1.    #1  
    Last week I spilled some denatured alcohol onto my Treo 650.

At first, I experienced the dreaded "white screen of death" which luckily went away after one day off, when I was ready to try a zero-out reset on my Treo.

However I still have one problem with the phone: the microphone sensitivity is extremely low. I can barely hear my voice, and only if I speak directly on the microphone. Apart from this, sound is ok. The earpiece works and I can use it for calls, but this is very unpractical.
    I could use a Bluetooth headset, but I hate those devices. I would rather replace the mic, if I could find one.

I have also opened the Treo (very easy, indeed!) to check for traces of additives on the contacts, but everything seems fine.

Any suggestion?
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dnairb06 View Post
    Last week I spilled some denatured alcohol onto my Treo 650.
    ... I still have one problem with the phone: the microphone sensitivity is extremely low. ... Any suggestion?
    A follow-up to my previous message. The problem is only due to the microphone. Luckily, nothing else is damaged on the Treo.

I have transplanted the microphone of the old 600 I still had around on the Treo 650.
    Actually, it is not an easy task: the 600 microphone with its plastic cover is much bigger than the 650's, and without the cover is smaller but still taller than the hole on the 650 keyboard where it must be fitted. However, with some care and some trial and error, at the end everything works fine again.

Of course, this is only a temporary measure. I have already bought a new mic off eBay which should fly as soon as possible to my home.

It is the revenge of high-tech: no damage at all to tiny and sensitive semiconductor circuits but a complete destruction of a low-tech device like a carbon (?) microphone.