1.    #1  
    OK. The other day I noticed my battery level went from 99% charged to
    89% in 30 minutes...and the phone was off and I did not use the Centro at all during that period.

Yesterday, still having the problem I did a hard reset and only put back on my calendar, contacts, memos and tasks databases. Amazingly, with no 3rd party apps I went from 99% at 5am in the morning to 82% at 11pm that same day with moderate use during the day.

So, it seems there must be a number of 3rd party apps that really drain the battery. Do we have a list here of just what apps drain the Centro battery?

I could list all of my 3rd party apps but figured some of you already have an impression as to what apps seem to do this on the Centro.
    2Day absolutely DESTROYED by battery life. My assumption is all the polling it does to keep it's icons updated takes it's toll on the battery. I disabled all that polling and it seemed quite a bit better, but I ended up just removing it completely. My battery life is much much much better without it.
    I found that 4caste and On Demand to drain a good bit. When I change their options to disconnect after refresh, that helped a huge amount. Of course, be sure your bluetooth and infrared port are off if you do not need them.
    dave,

this has happened to me as well. my phone (radio) would be off and my battery would drain. I thought I had a defective battery. then the next few days the battery was great. today my battery is draining again really fast. I might have to take it into a sprint store and possibly get another battery. they'll have to test it for me because this is ridiculous.
    diane
    On Demand seems to drain my battery as well. I had the same problem with the 755p to some extent, but the battery charge seemed to last a lot longer. I have also had success with turning off bluetooth when not using them. Hopefully there will be an extended life battery available soon for the Centro.
    Legalbeagle
    Make sure that Beam Receive is turned off...I know this was KILLING my battery
    beam is off. ondemand ...i never even clicked on that app
    diane
    Anything that does over the air polling will drain your battery. These apps include email, OnDemand, Agendus, the IM software either included or installed your own.

Also any app that automatically checks for version updates, get a bunch of those on your phone automatically updating and it doesn't take long to wear at the battery.

That being said though, i have email polling every 15 minutes, no IM, On Demand updating every 4 hours and Agendus updating once a day and i usually end my day at about 50% charge when i plug it in for the night.
    I have the same issue with battery performance. One thing I noticed was when I first got the phone it rebooted in the middle of me doing something on it. After the reboot is when I noticed the crappy battery life. One day last week I had another out of the blue reboot and the phone's battery seemed to work great. I would use it all day, send text messages, play games and mess with other apps and at the end of the day would have more than 50% battery. Now another reboot happened and I am back to about 10 hours of battery life

I am going to try removing third party apps and see if this helps. So far I have:
    Bejeweled 2
    super bounce out
    Zuma

these last two were just added after the above story.
    Virtual pool
    websters dictionary

I am also going to try putting them on my expansion card so I can remove them to save battery and see if this does anything to help.
    I agee with all of the comments on what normally drains battery life. Crashes should not effect battery life by themselves. But what does happen during a crash is a refreshing of the operating system utilities and settings. Case in point, there was a bug early in the life of the 680 where using the camera was causing a battery drain. Behind the scenes the camera was not being shut off after leaving the camera program thus causing an abnormal battery drain in some Treo's and apparently not in others. A reset caused the Treo to reset the camera power setting and battery drain would be normal until the camera was used again. This was quickly fixed by Palm but it took quite a while to isolate the problem.

So there are many conditions that can cause battery drain. 3rd party applications can be to blame too. It is very possible for applications to open a resource, like the camera, and not properly close the resource when finished. So to determine if there is actually a problem, you need to take into account almost everything you do with the device and note any changes you make during your touble shooting.

Hope this helps.....

Jeff
    This probably sounds silly, but how do you ensure the program is "closed" to prevent this? I just end programs by pressing the home button, does this effectively end the app, such as email, camera, etc.?
    I shut my radio off overnight recently and found that the MyCentro app generated an error while asking for permission to turn the radio on. I checked and found that the option for Auto Update was turned on. I doubt it's a huge drain on the battery, but since I don't know how often it checks, and I can't see much value in keeping the user guide updated, I turned it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    This probably sounds silly, but how do you ensure the program is "closed" to prevent this? I just end programs by pressing the home button, does this effectively end the app, such as email, camera, etc.?
    There is nothing 'you' can do other than close the application by launching another application or pressing he HOME key as you mentioned.

What I was referring to is all at the application code level. And to find issues like applications that cause battery drain, you need to closely monitor and log you activities. Only then can you begin to find appliciton related problems.

Jeff
    Does anyone have instrumentation to measure the battery drain? It would be nice to know what draws what current?

I have had times when my phone was very warm and I had not used it for over an hour and the battery meter dropped significantly.

Any ideas?
    FastFrank
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I shut my radio off overnight recently and found that the MyCentro app generated an error while asking for permission to turn the radio on. I checked and found that the option for Auto Update was turned on. I doubt it's a huge drain on the battery, but since I don't know how often it checks, and I can't see much value in keeping the user guide updated, I turned it off.
    Yeah, just what would be "updated" by the MyCentro app? Just the list of software available and the userguide? or more?
    Battery life is an issue. I bought an extra battery and a car charger cord so its not so bad anymore. My problem is that the NVFS is getting drained very quickly. I heard Cradlecare was a memory hog and I dumped that app and it helped some but it still drains fast. My wifes centro will stay at 9 and 10mb of NVFS for days. An hour after a soft reset my NVFS will be down to 1.8mb. I can't use blazer if it is under 6mb. Is there an app that will detect the memory leak?