideal situation would be to wait, if you can, to evaluate both--but that means...waiting.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/15/2007 at 12:16 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    I wouldn't say it has to be Palm, but overall I'm still a fan of Palm despite all of their shortcomings and missteps. When you think about it, the fact that they're able to market new devices based on this old, stale OS is a testament to their abilities. They seem better able to design things the way I think they should work. Case in point...none of the other WM6 devices out there seem to quite have it right. The Treo form factor really is a great one, so I'm thinking that if any device right now will win me over to WM6, it's going to be the one that comes from Palm. But all that said, I find myself just so impressed and pleased by the Centro. It has a great small form factor and they managed to create a workable keyboard that small.

I've played with the Mogul and the Centro, and lean towards the Centro because I'm not sure I like some of how WM6 does things. Of course, I don't know how 3rd party WM apps would do at fixing some of that, but overall the PalmOS still remains the simple, intuitive, functional OS it always has been. It's just frustrating that the PalmOS has grown so stale and that it doesn't have things that WM has (at a system level ... things like multitasking, a better bluetooth stack that allows voice dial over bluetooth, etc, etc). Even though WM has PalmOS beat on those things though, I'm still not sure it's caught up in terms of usability.

The wildcard is what enhancements Palm will make to WM6 for their device. Thus, I find myself torn between getting a Centro now or waiting an indeterminate time (Jan or Feb, I'm hearing so far) for a WM6 Treo that might best the Centro.
    Skip the Mogul.

Lots of user complaints, and imo, HTC/Sprint dropped the ball on that device: not enough program memory (RAM), poor BT and lots of reported memory leaks with the OS.

They recently released a firmware update and then pulled it because it caused even more issues. The long heralded "Rev A" update is delayed and I think as a veteran Treo user, you'll find the form-factor and the aforementioned issues quite irritating.

I think you should jump on the Centro as it sounds like you enjoy the idea of the design (and it is a solid device, it's quite hard to put down). Remember, you have 30 days to try it (and there will always be something better coming out).

Or, the tougher one, wait a few months for the 800w to come out and then decide. But that requires patience, lol.

7.    #7  
    Hard to be patient as my Treo 650's battery isn't holding a charge as well and drops calls due to the antenna being loose from years of abuse. : ) Plus I just get this warm fuzzy feeling when I play with the Centro in the store.

To you Centro owners...does that go away, or does it still seem that cool weeks after you've had it?
    Release date: Unknown
    At theaters near you!
    at&t iPhone3G
    i'm still warm and fuzzy from my centro. but, this is my first smartphone so i'm probably still warm and fuzzy cuz of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    i'm still warm and fuzzy from my centro. but, this is my first smartphone so i'm probably still warm and fuzzy cuz of that.
    I haven't been too fond of the cosmetic look of the Centro and been so busy and sick lately that I haven't even stepped out to look at one. I looked at one today on the way to the Sprint repair center getting my wife a new battery for her A900 and damn was I ever wrong. The Centro is a very nice device and looked quite good. I would consider it myself, especially if it performs like the 700 and 755 should have. Anybody who's crossed my negative feed on any posts relating to the Centro...forget what I said. After playing with it for a while the Cento is
    at&t iPhone3G
    Just keep in mind the "800w" will be about $200 more than the Centro when and if its released.

Also IMO, PalmOS still has better 1st/3rd party consumer app, while wm6 has slightly better business app.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I haven't been too fond of the cosmetic look of the Centro and been so busy and sick lately that I haven't even stepped out to look at one. I looked at one today on the way to the Sprint repair center getting my wife a new battery for her A900 and damn was I ever wrong. The Centro is a very nice device and looked quite good. I would consider it myself, especially if it performs like the 700 and 755 should have. Anybody who's crossed my negative feed on any posts relating to the Centro...forget what I said. After playing with it for a while the Cento is
    lol, that is quite a turnaround (and props for the honesty)

But I agree--this is one of those devices that is better in person than on paper. Everyone that has seen mine gets the same "Wow" look on their face and I haven't met anyone who hadn't liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, that is quite a turnaround (and props for the honesty)

But I agree--this is one of those devices that is better in person than on paper. Everyone that has seen mine gets the same "Wow" look on their face and I haven't met anyone who hadn't liked it.
    Even though I really like it...I am going to wait for the unknown prize with the evolution of POS next fall. My 700p does me well and does what I need for business and personal so getting another device would be me being a gadget hound. I would love to buy the latest and or greatest everytime it came aboout but if my inherit device is not obsolete I try to get all my money's worth out plus a nagging wife that can't see buying one to two smartphones a year. If Palm does come out with the Palm/Linux device next year it will be good timing because I will be well in past for an upgrade and can take advantage of all discounts...and no, my wife doesn't rule me, I was going to get the 755p but I actually agreed with her about waisting money on cell phones like a kid...I would much rather spend it on my project car in the garage if the 700p still does the job. But I still love my Treo
    at&t iPhone3G
    Anyone else notice the Centro only got not . I was thinking that too but I don't know how Palm rates with release delays and then you're a lab rat buying the first model of its kind from Palm. If I went that route and waited I'd get the 950 or whatever and let you guys test out the first model. The sooner you get the Centro the sooner you'll get the phone upgrade discount in 22 months.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    If you are thinking of the future, think about the Nokia n810 with WIMAX, and carrier independent phone software.

Originally, WIMAX was rumored for the n810, but it is shipping without it. Even then, VOIP when in range of a WIFI is very attractive, and the device is VERY flexible, and can run most GARNET apps.
    I agree and at that rate Palm will have their G-Phone or whatever. Call me when that's shipping.