Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    OK, speaking of restless, how far are we from being able to purchase the final version?
    After all, some of us are waving torches and dollar bills!

A couple other things I noticed:
    • When a field is selected, typing inserts characters rather than replacing the text as (at least I) expected. This makes a bit of a pain to enter new searches.
    • Quick reiteration of my vote for autocomplete.
    • The use of the five-way, while ingenious (up/down always moves the list of results; left-right always moves the selected item) works better when the search list is shown than the default when only a single item is displayed. For example, using left/right to move between the "Name", "Search", and the bottom buttons is a bit odd. I'd recommend moving as the five-way would indicated, but only when the result is selected, then move through the results using left/right. Just my suggestion.

Even without any of this, I've already found this quite useful - just last night I was able to look up a bunch of phone numbers while out looking for some groceries (finding them at 3am after Thanksgiving is rather hard!). Worked like a charm. Thanks!
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    OK, speaking of restless, how far are we from being able to purchase the final version?
    i just posted the release version on my website. $9.95 USD.

http://www.moxsi.com/x411Purchase.html

special thanks to all that helped BETA test. i do plan on adding a few more features which will, of course, be free upgrades.

lastly [rare soap box moment], i know that many are holding out for rick's DA to be released. some because it was one of the most valuable pieces of treo software, ...others simply because it is FREEWARE. i received several emails almost demanding i make x411 freeware b/c DA is/was freeware. i just want to encourage you all, ..if you do find rick's DA software useful, ...please donate to him. i know he's working on an indirect revenue model, ..but even so, it's a lot of hard work to write good palmOS software. support your palm developers! [ok, stepping off soap box].

thanks,
    scott
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi View Post
    i just posted the release version on my website. $9.95 USD.

http://www.moxsi.com/x411Purchase.html

special thanks to all that helped BETA test. i do plan on adding a few more features which will, of course, be free upgrades.

lastly [rare soap box moment], i know that many are holding out for rick's DA to be released. some because it was one of the most valuable pieces of treo software, ...others simply because it is FREEWARE. i received several emails almost demanding i make x411 freeware b/c DA is/was freeware. i just want to encourage you all, ..if you do find rick's DA software useful, ...please donate to him. i know he's working on an indirect revenue model, ..but even so, it's a lot of hard work to write good palmOS software. support your palm developers! [ok, stepping off soap box].

thanks,
    scott
    Scott,

I agree, I have very few free software programs. I have always tried to donate to the developer or purchase the software. If the software is of value to me, then I feel the person's time who developed it is valuable as well. I don't instantly purchase, or donate. I certainly want to use it for awhile to determine if it fits my needs or if I will use it enough to be worth purchasing.

Thanks for the good work,
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi View Post
    I received several emails almost demanding i make x411 freeware b/c DA is/was freeware. i just want to encourage you all, ..if you do find rick's DA software useful, ...please donate to him. i know he's working on an indirect revenue model, ..but even so, it's a lot of hard work to write good palmOS software. support your palm developers
    Then I guess those people don't really need your software. As a former shareware author myself, you better believe I support those who write great, useful software for mere pennies like this.

Thanks for stepping up and filling a need! I've bought two copies (myself and my wife), and I'll still watch to see what happens with Rick and TelePages.

Oh, and a couple notes - the screenshot on the x411 page is still showing xWeather, and the download pages says this is being released on 12/26, not 11/26. Details, details.
    Last edited by diamondsw; 11/28/2007 at 08:54 AM.
    SOLD. It's a no brainer to buy this nice app for $10.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I too will be waiting for Rick's DA. I am finding business searches are not always complete for example today I did a search for Big O Tires and the store two miles from me was not listed. The residential searched limited to the first 30 hits is another limit. Search results not including the ZIP code. Yes I wait to see what Rick has done.
  7.    #107  
    thanks everyone for the support and your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post
    Oh, and a couple notes - the screenshot on the x411 page is still showing xWeather, and the download pages says this is being released on 12/26, not 11/26. Details, details.
    yes, thanks. i had a partner and good friend that would handle the website, ..but he's busy developing websites (and i don't blame him, he makes more money in one weekend than we ever have with palmOS shareware). so, anyway, i spent a good two nights updating the website and learning CSS, ...but in doing so, i haven't slept much (until last night). so, i was sure i missed a few. i'll fix those tonight. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by resturg View Post
    I too will be waiting for Rick's DA. I am finding business searches are not always complete for example today I did a search for Big O Tires and the store two miles from me was not listed. The residential searched limited to the first 30 hits is another limit. Search results not including the ZIP code. Yes I wait to see what Rick has done.
    that's great resturg. my point was to donate to rick if you find his program useful. i don't expect anyone to buy my application if you don't find it useful and/or inadequate.
    I just paid. If anything I prefer pament via a clear fee at the front rather than backchannel revenue streams.

So if this is to be an alternative to DA, it is important though that the development continues. Can you tell us what are your next to do items?

I would like to second the vote for an option to get more than 30 hits, and more importantly, are you thinking about inerfacing with another directory engine? For example I personally opted of the Google directory years ago, but I would like to be able to come up in a directory search. Any intentions along this line?
    First let me say that Scott (moxsi) makes a great weather app (xWeather) which has extensive features (the archiving of cities and choice of data sources is very appealing to me). I use 4cast as a plugin on 2day for hourly updates. So yes I've paid for both and use both.

Several people have referred to having opted out of the Google Directory. Where and how does this happen?

As I've pointed out in a previous post my 96 year old mother never opted out of anything, and she doesn't appear as a listing on x411 (google directory). But her listing appears on SupperPages.com and it did with DA.

I just don't understand.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I will be trying both, since different sources may have different data bases. I have paid for x411, and will try DA when it comes out. I have done just enough programming in my years to fully appreciate making something work for most people
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    I'll definitely be purchasing. I can't be waiting for DA to come out. Plus what's an extra $10 out of your pocket especially with a program that's very useful. Even if DA is free, lots of people are going to be donating. So it really turns out to be the same.

Other than paying $10 for initial setup, I just hope that ALL upgrades from now on are free. Thanks for the nice program.
    TurboTiger:

Article on the subject.
    And the opt out page can be found here.
    I just downloaded it, and while it works fine, the one feature I truly miss, is looking up the neighbors. Any plans to implement that?
    DA allowed for entering your address, then clicking 'neighbors' to see who lived on your street. This is also a valuable tool for salespersons, etc.

Just a thought,
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    TurboTiger:

Article on the subject.
    And the opt out page can be found here.
    Tks for the info cavingjan,

Perhaps my 96 year old mother jumped on my laptop or Treo when I wasn't looking, and opted out. She thinks my latop is a TV, since she's amazed at the pix displayed when the screen saver is on.

Tks again
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I have a problem trying to add my registration code to the latest beta version of x411. I don't see any box to click on for adding my reg code. The only way I can add the reg code is to install the original version of x411, and then I see a box to add a reg code. Is there a way I can install the latest version, and add my registration code at the same time? Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I have a problem trying to add my registration code to the latest beta version of x411. I don't see any box to click on for adding my reg code. The only way I can add the reg code is to install the original version of x411, and then I see a box to add a reg code. Is there a way I can install the latest version, and add my registration code at the same time? Thanks, Casey.
    The latest version is 1.0. As far as I know, it's out of beta now.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisl View Post
    So if this is to be an alternative to DA, it is important though that the development continues. Can you tell us what are your next to do items?
    yes, the next item on the todo list is location history. not sure if i'm going to go with a drop down list (easy) or auto-complete (harder) yet. does it make sense to do the same with the search query ?

Quote Originally Posted by dennisl View Post
    I would like to second the vote for an option to get more than 30 hits, and more importantly, are you thinking about inerfacing with another directory engine? For example I personally opted of the Google directory years ago, but I would like to be able to come up in a directory search. Any intentions along this line?
    i was thinking about having the user specify max hits in prefs. i'm not sure about interfacing with another directory yet. i'm going to wait on that one for now.

Quote Originally Posted by enilm View Post
    Other than paying $10 for initial setup, I just hope that ALL upgrades from now on are free. Thanks for the nice program.
    i've reserved the right to charge an upgrade if this app ever makes it to 2.x.x (next major version). i honestly can't see it ever making it there. it would require a significant feature enhancement. i think it's safe to say you won't ever pay an upgrade fee. for reference, look where xWeather is now compared to version 1.0.0 (i added yahoo weather, customization of radar/sat images, added additional 4 images tab if desired, major profile manager improvements (to include archiving, user defined profile order, etc), and lots more, ..and i never bumped it to 2.x.x (so all were free upgrades).

Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    I just downloaded it, and while it works fine, the one feature I truly miss, is looking up the neighbors. Any plans to implement that?
    DA allowed for entering your address, then clicking 'neighbors' to see who lived on your street. This is also a valuable tool for salespersons, etc
    unfortunately, google doesn't support that search query yet. maybe in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    you can't register a BETA. they are designed to expire. the latest release version is 1.0.0. you can register that version by following the instructions in the registration email.

...and thank you casey for registering!!

lastly, i had a problem with paypal (partly my fault). if you tried to register anytime from yesterday at ~6pm to this morning around ~9:30am, ..it might have failed. if it failed, i believe it is fixed now, so please try again. if you registered during that time and it didn't fail... please email me at scott@moxsi.com. thanks!
    I searched this thread for references to "map" but didn't find my problem.

When I tried to map a location, I am getting the old version of google maps on my Treo 755p. I installed the new version over-the-air.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevewaterman View Post
    When I tried to map a location, I am getting the old version of google maps on my Treo 755p. I installed the new version over-the-air.
    hmm, ...i'll look into this. i think i know what might be happening.
    Thanks for the clarification about entering the reg code. I was confused. I like this app... simple, quick, and does the job.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast