Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I just learned something interesting (that sucks)...

If you have to peel up the screen protector you are applying to smooth it off, be careful--the "permanent screen protector" will come with it. The very bottom left corner of my screen is now slightly lifted in the tiniest spot and you can't see it unless the screen is off. But it's got me so pissed right now that I gave up.
    What brand of screen protector did you use? Did it have an adhesive on the screen side?
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    had no adhesive. But you would think that maybe static could be easily removed but it wasn't. I tried a piece of tape as that has worked with other static films like this but it didn't work. Had to pry it off.

It was the ebay find someone had mentioned in the accessories thread.

Even then--why on earth would my screen be lifting at a corner if this is supposed to go all the way under every corner???
    It sounds like there was already an issue with your Centro and the screen protector brought it to your attention. I'd exchange the phone right away after you back everything up.
  5. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Im going to go at lunch because there are spots on other corners that I have never gone near with even the stylus that are lifting--there's DUST in there.
    Screen protector? What screen protector?
  7. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Heh. Yea Im going in about an hour. There's no reason why this screen should be jacked.
  8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Just got back:
    Here's the scoop.

The tech was about to swap it out because he thinks it's caused by heat and then the heat causes condensation. So as a last ditch he grabbed some canned air. Went at it for 30 seconds or so...all better.
    It sounds like they "fixed" it? I don't think that should happen and I'd swap it asap. I don't see why it wouldn't happen again or cause more damage?
    Well, ultimately, we know Palm has put their own screen protector on the Centros - which is probably a good idea for the masses that have no idea you could GET a 3rd party screen protector, but bad for those of us who know about them, and would like to be able to change them later ourselves (the built-in screen protectors have to be replaced by either Sprint or Palm, not sure which).

They also say in the user guide there is no need to use another screen protector - and now we may know why they are saying it...it makes sense: their built-in screen protector is probably adhesive, so lifting off another adhesive on top of it might pull it up, too...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Interesting... I was wondering what exactly was meant by "Permanent Screen Protector" as the docs referred.
    I have three new Centro's arriving today . . . and bought the screen protectors from TreoCentral store. I planned on using them over the screen like normal.

How many of you are putting on an after market protector? If they can cause the screen to screw up . . . I might hesitate on applying a second protector. I kind of just ignored the idea of a "factory applied permanent protector". I figured I should protect the screen.

What is everyone doing?
    :ee
    I've seen no strong need to add yet another screen protector.

I guess it depends on how rough you are with the device, but I just find it unnecessary on the Centro. It's a 2.2" screen with a layer of protection and plastic stylus, so I'm not too concerned with day to day usage.

I also carry it in my pocket, though I don't keep my keys in the same one. I've used protectors on other smartphones, but even then they were rarely justified as I don't subject my phone to much abuse.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have the kind from eBay which says is washable, smooth and doesn't leave adhesive. I rushed to put it on and tried to remove it and center it again. It does have a strong bond but it lifted right off from the corner and the Centro screen was clean. I'm impressed with it. I think its thicker than the Palm ones but it doesn't matter since its still flush and smooth. I'd recommend it and don't see a problem with it. I don't think its a big deal in an innie holster but would get one just in case with other cases.
    personally, if we scratch their screen protector, I think they should have to replace it for free or for the extremely minimal cost of a new protector since it's something we can't replace ourselves and the manual even states we don't need to put one on.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to have a user installable one put on at the factory instead of on the underside of the case?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    personally, if we scratch their screen protector, I think they should have to replace it for free or for the extremely minimal cost of a new protector since it's something we can't replace ourselves and the manual even states we don't need to put one on.
    I don't see free happening...but I'm really curious what the charge will be...and how many times someone will go into a sprint location and get funny looks when talking about needing a new "built in screen protector"

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to have a user installable one put on at the factory instead of on the underside of the case?
    It's one of those things about pleasing the masses...the masses don't realize there's a need for a screen protector...until they decide it's necessary on their own. So they would complain incessantly about the "little edge" that's visible around the protector. And in some ways I agree, my other PDAs that had protectors, while nice, collected dust in that space between the overlay and the screen edge. If I'd not put it on there myself, and had a specific understanding of why it was worth it...I sure wouldn't have liked it.

I can't decide which side of Palm's decision I fall on at this point. I haven't bought a screen protector for my Centro yet, but I'd planned on doing so eventually. Now I'm a little worried to actually. It's probably a rare thing for it to be an issue, but we'll see over time.
    My theory is that its for Palm's benefit, to make it easier to turn around refurbished Centro's. Now any returned Centro's will be guaranteed to have perfect screens under there "built-in screen protector".

Surur
    Good point. but I think it goes beyond refurbs. If there are less true screen scratches in general, it makes lots of things easier for them...easier repairs, less refurbs needed (if you send your Centro in to fix a scratched screen, they might otherwise send you back a replacement refurb unit in the interest of quick turnaround, now they can easily just replace the screen protector and send the same unit back)
    then the question is, will they try and charge you if you scratch your screen? Now you have all that downtime of waiting for a refurb. Unless they ship it first, and you send yours back when the refurb arrives. Then imagine the people that dropped $20 or whatever on BSE's or those vinyl skins. They have to buy them again just because their screen protector got scratched?

And if the one that they put on is adhesive based. If they were going to put the one on, then why not use a static based one to facilitate change outs at a Sprint store. Would probably take them 15 or so minutes to do.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Bottom line is its great they included their screen protector and its probably a good idea to install your own, maybe without an adhesive residue like the one I have otherwise your Centro screen protector could get scratched. I got four in my set, they're great and cost less than others. The catch seems to be with alignment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast