View Poll Results: PDANet vs. USBModem

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use PDANet and I'm pleased with it.

8 29.63%
  • Yes, I use PDANet but I'm not pleased with it.

1 3.70%
  • Yes, I use PDANet but I want to try USBModem

2 7.41%
  • Yes, I use USBModem and I'm pleased with it.

9 33.33%
  • Yes, I use USBModem but I'm not pleased with it.

0 0%
  • Yes, I use USBModem, but I want to try PDANet

0 0%
  • Only trial user, haven't decided which to buy.

5 18.52%
  • Other, please explain.

2 7.41%
  1.    #1  
    Just curious as to which program you are using with the Centro and how it's going.

If you indicate you are not happy with either, please state why: (too slow, dropped connections, wouldn't work, etc.)

Thanks
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 11/11/2007 at 10:56 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I'm using both. Well I transfered my PdaNet license to my wifes Centro and I just purchased USB Modem for mine. Both work fine. I did have some bluetooth issues with my computer and PdaNet but that could be my computer. I have been using PdaNet for years on the 650, 755. I needed another copy so I decided to try USB Modem. I read people here were getting faster connections and it was less expensive. PdaNet is a little easier to setup and even use but I can't tell the difference when connected in my area (non evdo).
    So jazzed to find about USBModem; I've a couple of Mac notebooks and they worked flawlessly via Bluetooth, and with the iBook connected via USB sync cable no problems at all. PDANet was a no-go for me, as it does not support Mac.
    I use both.

USB Modem is, by my tests, much faster than PDANet. But that also comes at the cost of stability. If I'm downloading a large file(s) or a lot of data, the throughput seems to conk out the connection. (Incidentally, this happened on my 700wx too but with PDANet, ironically.)

So PDANet is good for a stable connection though at slower speeds. USBModem is good for just plan surfing and light data.

But that's my experience. Maybe something is quirky on my laptop.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Do I need to uninstall the used trial version and reinstall a clean version before purchasing the upgrade to full version? I've been a few days out of the trial, and would think I'd have to reinstall a fresh version.