Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Sprint is giving me an option to swap out my old 700p with either a brand new 700p or a brand new 755p. I've been using the 755p for about three 1/2 weeks and can't decide whether to keep it or go for a brand new 700p. I would love some feedback and advice.

I'm torn between the two devices. I really like the classic look of the 700p - even with the antenna - it also fits my SPE leather flip case. The burgundy 755p also looks and feels great. There are several minor differences between the 700p and the 755p but its hard to really assess those differences in terms of pros and cons:

- the 755p has a smaller battery (con) but its also lighter (pro);

- the 755p has no external antenna (pro) but reception seems worse (con)

- the 755p has a nice tactile feel to it, with the rubbery paint (pro) but on some of the units the paint wears off - including my initial unit (con)

- the 755p has Google Maps built in (pro) but, like DocsToGo, updates will have to be loaded into RAM or SD card anyway (con)

- the 755 supposedly has a louder speaker and may handle audio playback better than the 700p (less choppy).

So, as you can see, I'm in a bit of a quandary and I have about 2 days left to decide. I'd appreciate as much advice between these two units as I can get.

Many thanks!
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    The 700, at least for me, was much much much buggier than my 755. Its also uglier and heavier. Its an all around worse treo. The only pro it has over the 755 is the slightly bigger battery. In my eyes, you don't have much of a problem. The 755 is the clearly better choice.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Your point about bugginess is a good one. My 700p or, I should say, my MANY 700ps were definitely buggy. I guess i just assume the 755p will be equally as buggy. I'd definitely like to know if others have experienced the 755p as less buggy or, to put it another way, more stable than the 700p.

Thanks!
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    My 700p and now my 755p have never been "buggy" and I have a ton of stuff on them. Resets will occur since it is a OS just like all OS's they crash every once in a while. Either is a good choice but if I had a choice between the two of them I would go with the 755 since its a tad smaller and no antenna. There's no difference in internet speed since they are practically the same phone software wise. All software can be put on both phones so thats not really a selling point.
    The 755p was a HUGE improvement over the 700p. This was the device the 700p should have been. Although it is expensive, the new Seidio 2200 battery will work out well with the 755p.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    755p
    How reliable is the 755 as a phone? Compared to a standard phone such as a Moto e815. No sarcasm intended; I need a clue as to how much aggravation to expect. For me, the reports on the 700 make it absolutely unacceptable as a business tool.
    begin rant/ No fixes, promises, or stats of "only 20% of users have issues" would make it or a WM equivalent worth relying on. With the 815, when a call comes in - it rings and connects when I answer! Always, not 'usually'. It's never crashed when using call waiting, or texting, or while an alarm was set... the phone functions never crashed, period. This is what I expect from a phone, or the phone side of a pda/phone combo.
    end rant/
    So... can you carry an 755 as your only phone for business use, where you can't make excuses after appearing to blow off callers?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've had both and would recommend 755P. Form factor alone is worth it IMO.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    As bad as both of them are, the 755p, most definitely. The 700p is an ugly brick.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    I've had both and would recommend 755P. Form factor alone is worth it IMO.
    Reliable enough to use every day as your only phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry View Post
    How reliable is the 755 as a phone? Compared to a standard phone such as a Moto e815. No sarcasm intended; I need a clue as to how much aggravation to expect. For me, the reports on the 700 make it absolutely unacceptable as a business tool.
    begin rant/ No fixes, promises, or stats of "only 20% of users have issues" would make it or a WM equivalent worth relying on. With the 815, when a call comes in - it rings and connects when I answer! Always, not 'usually'. It's never crashed when using call waiting, or texting, or while an alarm was set... the phone functions never crashed, period. This is what I expect from a phone, or the phone side of a pda/phone combo.
    end rant/
    So... can you carry an 755 as your only phone for business use, where you can't make excuses after appearing to blow off callers?
    My 650, 700p and 755p have never crashed during a call and have always answered a call. I will not say all problems, but many many problems that Treo users have reported on this forum are due to conflicting 3rd party programs. Below is a list of what I have installed and use:

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free
    Reliable enough to use every day as your only phone?
    Yes. I have had a few resets on my 755, but mostly of my own doing (trying out different programs, etc.). The 755 is my only phone and I use it for both personal and business communications (e-mail and phone). I have Goodlink for business e-mail and Versamail with an EAS account for personal e-mail. It's a great business phone. Unlike my 700ps (3 or 4, I can't remember), I've had zero issues with losing calls to resets and the like.
    "It's a great business phone."

So.. is the 755 an or the exception to the unreliability of recent Treos?? I want to believe so, since one can have a Treo with Sprint Sero at very modest cost; a BB requires an extra $360/year for the BB data plan. But when one wants to believe something reality often has a sharp answer.
    I think Sprint has a 30 day trial plan. Try the Treo for 29 days. Give it a work out. If it fails the test. Get the BlackBerry. . . . . . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My 650, 700p and 755p have never crashed during a call and have always answered a call. I will not say all problems, but many many problems that Treo users have reported on this forum are due to conflicting 3rd party programs. Below is a list of what I have installed and use:

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such)
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop)
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

25mb of internal memory free
    This must be some kind of record! How often (if at all) does yours reset, and how well does BT work?
    No resets on the 650 and so far none on the 755p. The 700p had maybe one a week for me towards the end.

These programs have played nice together over the three devices for going on 4 years.

I use the Jawbone BT earpiece. I notice that, on occassion, it will "reconnect" to the Treo but this has never occurred during a call. Maybe just lucky. I only use the BT Headset while I am in the car.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/10/2007 at 07:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I don't have stability issues with the 755 but I've only had it a few days. The 700P wasn't great for reliability but 755 seems better (so far)..
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Anyone want to compare 755 reception w antenna phones (Treos w antenna or Moto e815 which is a good standard phone).
    I have always considered a recessed, extendable antenna as a function over style feature; there when you need it, mostly gone when you don't. I'm ready to try the 755 regardless, am now curious what to expect.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Go with the 755p. I have had them all and the 755p is a better phone.

But......Out of all of the palm phones the Centro has been the best palm device i have ever owned. Although it has many of the same features as a 755p it runs better.

The size is great. I fell like I have a regular sized phone now and is much more comfortable in my pocket.

I got my Centro as a free upgrade from a 755p. Just ask sprint and they will probably give you one.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Anyone want to compare 755 reception w antenna phones (Treos w antenna or Moto e815 which is a good standard phone).
    I have always considered a recessed, extendable antenna as a function over style feature; there when you need it, mostly gone when you don't. I'm ready to try the 755 regardless, am now curious what to expect.

I have not noticed any reception difference between my prior 650 and 700p vs. my current 755p.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast