1.    #1  
    So i installed Java and Opera to see if Opera's that much better than Blazer to justify the storage space loss.

I installed Java via hotsync and Opera over the air. I did the initial setup when opera launched and i'm at a start page that has a search box and some links to yahoo, myspace etc. If i click on Yahoo, i get asked if it's ok to use airtime, i tap Yes and then i get a screen that says End User License at the top in the title bar and the status bar at the bottom goes about half way, the screen in the middle stays blank and then i get kicked out to my launcher ?

Anyone had this issue?
    I tried downloading Opera Mini 4.0 and the Java applet twice, and could never get them to load. I have a 755P, btw. To me it just wasn't worth the time to figure out what was wrong. Besides I like to occasionally give up on such things, to prove that I'm not really a gadget geek/nerd. I read in another forum thread that Opera wasn't that much faster then Blazer anyway, and since I've got 3G, why bother?

Stu
    I tried installing Opera over the air but gave up and did it via my PC. It worked. See my thread in the other forum: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=1#post1373399

I think it's the best browser I have seen on small devices (I don't get out much), and the mobile browsing setting is better than full page browsing for small screen (I think full page browsing on a tiny screen is cumbersome), and even the IPhone browser could benefit from this option despite its screen being larger.

But too bad that it has to be that unstable. It froze my Centro several times already. I am hoping there will be a bug fix.
    I have no idea but I thought people here have said Java doesn't play nice. It sounds like your issue is with Java. I have no idea but no one's replied yet. Search Java above the first post.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've installed IBM Java microsphere whatever you call it and gmail and that works fine. I tried installing opera and it crashes every time. I would love it if someone would post a fix / info
    I'd wait and see but my thought on it based on what I've read here is it will work if you remove Java. Do you use the backup you can revert to?
  7.    #7  
    I have Opera working now. Here are some tips i can offer:

#1) I downloaded and installed Java from this location:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/download.html
    I unzipped it and installed these two files to the RAM, not the SD card.
    Navigate to the PALMOS JVM 5.7.2 folder that was unzipped.

1. In that folder, open the JVM folder.
    2. In that folder, open the ARM4T folder.
    3. In that folder, select J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc.

#2) I did the Windows download of Opera. What I noticed with the Over the Air install is that you install v3.x, not v4. It's not obvious on the over the air mini.opera.com website. You have to click a secondary link to go to the v4 download screen where as the download link that's most obvious on the main page there is for v3 which is what my problem with the resetting was. If you tap Menu and Tools and Settings and there's an option there to change skins, you're not using the right version. v4 doesn't have that option.

Once i got the right version of Java and the right version of Opera installed, everything's cool.

Opera can run from the SD card but Java apparently can't.
    Is there a good site to test the Java on to see how well it works?
    bayareatank, great. Chances are you will see the annoying connection confirmation dialog every time it tries to connect to the network. Search the forum and install this file:
    j9secpol.prc
    to get rid of it.

Let us know how stable it is for you. It freezes on me pretty often. I started a thread on Opera Mini forum asking any one with a Treo/Centro who find Opera Mini stable to response. So far none did.

I also filled out a bug report.
    BUMP - thank you very much for the info. I checked, and over-the-air download is still v3. I stepped through the download via the PC section of the opera mini website and selected 755p - the resulting file was the v4 file.

It seems to work OK... its a bit of getting used to. I like how you can zoom-in on areas of a webpage, and I like that you can drag the webpage around. Images are not loading... I will have to find the right setting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bayareastank View Post
    I have Opera working now. Here are some tips i can offer:

#1) I downloaded and installed Java from this location:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/download.html
    I unzipped it and installed these two files to the RAM, not the SD card.
    Navigate to the PALMOS JVM 5.7.2 folder that was unzipped.

1. In that folder, open the JVM folder.
    2. In that folder, open the ARM4T folder.
    3. In that folder, select J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc.

#2) I did the Windows download of Opera. What I noticed with the Over the Air install is that you install v3.x, not v4. It's not obvious on the over the air mini.opera.com website. You have to click a secondary link to go to the v4 download screen where as the download link that's most obvious on the main page there is for v3 which is what my problem with the resetting was. If you tap Menu and Tools and Settings and there's an option there to change skins, you're not using the right version. v4 doesn't have that option.

Once i got the right version of Java and the right version of Opera installed, everything's cool.

Opera can run from the SD card but Java apparently can't.
    also, I noticed is uses the home button in the app. I had to click the option button, then the home button, and it took me away from the app.

I cannot seem to find the landscape option, where it rotates the websites. Online it says to hit *#... but this does not work.

I figured out that you have to close Opera and re-open it if you change certain settings. At least, this is what I gathered. I did not select "mobile view" option, and I am using medium quality images. These seem to be the best settings for me, the websites look great and the webpage drag via touchscreen is nice. I actually live it alot... despite the poor Java software reviews.
    Last edited by CasopoliS; 11/26/2007 at 01:58 PM.
    Sounds like an iphone.
    It's very unstable on my 2-day-old Centro. Sometimes it exits to my Zlauncher 'shell'. A message flashes something like 'End User License Operation' just before the Zlauncher screen appears.

Sometimes it causes my Centro to reset, also.

This is a little disappointing ... one reason that I upgraded from my 650 was to have enough RAM to run Java, including Opera.

At this point I don't know how much instability is due to Java, and how much is due to Opera. I'm mostly inclined to blame the former, given the nature of the 'safe' environment which the JVM is supposed to provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    It's very unstable on my 2-day-old Centro. Sometimes it exits to my Zlauncher 'shell'. A message flashes something like 'End User License Operation' just before the Zlauncher screen appears.

Sometimes it causes my Centro to reset, also.

This is a little disappointing ... one reason that I upgraded from my 650 was to have enough RAM to run Java, including Opera.

At this point I don't know how much instability is due to Java, and how much is due to Opera. I'm mostly inclined to blame the former, given the nature of the 'safe' environment which the JVM is supposed to provide.
    I have no issues whatsoever... then again I don't have anything else installed on the Centro. Programs seem to mess with each other.
    I was pretty enthusiastic about Opera Mini 4 when it was first released. I started a thread here asking people to share their opinions. Within the first hour of using it, it froze my screen. I spend the next few hours tweaking the setting of IBM Java Virtual machine trying to get it to be more stable, but it didn't help much. I started a thread on Opera Mini forum asking any one who was able to get it running stable on a Treo/Centro to speak up. None did. Everyone replying ot that thread had occasional freeze requiring a reset.

I still use Opera Mini 4 on occasion when I feel adventurous. More than half of the time I got away with not having to taking out the Centro battery and reset it because OM4 froze. Still, it's not something I look forward to.

CasopoliS, you are lucky.
    There will not be a bug fix. This is Opera on palm. Works well when it works, but you'll be forced to do resets from freezes. If not for the resets, i'd use it over blazer all the time.

IMO, not worth the hassle of fooling with the battery cover.