1.    #1  
    Hi All

After unbareable lag that has rendered my 755p almost useless I want to do a hard reset start over fresh, but I want to recover the address book and keep my current device name.

What do I have to delete from my PC to start over also, how do I keep the desktop software and address book contacts?

I have a bunch of 3rd party applications combined with low battery life.

I've already hardset a number of times before but as soon as I hotsync since I want the same device name, the apps are restored eventhough I don't have any backup software.

Actually, due some apps that I want I've been thinking of moving to the 700wx any advice?

kindest regards
    when you hotsync you end up backing most of your stuff up automatically I believe its the last step of the hotsync process.

imo using a 3rd party backup program is your best bet. Using resco backup or backup manager I can make a full backup and say in your case you want to do a hard reset you can and then just selectively restore the files that you want, again in your case your contacts. You can choose what to restore and what not to. I never hotsync anymore and have automatic backups that goto my sd card once a night and then at the end of the week I just take the most recent backup and copy it over to my laptop in case I happen to loose the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by afahd View Post
    Hi All

After unbareable lag that has rendered my 755p almost useless I want to do a hard reset start over fresh, but I want to recover the address book and keep my current device name.

What do I have to delete from my PC to start over also, how do I keep the desktop software and address book contacts?

I have a bunch of 3rd party applications combined with low battery life.

I've already hardset a number of times before but as soon as I hotsync since I want the same device name, the apps are restored eventhough I don't have any backup software.

Actually, due some apps that I want I've been thinking of moving to the 700wx any advice?

kindest regards

There are 2 ways I know of..

1)
    Hotsync your phone so all your current data is backed up. When done, open up Palm Desktop. On the top right of the Desktop window you will see your Hotsync ID and a dropdown arrow. Click the drop down an rename your current ID to something else. Now create a new one and type the original ID you had before. Now go back to the other ID and go to contacts. Select all the contacts and copy it to the new one you created.

Hard reset your phone and when you resync it, it will give you two ID's to chose from. Choose the new one you created (with the copied contacts) and hotsync. You should now have your hotsync ID on your phone along with the your contacts.

2)
    Download a trial of Backupman or RescoExplorer and sync either to your phone. Do a backup. Then hard reset your device. Open up Palm Desktop and rename your current hotsync ID. Close the desktop and resync your phone. Re-create your ID with hotsync. This will install your hotsync ID back to your phone. Then with Backupman or Resco perform a restore and do a selective restore. Only restore files with the name starting with "contacts". There should be a total of 4 but I dont remember the exact names. Thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Download a trial of Backupman or RescoExplorer and sync either to your phone. Do a backup. Then hard reset your device. Open up Palm Desktop and rename your current hotsync ID. Close the desktop and resync your phone. Re-create your ID with hotsync. This will install your hotsync ID back to your phone. Then with Backupman or Resco perform a restore and do a selective restore. Only restore files with the name starting with "contacts". There should be a total of 4 but I dont remember the exact names. Thats it.

Is there an echo in the house? If you use either of those two programs to backup your info you won't ever have to hotsync your information again unless of course you use the desktop software for more than just backing up your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Is there an echo in the house? If you use either of those two programs to backup your info you won't ever have to hotsync your information again unless of course you use the desktop software for more than just backing up your phone.
    Man I use to be a PalmOS Veteran. Switching to WM made me forget some things I guess. Thanks for the catch on that one.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks
    On Palm Desktop, you can export Addressbook into a vcard. Uninstall Palm desktop and make sure you remove ALL files. Use "search" to find "backup" files, and delete them. Reinstall Palm Desktop and import the vcard. You might lose the categories. I did and had to recreate my categories and one by one assign them back :-(

You can also try just removing the "backup" files and then hotsync after the hard reset.
    all the best features including selective restore and it free.