1.    #1  
    Anyone using this with Centro?

What GPS sensor is Best?

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1172.html
    FastFrank
    Any SiRF III receiver should work great. I actually bought the Freedom Keychain Bluetooth SiRF III receiver and it is working wonderfully for me. The reviews have been accurate in how quickly it gets a connection and I love how small it is.

Also, the program works as expected...it shows where you are on Google Maps.
    Hi French,

Say more about how this works with Gmaps please. Does is simply show your location on the map, or can you get directions and routing info?

Thanks
    I'm waiting for this GPS receiver to be delivered. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It appears to have roughly the same specs as the Holux-236 Slim that I had a year ago. I plan to use it with TeleNav. I'll let you know how it works later in the week.
    I have no idea, do you have to pay a monthly fee or just buy the receiver? Also, doesn't TeleNav run on Java, which has been a problem for some?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe View Post
    Hi French,

Say more about how this works with Gmaps please. Does is simply show your location on the map, or can you get directions and routing info?

Thanks
    Both, but it just allows you to get your location at that snapshot in time and plugs the coordinates into Google Maps, so it will give you directions using Google Maps, but not continously update as you move along the route.

Also, no monthly fee, just buy a receiver.
    Sorry...I was in training earlier. I see noahas has responded to the question of what exactly Where Am I does.

As far as TeleNav...I am running it on my Centro and I did not install Java and have experienced no issues. The freedom mini GPS and TeleNav is a good combo.
    How much is TeleNav? I would definitely get that!
    $9.99 per month. It's subscription based, but I think the maps are updated 4 times a year and POIs are constantly updated. Or at least that's what they claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Any SiRF III receiver should work great. I actually bought the Freedom Keychain Bluetooth SiRF III receiver and it is working wonderfully for me. The reviews have been accurate in how quickly it gets a connection and I love how small it is.

Also, the program works as expected...it shows where you are on Google Maps.
    Will only SiRF receivers work with Palm devices or can you use a RFMD Bluetooth GPS unit? I have a RFMD gps unit from my Windows Mobile days and can not get the Centro to discover the gps unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjphilpot View Post
    I'm waiting for this GPS receiver to be delivered. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It appears to have roughly the same specs as the Holux-236 Slim that I had a year ago. I plan to use it with TeleNav. I'll let you know how it works later in the week.
    I would not recommend the GlobalSat 328 that you ordered. I've been using it for over 2 weeks. It loses Gps satellite position frequently. And this is in areas with no tall buildings. It can also take awhile to lock into a satellite position, sometimes as long as 5 minutes. There are also times where it won't connect through bluetooth with my Centro. Many times I will start up Tom Tom, and it won't connect. I have to restart TomTom, and it will many times connect the second time.
  12.    #12  
    All the responses have been very helpful. Thank you.

What action do you have to take to update your position? and what does Gmap Display when you are in directions mode.

If you are traveling on a trip and using directions, how do you know how far to next turn and time and distance to final destination.

When travelling w/GMaps and no GPS, I simply enter a nearby (City ST) into "From" and request Directions.

It would seem that a "Live GMaps" would not be a big effort for Google. I hope they read this thread and get motivated as herds would like a low cot solution.

How is battery consumption with BT On?

What is lowest cost GPS hardware?

Thanks, FastFrank
    FastFrank
    I would not recommend the GlobalSat 328 that you ordered.
    I just tried out the BT-328 with Telenav today for about 20 minutes. So far, I really like Telenav (having owned TT5 in the past). The only time the GPS has lost connection is in parking garages (to be expected). I'll post back in a couple weeks when I've played with it more.
  14.    #14  
    Could you give more feedback on using Where am I

Thanks
    FastFrank
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    WAI does exactly what it says 4 me. I can even use my headset without any interference. WAI hits my g-sat 359 for just a second and shows my location. Pulldown menu gives directions in Gmaps.
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc View Post
    I would not recommend the GlobalSat 328 that you ordered. I've been using it for over 2 weeks. It loses Gps satellite position frequently. And this is in areas with no tall buildings. It can also take awhile to lock into a satellite position, sometimes as long as 5 minutes. There are also times where it won't connect through bluetooth with my Centro. Many times I will start up Tom Tom, and it won't connect. I have to restart TomTom, and it will many times connect the second time.
    It might be worth exchanging that one. Their model 338 gets great reviews (no I don't have one). You might have a bad one.. please report back if you try it again.
    sorry for jumping in but does anyone know of a simple yet problem free gps combo pack for the centro or should i just buy a gps im not sure i wanna know how they run update all that im kinda new to gps
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net