Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello all,
    Im new to the smartphone world so please take it easy on me.
    what i would like to know is whats the difference between propel pro and ultimate phone. I like the propel because it has voice dial, also has anyone used these?

thanks

ps i did a search and didnt find anything
    because you're probably on the wrong site.

i've never heard of an ultimate phone or a propel phone.
    Maybe this site would help: http://www.iambic.com/propel/palmos/
    In a nutshell, Ultimate Phone by GX5 started out as DialByPhoto and has morphed into other functions.

Propel is the Iambic version of Hobbyist Software's Initiate application launcher.

UltimatePhone and Propel (Initiate) have some similar functions.

Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Is me or do these programs take away from the Palm OS? I know they enhace it but it completely changes the look and feel of the OS, which is one of Palms strong points. I use Launcher X or Treo Launcher which still retain most of the look and feel of the OS. Just my .02
    well that was an ignorant response. why even bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Is me or do these programs take away from the Palm OS? I know they enhace it but it completely changes the look and feel of the OS, which is one of Palms strong points. I use Launcher X or Treo Launcher which still retain most of the look and feel of the OS. Just my .02

Yeah, I know what you mean...they are just kind of a thin layer on the OS...

But a lot of us have been using the PalmOS for a really _long_ time...and the look hasn't changed much. Sometimes, anything that freshens it up is a welcome change...

Rob
    The POS needs to be taken away from. I don't know why they couldn't have made a slick skin that enhances usability. I think Ultimate Phone has the right idea, but it's just not integrated enough. And if I can already have photos embedded into my contacts, why can't it access that. I don't see why I have to start from scratch.

So while the ideas are sound, I just think their integration is lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I think Ultimate Phone has the right idea, but it's just not integrated enough. And if I can already have photos embedded into my contacts, why can't it access that. I don't see why I have to start from scratch.

So while the ideas are sound, I just think their integration is lacking.
    Are you talking about the favorite screen? The way I understand it, it's a list of most often dial numbers. You add a number to that list by selecting it from the contact database. If the contact has a photo, then the photo would show up.

Or are you talking about having a list of every single contact in the database to scroll through, and show the photo if exists? In that case, UltimatePhone doesn't work that way.

I don't really care for the idea of dialing by photo in general. It's easier and faster to search by name, so when I was looking for Initiate (which I used for 2.5 years and liked it, but want something better) replacement, this feature almost turned me off. It turned out that the short list of most frequently dial numbers with photos implemented by UltimatePhone is great. If the list is long, it would be impractical for me (I don't have photos of all my contacts, and I may have trouble recognizing them at postage stamp size).

I really like the implementation of UltimatePhone dial screen. I can type name or number and it would start matching the best it can. It just works.

For me there is usually a trade off between functionality and simplicity. I don't want my phone to behave like a PC. With UltimatePhone I can get to things that I need most often quickly. Things like call a number, launch an app, search the web with different engines, all under a simple and elegant interface. I am not faced with a screen full of icons.

But launcher are personal, and that's why there are may to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post

What a jerk. And wrong to boot.

I use UP. It makes me enjoy looking at my Treo without changing the simplicity of the OS much. The photo contacts I use for the people that I call a lot and whose pictures I like to look at. I wouldn't want all of my contacts on my favorites. I think that's why they're called favorites.

Crogs, when you set up favorites in UP, if you have already have a picture for a contact, it defaults to that picture.
    Last edited by oddlou; 11/09/2007 at 06:44 PM.
  11. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Does Ultimate Phone "mount" to the home key?
    After playing with UltimatePhone for 10 days or so, I removed it from the Centro. dont get me wrong, the UI is great BUT the app is laggy and IMHO needs to be a lot snappier to cut it as a main phone interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Does Ultimate Phone "mount" to the home key?
    Yes it does.
  14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    thanks!
    Im researching this and a couple others right now.
    I just installed ultimate phone and have to say I like some of the features but after a full day of use I will probably end up going back to Takephone. Ultimate phone seems a bit laggy and doesn't have some of the nicer features like showing how many new emails/sms messages you have.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD311 View Post
    After playing with UltimatePhone for 10 days or so, I removed it from the Centro. dont get me wrong, the UI is great BUT the app is laggy and IMHO needs to be a lot snappier to cut it as a main phone interface.

I just removed it from my 755 as well after usign it awhile. It really is laggy and wow does it take up memory. It was conflciting with the home key and Zlauncher and things are a lot more stable now that its gone.

Don't get me wrong; it's a neat app. that I would definately use if it used less space/resources and was quicker.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Ultimate phone has really bad lag. It eats memory as well. I removed it after just an hour of use.
    Matty
    i have ultimate phone i love it
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
    Yes, my only complaint about UltimatePhone is the lag. It bothered me quite a bit at first.
    After trying other launchers, I came back to it because I like the way it looks and the simplicity of the UI. I am a long time Palm user since the day of the Pilot 1000. I used Initiate for 3 years, tried LauncherX, ZLauncher over the years, tried TreoLauncher last week.

One thing I like about UltimatePhone is how quick it is to dial a number or launch an app. I can dial my wife without looking at the phone while driving because she is the first on my Favorite list. Accessing the rest of the favorite list is pretty fast too: phone button,right scroll, middle 5-way button.

The way I see it, I get faster response from other launchers, but it take longer for me to do things, and I have to think more to do it, so in the end I pick UltimatePhone.

I am glad to read the complaint about the lags though. Perhaps it will persuade GX5 to improve the next release.
    I think I like Ultimate phone other then the slight lag. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I notice sometimes it goes back to the default phone app. Is there anyway to stop that from happening? I do have it checked to be the default phone app. thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast