1.    #1  
    I tried searching so please be gentle if this topic was brought up many times previously.

Does the Centro allow you to receive phone calls while you send/receive through the EVDO data service? (I'm not even sure if any of the post-650 Treo's do this)

I currently have a 650 and it's always bothers me that the phone will not receive calls while it's sending or receiving data. This made it so I couldn't setup an IMAP email account since the phone would constantly send and receive.
    Not a problem with the Centro!

This was an important consideration for upgrading to these smartphones. We've had the basic Sprint Sanyo phones (VI-2300) and my partner would be annoyed if I was using the wireless web when he was trying to call me.

Data flow is interrupted and the call comes through. I think I read that the voice and data are segmented correctly with this Centro and allows calls to come in, while accessing data or using the Centro features (pTunes, Memo, Calendar). I'll have to look it up on my bookmarks...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response, dre_dbldbl.

Seems I didn't search by the proper keywords since I found a few posts for other phones. The post linked HERE (from Jan 2007) someone states that EVDO Rev A should support simultaneous data and calls.

Is the Centro EVDO or EVDO Rev A? If it's EVDO Rev A, can anyone confirm if it supports simultaneous data and phone calls?
    Centro is not Rev A. It will not support simultaneous voice and data. Dre is still correct. If you are on data and a call comes in, it will punt you from data in favor of the call. When you are done with the call, you can resume the data connection. But while on the call, you will not have data.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. Although, I'm sure we would all prefer the ability to have simultaneous data and voice, I'd be happy with the data being dropped to give priority to voice calls.
    Dunno if this helps,

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...centro/?#specs

No mention specifically if it's Rev.A

I re-read your concern about your 650 and IMAP usage. Be advised the Centros have a smaller battery and the rapid drainage issue has been talked about amongst the forum.
    Last edited by dre_dbldbl; 11/12/2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: edited for syntax & clarification
    The Centro is EVDO Rev 0, and is also 1xRTT capable. EVDO natively supports DDTM switching (Data Dedicated Transmission Mode). When turned "off", an incoming voice call will end the data session and the phone will ring. The Centro has DDTM turned off by default.

If/when you are in a non-EVDO area, the phone will fall to 1xRTT. During 1xRTT data sessons, the phone will not ring. The call will go to voicemail.

How do you know? EVDO is represented by stacked up/down arrows, while 1x is represented by a single pair of up/down arrows.

BTW, UMTS/HSDPA supports simultaneous voice and data today, even video calling...
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    The Centro is EVDO Rev 0, and is also 1xRTT capable. EVDO natively supports DDTM switching (Data Dedicated Transmission Mode). When turned "off", an incoming voice call will end the data session and the phone will ring. The Centro has DDTM turned off by default.

If/when you are in a non-EVDO area, the phone will fall to 1xRTT. During 1xRTT data sessons, the phone will not ring. The call will go to voicemail.

How do you know? EVDO is represented by stacked up/down arrows, while 1x is represented by a single pair of up/down arrows.

BTW, UMTS/HSDPA supports simultaneous voice and data today, even video calling...
    You are correct. We are in a non EVDO area and I get calls all the time that go to voicemail.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone