Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    What good is having pTunes in ROM when an update just uses RAM? Can anyone confirm that 4.05 does NOT use the ROM file?
    Updates will always be in RAM.

Only way to write to ROM would be for a firmware update to reflash it. So if there is ever an update for Centro's ROM, presumably Palm could put the latest versions of software in there.

That's the trade-off with having stuff in ROM, no way around it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Updates will always be in RAM.

Only way to write to ROM would be for a firmware update to reflash it. So if there is ever an update for Centro's ROM, presumably Palm could put the latest versions of software in there.

That's the trade-off with having stuff in ROM, no way around it.
    Ok, thanks for confirming Malatesta. Glad the Centro has a decent amount of RAM. I haven't needed to run my apps from the microSD card yet, but good to know that I can free up RAm if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    Ok, thanks for confirming Malatesta. Glad the Centro has a decent amount of RAM. I haven't needed to run my apps from the microSD card yet, but good to know that I can free up RAm if needed.
    Yeah, I mean on one level it feels weird having basically two copies of a program on a device, but like you said there is plenty of RAM here. I installed all my apps and I'm still around 48mb free and that's with MP3 ringers in RAM too. So I can't see running out of space anytime soon, lol.

On initialization, doesn't a copy of the ROM-based applications get copied to RAM, and execute from there? If so, 4.0.5 would simply overwrite the 4.0.4 in RAM. I did notice that my RAM went from 40MB to 38 after the update.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    On initialization, doesn't a copy of the ROM-based applications get copied to RAM, and execute from there? If so, 4.0.5 would simply overwrite the 4.0.4 in RAM. I did notice that my RAM went from 40MB to 38 after the update.
    Good point, it might just have the nut-installer in RAM. I forgot what happens on an initial run on a clean device.

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I upgraded to 4.0.5 on my Centro and I show one copy in RAM (1.8M) and one in ROM (1.7M). I installed OTA and the Nutshell installer ran, and that was it. BTW, the Volume Boost is back and works in this version.
    another reason why they should not put things like that in ROM as now you just wasted some of your free ram to run a program that was initially in rom. should just increase the ram and give you the option of installing it in ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Good point, it might just have the nut-installer in RAM. I forgot what happens on an initial run on a clean device.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12