Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Going from a RAZR with the H700 bluetooth to the Centro and H700 I'm starting to really mis pushing button on the H700 and having the phone ask me who to call. I tried Nuance and it works well I don't need a lot of the features and it's slow as it uses internet connection.

I still can't beleive Palm dosen't have a voice control program, my 2 year old cell phone has it.
    Chalk it up to Sprint and their Voice Command service:
    Sprint PCS Voice Command responds to any voice, works on any Sprint PCS phone, and is available for a nominal monthly charge with a Service Plan
    *emphasis mine

Description of Voice Command

I think this service goes back to their start as SprintPCS. It's annoying to find that other non-Sprint phone/devices can have it part of their firmware but Sprint does not allow for it to be built-in the phone as it competes with their product.

I'm sure Palm did not have a say in not including voice dialing set in the firmware of the Centro.

It's star-talk button (* + GREEN button) to access on your phone. Sprint kindly adds it to your contacts.
    Last edited by dre_dbldbl; 11/12/2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: clarified Voice Command action
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Well I know the 755P from Sprint didn't have it but what about the 755P for Verizon, if it ever gets there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dre_dbldbl View Post
    Chalk it up to Sprint and their Voice Command service...
    I don't think you can blame it on Sprint. Yes, it would compete with Sprint's VC, but Sprint has many phones that have builtin voice dial. Indeed my old Samsung i500 from 4 years ago has a very good voice dial feature. I remember as I was discussing my plan with retentions, the agent offered me VC for *free*, even begged me to have it. I told her I didn't need it... (why call Sprint before calling your actual call recipient ?). Most current Samsung phones have builtin voice dial, as do Sanyos, Motos, and LGs. I think it is Palm's problem, not Sprint's...
    Yeah Voice command has been around since at least 1999 or so.

That never stopped anyone from having voicedialing capabilities on a phone. It seems like it is two things:
    - Palm didn't make sure the Voice Signal Voice Dial app is compatible with the Centro yet. It is compatible with all other Palm Treos. Nuance bought Voice Signal, so there may be delay (or they may not build it) because Nuance wants you to buy their Pay/Month service.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    No voice dial is getting tobe a real pain today. I'm so use to just hitting the button my blutooth ear piece and saying "Call Gloria Work" and the thing would just dial, it was awsome, never had to take my phone out. Well I guess thoes days are gone.
    That will never happen. Since the Treo 650, Palm never implemented the capability of Bluetooth Voicedialing. Voice Dialing on any of the Palm OS devices only works with the built-in mic or a wired mic. Voicesignal and other makers of Voice dial apps for the Palm, were waiting for Palm to include the bluetooth capability in the OS, but it never happened.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    It's a limitation of the OS. Remember, even the Centro & 755p are basically running the Handspring-hacked version of OS 5 that first appeared on the Treo 600. At that time (2002-2003) Handspring didn't have the time, cash, or inclination to add native voice dialing into the Palm OS phone stack. And Palm certainly cannot be bothered to do it now since there's no reason to spend ANY $ on an OS that's technically not theirs and is due for replacement, ahem, "any day now". The way Palm sees it, the half-arsed workaround that is the Nuance monthly service is "good enough" for their customers and keeps their master (Sprint) happy by adding to Sprint's bottom line every month.

Guys, face it: Palm doesn't CARE about their users one bit. Need an example? Look at the sheer folly of this article from over a year ago. Palm was the first handset manufactuer to jump up and support the Governator's new bill. Yet Palm has yet to produce a single POS Treo that has native voice dialing (and even if they did, then we'd still have no standard voice dialing over BT to worry about).

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/007918.html
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ... I'm a bit disgruntled too since I became rather fond of the voice dialing service on my just now retired i500 (ick, OLD technology!). However, it would seem that Centro users are stuck with making one of two choices (might be others, but I'm not finding them):
    1) Sprint's $5 per month service or
    2) Nuance's $6 per month service.
    I've heard someone already mention that they had tried Nuance but it provided far more then they needed. I'm tempted to fire up the Nuance 30 day trial but I'd like to hear comparisons between these two voice command services with pros/cons and since Sprint doesn't have a trial period I'm reluctant to throw $5 away if it's not worth considering.

thanks,
    Karl
    PS: Oh yeah, I'm new here. Just picked up my Centro in exchange for the MotoRazR2 V9M yesterday... hope I didn't make a mistake?
    Hello Everyone,

VoiceDialIt 2.0 now supports the Treo Centro.

Please download your free trial at:

http://www.voiceit-tech.com/product.php?product_id=96

Thanks,
    The Support Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Going from a RAZR with the H700 bluetooth to the Centro and H700 I'm starting to really mis pushing button on the H700 and having the phone ask me who to call. I tried Nuance and it works well I don't need a lot of the features and it's slow as it uses internet connection.

I still can't beleive Palm dosen't have a voice control program, my 2 year old cell phone has it.
    Last edited by intelligentforu; 11/23/2007 at 01:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Unfortunatley, 2.0 still doesn't support bluetooth.
    I contacted VoiceSignal about Centro support. The replied promptly that they were planning to support Centro in the near future but they could not set a timeframe.

I do not think that VoiceDialIt from Voiceit-tech is a viable solution for large contact lists. I much prefer VoiceSignal's approach with a "precompiled" list of all contacts, and allowing commands such as "Call John Doe mobile" that allows calling individual numbers, and which does not need that each individual telephone number entry (i.e. John Doe mobile, John Doe work, ...) to be trained by the user first.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    I'm with you jnm, I'm still waiting for a half way deceint voice dial program. Pity with the technolgy available now a days the Centro dosen't have anything with voice dial.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    So I just noticed that the GSM version of the Centro has builtin Voice Dialing. What gives??? IS this a GSM vs CDMA feature? That is just a slap in the face IMO.
    who makes the voice dial application on the gsm version? are you sure it isn't the Nuance app?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hello. Yes, the AT&T version of the Centro has voicedialing built in. I believe the app is VoiceSignal.
    The unlocked Euro GSM Centro has VoiceSignal voice dialing built in as well.
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    hmm... I emailed Palm and VoiceSignal about that a while ago. They were looking into making a Centro compatible version...hmm... Is it built-in to the firmware, or do you install it?

I see there is a press release too... Sheesh.. I want to get this for my Sprint version. I had a license on all my previous treos.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1599-1.htm
    The phone came with an application named "Voice Dial" by VoiceSignal built in. I did not install it. VoiceSignal v2.0, Version OIK 1957, Build 2.0.53.0

Does this help at all?
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Humm.. Maybe we could e-mail VoiceSignal, and ask about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast