1.    #1  
    I am connected to an XP SP2 laptop over Remote Desktop from another XP machine. Setting up Palm Desktop went well and basic hotsyncing is fine (although for some reason I can't get contacts to sync). However two Palm apps do not seem to work in this mode - Card Reader and USB Modem. The USB cable is connected firmly, I test with a hotsync first, but when I try to invoke one or the other of those two applications, nothing happens on the Windows side.

Is there a known issue related to this?

Edit: Verified that exiting RD and trying the same steps normally seems to work OK.
    Last edited by forteanajones; 11/14/2007 at 09:25 PM.
    Is your connection to the net via the USB Modem (and you are using your internet connection to remote desktop connect to the other XP machine)?

If yes, then your USB port is busy and hotsync cannot allocate the USB port.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 11/15/2007 at 12:26 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Is your connection to the net via the USB Modem (and you are using your internet connection to remote desktop connect to the other XP machine)?
    Machine #2 (the one onto which I was attempting to install USB Modem) was on a wireless LAN connection. Machine #1 (the one I was remoting into #2 with) was connected to the same LAN over an ethernet cable. The only firewall that existed between the two were two respective AVG software firewalls that were both inactive.

Anyway I fixed it by removing RD from the equation, and I'm pretty sure it was one of two things:

1. You cannot install USB Modem drivers etc. in XP via Remote Desktop.
    2. My Treo cable is slightly broken and careful attention must be paid to whether it is connected fully or not.

I'm leaning toward the former because when I exited RD and logged in directly at the console, not touching the Treo or cable in any way, the setup steps actually worked. Of course, #1 could easily be disproved by someone in a better position to know about these things.

Thanks for the input, by the way.