1.    #1  
    What's the real difference and which one is better? Seems like coreplayer can do more for the centro.
    I have both. I prefer coreplayer for watching movies on my sd card. Less choppy, more logical controls. That being said, if I could only have one, it would be kinoma hands down because of the Internet streaming and content guide. I don't live in an EVDO coverage area, but get really acceptable video streaming anyway. As others will point out, there is a free version of coreplayer available.
  3.    #3  
    Do you know where to download the free version of Coreplayer? Is that a trial version? I noticed that coreplayer says it can play divx files.

Does Kinoma also play vids from the sdcard?
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    The free version of Coreplayer is called TCPMP. Since the old website seems to have been taken down, you can download the program and additional codecs here. It's worth noting that TCPMP will probably have further development when it is released as the open-source BetaPlayer later this year. I have both and they work the same. Coreplayer adds Skinning, Visualizations and Advanced Streaming (RTP/RTSP/HTTP/MMS/UDP) and UPnP support.

Coreplayer/TCPMP have a nice plug-in architecture so you can add what you need by way of codecs. XVID/divx are supported as are AC3, FLAC, OGG and some others.

For my needs, Kinoma (paid version) is worth it for the full YouTube search capability and Coreplayer/TCPMP for the FLAC (lossless audio) and xvid capability. Pocket Tunes is a must-have because it handles gapless playback.
  5.    #5  
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddietreo View Post
    Does Kinoma also play vids from the sdcard?
    Absolutely.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I like Kinoma for streaming stuff but i prefer TCPMP for movies i've converted from other sources and put on an SD card. TCPMP is free as already mentioned.

I haven't figured out how to launch Kinoma player on my Centro yet though. It just automatically comes on in Utube but i don't have an icon for it on my phone anywhere. Kind of weird, must be embedded or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Absolutely.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    It would be nice if this was explained to those who don't know who to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank View Post
    I like Kinoma for streaming stuff but i prefer TCPMP for movies i've converted from other sources and put on an SD card. TCPMP is free as already mentioned.

I haven't figured out how to launch Kinoma player on my Centro yet though. It just automatically comes on in Utube but i don't have an icon for it on my phone anywhere. Kind of weird, must be embedded or something.
    The kinoma that you see while using blazer is basically the strip down free version palm included with blazzer.

The version you want is the pay versions which would give you the icon on the menu and allow you to search the full category of youtube compared to just what is available on mobile youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by cj morin View Post
    It would be nice if this was explained to those who don't know who to do this.
    Here's a blog entry I wrote on different ways to get stuff onto an SD card:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/09/three...to-an-sd-card/

As for the types of video files, you'll use MPEG-4 files or WMV files. An easy way to get started making those files is to use our free trial of Kinoma Producer.

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/08/free-...ducer-4-trial/

If you have specific questions, don't be shy! I'm happy to help.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by philosophico View Post
    The kinoma that you see while using blazer is basically the strip down free version palm included with blazzer.

The version you want is the pay versions which would give you the icon on the menu and allow you to search the full category of youtube compared to just what is available on mobile youtube.
    Hi Charles, I already know how to get files on to my SD card.

How do I use the embedded Kinoma player (on my 680) to view or listen to the files?

-Ben
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    as he said you don't. it will only open certain streams from the net. for what you want you have to purchase the full version..
  13.    #13  
    So, I purchased the Kinoma upgrade from the Centro. It's alright. I thought I'd be able to go to youtube.com and just stream the video from the site or any site like Veoh.com, Break.com, Cnet.com, etc. But it doesn't work that way. You HAVE to use the Kinoma Media Search engine and watch the videos that way. And the search engine only works for Youtube and Google Video. Kinoma's search engine has a list of other sites it can search, but most of them I've never heard of.

I mean, I was hoping I can go into a website that has videos. Especially sites where people post up last nights episode of Heroes or something. Kinoma does have a function where you can open up a URL. You can type in the URL of the vid I guess. I tried it and it didn't work. It probably doesn't support divx or mpg or whatever. But my point is, if I wanted to watch a specific vid, I would have to know off the top of my head the actual LINK to the video. Not the URL to the page, but the URL to the actual video. I find that annoying.

I just started using it. Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong. So, for those of you that are using Kinoma and know how to watch certain vids, let me know.

As for Coreplayer, I got the free download and it works like a charm in watching divx movies off my SD card. Can it stream videos off websites? Don't think it can.
    hmm ... another cool thing kinoma does that I had not thought of. I used to go to archive.org and download videos to my sd card, and then play them with coreplayer. With kinoma I can just play the video directly. I hit the download (not streaming) link, and it asked me if I wanted to play it. Worked great.
    I'm not having much luck with the streaming. I'm running a 680 with EDGE but don't have anough bandwidth to stream video or even audio only braodcasts - does anyone else have that problem?
    Regarding Kinoma vs CorePlayer,

When I had my 650, I was using a free video converter programme that even had various mobile phone profiles for automated coversion for height-width, resolution, video and audio quality. When I can, I'll post the software's name here.

I find with the Treo 680, I don't need to convert the video and put up with the slight jerky behaviour rather than spend time convereting video.
    I am in a no-EVDO backwater. I find that my Internet speed varies quite a bit, from about 60-175 kbs. Usually about 120. I find that Kinoma (and slingplayer) perform decently a lot of the time. I guess it is an expectations thing -- I was surprised that they work at all.

I did one test at (using the mobile test at dslreports.com) of my centro, and my wife's 650, and the centro was more than twice as fast as the 650..