Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not a big update but does seem to run smoother on my Treo 700p. Also installed / activated the dbcache plugin and it's very cool. Set at keep at least 6M free, it doesn't interfere with what I do, and now I don't ever get the Blazer "white screen 30-second delay!" Link to beta is near the bottom of the page. Cool!

ZLauncher 5.45b1

Changes in 5.45 Beta 1:

1. Fixed the sound looping problem on Treo 680 and Treo 700p when the screen goes black .

2. Provided a solution for user to stop ZLauncher from launching in case of the error problem after reset the device.

3. On NVFS, added ability that the DBCache would automatically be recycled when it's running less than 5M RAM. This ability is to enhance the performance on NVFS.

4. Added a plugin called ZLPluginDBCache which you can view, free DBCache. This plugin is only can be used on NVFS, and especially useful for TX, you can find it in the download package of ZLauncher.

5. Fixed a bug that the newly installed applications are not showing up under ZLauncher, but can be found under the default launcher.

6. Fix a bug that ZLauncher exits to the default launcher when pressing the Home button after reinstalling ZLauncher.
    Last edited by wellsjs; 11/09/2007 at 11:52 AM.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  2.    #2  
    For Treo users, that dbcache plugin is AWESOME! Forget other dbcache management attempts, this one WORKS! Set at 6M, maybe 7M, you won't even notice any lag between launching apps, and I doubt I'll ever experience that 30-second white screen waiting for Blazer to launch . . . ever again!!! Those guys at ZZTechs never cease to amaze me!
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Interesting. I put the beta on and my Palm Internals went from 4 to 800+. Wow! Now, I don't think PI is the super tell-all that some do, but that's a colossal difference. I put 5.44 back on, I'm back to 4 sec. AND I still have the db plugin and it seems to play fine. We'll see how that works.

I still think that ZLauncher is the difference between me using Palm or leaving for WM or some other OS. It's that good. Thanks for the tip!
  4.    #4  
    Hmm, I don't use Palm Internals. Tried it but just couldn't hurdle the "trust factor" with it. Regardless of the numbers it throws at you, did you notice additional delay in moving between apps. 5.45b1 seems a bit faster than 5.44 to me. I agree with it being a major influencer in my use/enjoyment of the Palm OS.

And this dbcache plugin rocks! No more white screen delays launching Blazer! I have noted that the free dbcache reported on screen never drops below the threshold you set in dbcache plugin's preferences, and it grabs back used space so fast you don't even know it's working!
    I installed only the DB cache plugin and also enabled the plugin within Launch-Anywhere and when used within Launch-Anywhere, the top of the screen does not properly clear.

Ben
    Further, Launch-Anywhere will not launch it via the 5-way. Gotta be the finga or the stylus.

Bun
    Have they added an autolaunch feature when you start typing a program name and there is only one match? Its the one feature I'm not willing to give up from TreoLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Interesting. I put the beta on and my Palm Internals went from 4 to 800+. Wow! Now, I don't think PI is the super tell-all that some do, but that's a colossal difference. I put 5.44 back on, I'm back to 4 sec. AND I still have the db plugin and it seems to play fine. We'll see how that works.

I still think that ZLauncher is the difference between me using Palm or leaving for WM or some other OS. It's that good. Thanks for the tip!
    My palminternals result before the beta (ZL 5.44) = 117 tics, 1 sec. After installing ZL 5.45b1 palminternals =117 tics, 1 sec.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    And this dbcache plugin rocks! No more white screen delays launching Blazer! I have noted that the free dbcache reported on screen never drops below the threshold you set in dbcache plugin's preferences, and it grabs back used space so fast you don't even know it's working!

Have you not used OffFlush or DBCacheFlush? Don't they do the same thing...set it and forget it..like ZL's new plug in?

I'm just curious if ZL's does something different...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    My palminternals result before the beta (ZL 5.44) = 117 tics, 1 sec. After installing ZL 5.45b1 palminternals =117 tics, 1 sec.
    Just put ZL 5.45b1 in ROM where 5.44 was...still the same PI results.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    I'll try this, of course, but I don't quite "get it". There's a dozen programs that handle dbcache, I have at least 2 which have the ability. Both are disabled, as I never have any problem with dbcache on my 680.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else uses other dbcache options, such as Reset Doctor?
  12.    #12  
    Palm may have fixed/improved the dbcache - Blazer issue with the 680. I don't know. But I have tried OffFlush, Reset Doctor, and DBCacheFlush and found them to be quirky. This little plugin does it's thing, when set to "6 M" without being able to tell it ever does anything. With the DBCache free level showing on the main ZL plugin tab screen, I can see that my free DBCache never drops below 6M, and as far as I have been able to tell, Blazer triggers to flush all of the cache somewhere around or below 5M, resulting in the 20-30 second white screen. Now it NEVER happens!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I have been using Reset Dr but it stops me regularly while it clears the cache. I have to wait or stop it.
    ZL seems to be handling it in the background so far.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Sounds good on the dbcache.. I'll give it a try.

However, I'm going to email the ZZTechs folks. As some people mentioned, the new version adds quite a bit of event lag. 88 to 171s in Palm Internals. It's once again the "Default Launcher" option, so I wonder if there's debugging or if they forgot something in this area. As you may recall, they had to fix this option before as it was taking up a lot of event time and has been fine for a couple of releases. They can probably fix it again.
    I think it has something to do with a difference between the 650 and 680. When I had ZL on my 650 it was much snappier and didn't affect diagnostics like PI. The 680 in identical configurations is slower. This happened again with the previous beta, though they seemed to fix it before the regular release. Deja Vu?

Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    Just put ZL 5.45b1 in ROM where 5.44 was...still the same PI results.
    My times have always been high - very high. However, running two launchers (ZLauncher and Launch-Anywhere, and other things that just sit waiting to do something) it is the price I pay.

I have been using Reset Doctor with it set to 4mb and it has always taken a bit of time to clear the db cache. When set to about 10 or so, it worked well, but I still had that rare time when I needed a bit more memory available. With the ZLauncher plugin and it set to 6MB, no delays. I tried it at 4MB and was not comfy with the figures it showed, though no delays.

Last night I installed the upgrade to ZLauncher itself and the response time was the same.

Ben
  17.    #17  
    Several days into it now, this ZLPluginDBCache rocks! It makes life with a Treo 700p MUCH nicer! No Blazer white screen delays. No resets by another app that didn't like the way Blazer dumped DBCache. I'm a very happy camper with my Treo now. It's a shame ZZTechs had to fix (DBCache) what Palm couldn't, or didn't care to!
    When i installed this new beta it just constantly reset my 755. It would just be sitting next to me not being used and just reset. Is anyone else with a 755 using this version? I took it off and went back to the stable version and the resets stopped.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hteasthope View Post
    When i installed this new beta it just constantly reset my 755. It would just be sitting next to me not being used and just reset. Is anyone else with a 755 using this version? I took it off and went back to the stable version and the resets stopped.
    I've experienced spontaneous resets on my 755 as well. I was hoping it was something else because I really like this dbcache clearing method much better than others.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    I've experienced spontaneous resets on my 755 as well. I was hoping it was something else because I really like this dbcache clearing method much better than others.
    Yea same here...I thought it would have been something else, but as soon as I removed the new version it went away instantly...
    Sprint Palm Pre
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast