Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I stumbled on this Centro reivew on wirelessinfo.com. Very thorough with lots of test data and comparisons to other smartphones. I've never seen a frequency response test/graph done on phones before for example. Generally a very positive review but check out the details! Click on the links on the intro page to get to the details.

http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/...one-Review.htm
    I thought it was a rather dumb review. Especially on the multimedia on which they critic. Ptunes makes the centro a pretty good music player that can stream. They give this a 4.0 and low marks but fail to mention that all the other ones they reviewed, they couldn't even get a stream going.

The Centro does music well. Album art? I think it does that..but man, who really cares?

As for video, you really need kinoma's full version.

Anways, they keep saying the Palm OS is a dying one that is in desperate need of an upgrade. Is it really?

Personally, i love the icon driven OS. The iphone does this as well. (and if the iphone had as much to do as the Centro, it'd be full of them).

It might need a cosmetic update and an ability to render text a bit better, but it's not in desperate need of an update yet.

This is easily the best smartphone on the market today and if you factor in the price and SERO plan, it wins easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by broxman View Post
    I stumbled on this Centro reivew on wirelessinfo.com. Very thorough with lots of test data and comparisons to other smartphones. I've never seen a frequency response test/graph done on phones before for example. Generally a very positive review but check out the details! Click on the links on the intro page to get to the details.

http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/...one-Review.htm
    Thanks for the review link!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    non palm reviews generally tend to miss a lot of what the palm can do. they quickly dismiss what they can't do right away with their limited knowledge and pass judgement. Outside of the Curve, none of the other phones belonged in the comparison. If you're looking at the other phones your needs obviously don't call for a true PDA.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I thought it was a rather dumb review. Especially on the multimedia on which they critic. Ptunes makes the centro a pretty good music player that can stream. They give this a 4.0 and low marks but fail to mention that all the other ones they reviewed, they couldn't even get a stream going.

The Centro does music well. Album art? I think it does that..but man, who really cares?
    It was interesting for the details on audio and image quality i.e. how they measured those--definitely thorough on that aspect. Overall I think their conclusion was fair: it's a darn good smartphone and a good value.

I agree about the MM section. Even as a hardcore WM user, I find pTunes pretty amazing, especially the streaming radio part (and correct, it does do Album art). I guess though when up against a walkman and an iPhone, it might pale in comparison a bit, but honestly I think that's to be expected.

Crogs is also right: some of those other phones make odd comparisons to the Centro, but I still found their numbers interesting (especially the iPhones numbers).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I read through the entire review. It was surprisingly thorough on the phone aspects (voice quality, etc).

However, I think they laid an egg on the keyboard usability review. Before you actually use the keyboard, it looks like it's going to be worse than the older Treos. However, I can say that I type almost as fast if not a bit faster on the Centro. And yes, I'll take on an iPhone user any day.
    I think even cramped hard keys will work out better in the long run that screen keys with no tactile feedback. That part annoyed me too. They didn't even try and compare. They just went on looks.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.