Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I also just purchased the application. I have used it for the phone number lookup capability extensively this last week and it has worked well all the way here in Paradise.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi View Post

i'm not sure why i haven't mentioned it yet, ...but the directory i'm using is google phonebook. i know the directory is relatively new, ..but i've always been impressed with google and i figured if they didn't already have the #1 phone directory, ..they would in a short amount of time. maybe that's why they don't push their phonebook feature very much (yet?). sorry if i made a poor choice on that. but, it may have been the only choice, ..as the other site's core business is DA, and they are very protective of their data. if you read their usage terms (i did on a couple), i don't think you could legally "scrape" from their site, so you would have to license their data (which is costly). i assume this is what telepages is going to do.

anyhoo, ...just google, "phonebook: name, location" for residential. the business directory is a different engine.
    Hmmm...that would explain why it doesn't work. I experimented with Google Phonebook directly in Google. It can't find my address unless I spell my first and last name exactly as it is shown in the phonebook and put in at least my state. It doesn't look like Google even has a feature to search on a phone number unless the first name and last name are included. Here are the rules according to Google.

Google has added the convenience of US street address and phone number lookup to the information we provide through our search box. You'll see publicly listed phone numbers and addresses at the top of results pages for searches that contain specific kinds of keywords.

To find listings for a US residence, type any of the following combinations into the Google search box:

* first name (or first initial), last name, city (state is optional)
    * first name (or first initial), last name, state
    * first name (or first initial), last name, area code
    * first name (or first initial), last name, zip code
    * phone number, including area code
    * last name, city, state
    * last name, zip code

It never works for me with just the first initial like it suggests. When I just use the first initial I get what looks like a typical search...not a phonebook entry.

It also doesn't work with just my last name and the zip code....or just my last name and the city and state.

It is pretty much a bust....much worse than other online phone books that I try. I attempted to look up about 10 names of friends with the typical information I would know....first, last and state (often don't know city.) It failed more than half the time unless I had the exact correct spelling of the first name as it is listed in the directory....sometimes even then it failed.

Looks like Google needs to do a lot of work if they want their phonebook to be useful and I would not be interested in an application that uses such an unreliable phonebook.
  3.    #123  
    i've been using google phonebook quite a bit (obviously), ..and that isn't my experience at all.

i can use just a first name, ..or just a last name in the query field.

i can use just a state, or even just a zipcode in the location field.

and *ANY* combination of the 2 lines above. for example, a search for "MyFirstName" and "MyZipcode" finds me just fine.

what google does NOT have (in my experience) is a fuzzy search. so, you can't use an initial, ..or if there is an apostrophe in the name, ..don't leave it out. spelling errors are bad obviously.
    I can't think of anything I might be doing wrong. I'll email you three examples, myself and two friends. Let me know if you have better luck than I did.

P.S. I realized my previous posting came across as a bit terse or rude. I do appreciate your efforts.
    Last edited by Disaster; 12/04/2007 at 10:04 AM.
  5.    #125  
    hey everyone,
    just wanted to let you all know i'm covered up working some other tasks (not to mention xmas is knocking at the door), ..but i should get some time over the holidays to update x411. expect a free upgrade within 2~3 weeks.
    thanks,
    scott
    Thanks from a very happy 411 customer. Its working very well for me so far!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567