Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Just upgraded yesterday from a 700p (with the MR upgrade) to a 755p. Lo and behold, Pocket Tunes can now make it through a whole song with Chatter running in the background without skipping. That's how it used to work on my 650, but I had to shut down Chatter to listen to skip-free music on my 700p. And the MR didn't fix anything on my 700p.

So my question is, why should that be? I get why there was a change between the 650 and the 700p (although I can't say I get why Palm allowed that to happen), since there were hardware differences between the two. But isn't the 755p just a 700p in a different container? Same operating system. Same hardware. Is anyone techie enough to know the answer?

Just curious.

Thanks.
    Because even though they are pretty much the same ROM post MR there are still some hardware changes in memory management that the 755p has that the 700p didn't have that make handling music a little smoother.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Got it. Thanks. I figured if I knew the reason, I wouldn't have to live in constant fear of this newfound non-skippiness disappearing on me.
    Palm said that they shared the same hardware that they used for the 700w for the 700p to minimize production cost and because of that the Palm OS on the 700p didn't run as smoothly as it did on the 650.

So in other words the 700p is a big mistake, while the 755p is what the 700p should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Palm said that they shared the same hardware that they used for the 700w for the 700p to minimize production cost and because of that the Palm OS on the 700p didn't run as smoothly as it did on the 650.

So in other words the 700p is a big mistake, while the 755p is what the 700p should have been.
    So, is there a way to get Ptunes to not skip when using Chatter and SAG? I hate having to 1) shut down Chatter, 2) launch SAG, 3) launch PTunes (if freeze up repeat steps 1-3 after reset)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I take it Palm didn't repeat the 700p/700w hardware mistake with the 750/755? I assumed the 750 and 755 were twins as well, but I guess not.

As for the 755p being what the 700p should have been, I'm pretty impressed with the upgrade so far. The only issue is the battery, which I'm fixing with a Seidio replacement. I don't understand why Palm -- for a 20 dollar increase -- can't just include as original equipment the more powerful batteries that Seidio is always able to offer five minutes after a new Treo release.
    I also recently was upgraded from a 700p to a 755p by sprint under my replacement plan. It's like night and day. I ported all the software over to the new treo (except Mundu) and it *all* runs far better with no lags, reboots or Bluetooth issues. For anyone who had a bad experience with their 700p, I think they should try the 755. It really is what the 700 should have been.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'll second that, after admittedly only two days' experience.

I was expecting just to like the new form factor, which I do. In addition to the lack of antenna and slight weight and depth reduction, I find the grippiness to be better and the keyboard to have a better feel.

But, beyond that, I unexectedly can use ptunes again without having to shut down Chatteremail (my only solution to the skipping problem on the 700p). Also, I find that the Treo keeps up with my typing perfectly, instead of the not infrequent lag I had on the 700p. Also, Goodlink no longer conflicts with the zoom on my camera, so I can take 2X pictures again.

I'm not sure that the 755p is any quicker changing between applications than the 700p was. Also, I still get a reset periodically, like with the 700p. But no upgrade is perfect.
    Could also be the newer (faster) miniSD cards. I had a fast card on my 700P-MRed and it didn't skip even while running PDAnet over BT. The card does make a difference with pTunes.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Could be the card, but I thought I had a pretty fast one for the 700p and it still skipped every 30 secs. I don't know exactly how these compare, but I had a 150x SD card (4GB) with the 700p and now I'm using a Class 6 mini-SD card (also 4GB) with the 755p.
    I agree with all this. My 700p was replaced with a 755p through Sprint insurance and the 755p has caused me to fall in love with my Treo all over again.

755p is very cool.
    I got my 755p in September -- and its been a real upgrade from the 650 -- will probably need a 2nd battery though

is the big battery worth it in terms of extra size/weight ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I got my 755p in September -- and its been a real upgrade from the 650 -- will probably need a 2nd battery though

is the big battery worth it in terms of extra size/weight ??
    Bought the Seidio 2100mAh battery (now they are 2200mAh) and have never looked back - it's great. The stock 1600mAh one just sucks. Since buying the Seidio I've not had to swap in my "spare" and have never "needed" to tether to make it through a typical day, something I can't say about the stock one. The Treo 680 users must be REALLY miserable with the 1200mAh ones!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I agree with all this. My 700p was replaced with a 755p through Sprint insurance and the 755p has caused me to fall in love with my Treo all over again.

755p is very cool.
    Something tells me that Assurion is taking the "hit" for the corners Palm cut with the Treo 700p - excessive amount of "drownings" and "dropped" 700p's. To Sprint's credit, they seem to admit that the 700p was done badly, just as Palm finally admitted that the 650 memory was done badly...

Just once it would be great to see Palm design a new Treo aiming for a quality product rather than cutting as many corners as they can and still get away with it (for a while). Garnet has it's limitations, but it's Palm's dumb, shortsighted hardware specifications that have given the Treo it's problematic reputation.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z View Post
    I don't understand why Palm -- for a 20 dollar increase -- can't just include as original equipment the more powerful batteries that Seidio is always able to offer five minutes after a new Treo release.
    Palm's philosophy seems to be: Why include a $5 better battery in the OEM product when you can sell plenty of $40 "spare" batteries to the suckers.. err..umm.. "valued customers."

From the decision to put a piezo buzzer into the original Pilot rather than a real speaker, through endless short-sighted calls that have allowed even the crummy Windows Mobile OS to gain a foothold, Palm has continued to design the devices from an MBA's standpoint rather than as one who uses the device every day and is passionate about them. If it weren't for the rebels that broke away from Palm and formed Handspring (later to be bought out for the Treo property), Palm would have died off years ago. The only "smartphone" Palm ever designed on their own was the Tungsten W - a phone without a microphone (honest).

Perhaps Palm would say they used a lesser battery to save a few grams of weight - but that would only prove the same point that they don't design from the perspective of what's important to end users. I will gladly suffer a few grams weight rather than lose my phone or need to buy, carry and charge a separate (heavier) battery 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulclif View Post
    For anyone who had a bad experience with their 700p, I think they should try the 755. It really is what the 700 should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Could also be the newer (faster) miniSD cards. I had a fast card on my 700P-MRed and it didn't skip even while running PDAnet over BT. The card does make a difference with pTunes.
    The only shortcoming of the 755p seems to be that you can't use any of your old SD cards, which also means you're stuck with 4GB max at present.

Since I upgraded to an 8GB Transcend class 6 SDHC card on my 700p, I haven't had very many skipping issues, except when in a weak service area. Sometimes in this case, the music pauses, then I hear a shrill tone, followed by a "beep-beep-boop", a 1-5 second pause, then a "boop-boop-beep" sound, then the music continues. The shrill tone just about blows my eardrums out...it's probably 50dB louder than the loudest notes of the music I'm playing.

Is this still an issue with the 755p?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    when in a weak service area. Sometimes in this case, the music pauses, then I hear a shrill tone, followed by a "beep-beep-boop", a 1-5 second pause, then a "boop-boop-beep" sound, then the music continues. The shrill tone just about blows my eardrums out...it's probably 50dB louder than the loudest notes of the music I'm playing.

Is this still an issue with the 755p?
    I can't say for the volume, but the tones are still there. The annoying delay when you're in this state is still there as well.

Also on my 755p, the data drop/reacquire tone does not appear to respect the silence switch (I allow that I may have some setting wrong). One of our conference rooms is on the edge of my coverage... suffice it to say I schedule for the other side of the building. =)
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Palm's philosophy seems to be: Why include a $5 better battery in the OEM product when you can sell plenty of $40 "spare" batteries to the suckers.. err..umm.. "valued customers."
    To be honest, the battery issue is pretty simple to me. Of the three phones I've gotten directly from Sprint, all three of them had bad-to-terrible battery capacity because they'd been sitting around uncharged in a warehouse somewhere; much less than spec but also much less than other people who had the phones reported, with similar usage patterns. Sprint, of course, doesn't warrant battery capacity. For this reason alone I'd rather buy a real battery from a battery dealer than pay an extra $5 to Sprint when I upgrade my phone.

This may be a Sprint-specific problem, but somehow I just don't trust cell carriers in general to maintain temperatures and charges on their stored batteries correctly.

Sorry for the double-post, but since both are off-the-posted-topic I figured why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    I can't say for the volume, but the tones are still there. The annoying delay when you're in this state is still there as well.

Also on my 755p, the data drop/reacquire tone does not appear to respect the silence switch (I allow that I may have some setting wrong). One of our conference rooms is on the edge of my coverage... suffice it to say I schedule for the other side of the building. =)
    Now I am wondering if this is still a "feature" of the Centro. It might be worth an upgrade if there is no pause when in a weak/no service area. And the shrill tones must be gotten rid of too.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!