Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    When doing a business search the zip code is still missing.... This is needed if you added the contact to the address book and then want to map it with google map.

for me this is still a no-go
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    what did this update change...
    not too much actually. i had disabled something while debugging v0.0.5b and forgot to re-enable it, so i did that. i took off the static references to "BETA", added some google credits and copyrights, and moved it to a release candidate (RC). ...which, btw, is why the trial shortened. i forgot i had the RC set to 15 days until you mentioned it.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock View Post
    When doing a business search the zip code is still missing.... This is needed if you added the contact to the address book and then want to map it with google map.

for me this is still a no-go
    yes, i know the zipcode is still missing. i've tried a few things, but no luck so far.

fyi, i have not had any problems using the google "map" function w/o a zipcode (from contacts). from my (limited) experience, ...if you have the address, zipcode isn't really needed to map.
  4.    #84  
    ....and since i'm an insomniac, ...2 releases in 1 night.

x411 Directory Assistant
    Version 0.0.7b BETA

Download:
    http://www.moxsi.com/x411[0.0.7b].zip

Instant Download to your Treo or Centro:
    http://getx411.moxsi.com

updates:
    - Google Map Integration

...and now i'll try and go back to sleep...
    Starting to become a nice little app.... one request, can u add one more format? the Dash format 555-555-5555, all my (and probably others) are in this format, so when I add a contact, I haveto go afterwords and change it, this would really help.
    Thanks
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Starting to become a nice little app.... one request, can u add one more format? the Dash format 555-555-5555, all my (and probably others) are in this format, so when I add a contact, I haveto go afterwords and change it, this would really help.
    Thanks
    not a problem.
    When I search for "Smith" in my town, I only get one page of results...only 30 names. The results come back in alphabetical order and stop at G Smith. Is that intended or is there some setting I'm missing?
    Treo 650 Verizon
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    When I search for "Smith" in my town, I only get one page of results...only 30 names. The results come back in alphabetical order and stop at G Smith. Is that intended or is there some setting I'm missing?
    that is intended (max of 30 results for residential search).
    Wow, excellent program! One feature request relates to something that drove me bonkers in Directory Assistant for years - saving and autocompleting strings.

I live in the Chicago area, so I end up entering a lot of different suburbs frequently (Chicago itself, Naperville, Evanston, etc). It would be GREAT if we could have both a drop down of recently used locations, and autocomplete of those locations. No setting up special strings; just remember them as they're used (and allow clearing, of course). It would save me a huge amount of typing. Likewise, it would be useful to have autocomplete for the Search field, but not as critical as location. I'd say 90% of my searches are for the same three or four locations.

Any hope of that? I'm ready to send you $10 right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by moxsi View Post
    that is intended (max of 30 results for residential search).
    While I can sort of see the reasoning, shouldn't this be up to the user? If they want to go through page after page of results, it seems to be their choice. Perhaps only load 30 at a time, but load more chunks as needed?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Reverse lookup would be extremely useful as I like to know who is calling my cell before answering....
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post
    Wow, excellent program! One feature request relates to something that drove me bonkers in Directory Assistant for years - saving and autocompleting strings.

I live in the Chicago area, so I end up entering a lot of different suburbs frequently (Chicago itself, Naperville, Evanston, etc). It would be GREAT if we could have both a drop down of recently used locations, and autocomplete of those locations. No setting up special strings; just remember them as they're used (and allow clearing, of course). It would save me a huge amount of typing. Likewise, it would be useful to have autocomplete for the Search field, but not as critical as location. I'd say 90% of my searches are for the same three or four locations.

Any hope of that? I'm ready to send you $10 right now!
    Yeah, I second the request for auto-complete. Most of my searches are in the same one or two towns I live in/near.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Scott, as you consider adding all this stuff, please stay focused on the size of the app and the clutter. It's great now. But as you keep adding, I am concerned that it not get too bloated - both for memory and the interface.

I use ZL on a treo 650 and as you know, that beast has limited memory. x411 requires Google maps to be 'in memory' and won't launch the ZL shortcut. So that adds more memory.

Works well so far. Very nice. Thanks for stepping in. I hope this works out well for you. We all need an app like this. Using a browser to search is the pits. It mystifies me why no carrier bundles this functionality. Yes, yes I know, 411 is probably a huge money-maker for them at a buck a pop, but it's a gol-darned buggy whip if you ask me. Doomed to obsolescence.

Jim
    So now I will sound like a bozo as I request a feature that would certainly bloat the app - - voice search. (OF course it could be a different product).

One thing I LOVE about the Treo is the that I have my entire address book activated for voice dial. Works great for me.

Imagine voice SEARCH using x411.! Enforce a syntax like -

(push button)
    Treo: "Search for what?"
    me: "John Smith in Podunk, Minnesota

or

(push button)
    Treo: "Search for what?"
    me: "Peter Pokhalshrce in Fargo, ND
    Trreo: "Please spell the name"
    me: " P E T E R ......" etc

Just a dream.

Jim
    updates:
    - Google Map Integration
    Ah, the sweet song of that one last feature that keeps one awake. No, you're not the only insomniac out there... heheh But we definitely appreciate it!

I was just showing this kewl app to someone in the office yesterday and commented on how I missed the DA feature to send addresses to Gmap... :-) 'course, I was still on .4. Imagine my glee when I saw this! Well, maybe you can't imagine... but trust me, I squeeeed with delight. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cioffij View Post
    Scott, as you consider adding all this stuff, please stay focused on the size of the app and the clutter. It's great now. But as you keep adding, I am concerned that it not get too bloated - both for memory and the interface.

I use ZL on a treo 650 and as you know, that beast has limited memory. x411 requires Google maps to be 'in memory' and won't launch the ZL shortcut. So that adds more memory.

Works well so far. Very nice. Thanks for stepping in. I hope this works out well for you. We all need an app like this. Using a browser to search is the pits. It mystifies me why no carrier bundles this functionality. Yes, yes I know, 411 is probably a huge money-maker for them at a buck a pop, but it's a gol-darned buggy whip if you ask me. Doomed to obsolescence.

Jim
    If you're suggesting he can do something about having to have Google Maps in ram, there's nothing he can do.. If you have space limitations, you can't use the Google Maps integration I suppose.
    I like this app. A very cool surprise that I haven't seen in DA or other apps like this is the ability to search by County. I Business-Searched for "fireplace" in "DuPage County" and got results from applicable businesses in my town as well as neighboring towns. Maybe I got lucky considering there are probably more then one DuPage County but it seemed to work for that search.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    I have good news and bad news. The change to allow the use of a proxy server works fine on the economy version of T-mobile Internet. However, Google maps doesn't seem to work with it. Google Maps stopped working on T-mobile economy Internet right about May this year. I found this posting on the Google website. It was posted in May this year.

"yea, recently T-Mobile closed the port 80 for customers that aren't on
    the full Internet plan. that's the default port used by java apps
    trying to access the Internet (gmail, gmaps, some games, news
    aggregators, etc). so unless you can change the network settings on
    your phone (proxy settings to get around the port 80 issue are
    available at various forums like howardforums.com) you're pretty much
    s.o.l."

The poster seems to be right about the SOL part but I am not sure that it is a port 80 problem since that was closed much earlier and Google maps used to work just fine on port 8080 before.

Anyway, what I am saying is that your software would be more useful if we had the option to connect to some other mapping service, like Mapquest. If I remember correctly, the earlier version of your software did have this option.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If you're suggesting he can do something about having to have Google Maps in ram, there's nothing he can do.. If you have space limitations, you can't use the Google Maps integration I suppose.
    to my knowledge, khaytsus is correct. i could, like a launcher program, move google maps to RAM, then launch it, ...but i'm unaware of how to clean up once google maps is complete (delete from RAM).

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo View Post
    I like this app. A very cool surprise that I haven't seen in DA or other apps like this is the ability to search by County. I Business-Searched for "fireplace" in "DuPage County" and got results from applicable businesses in my town as well as neighboring towns. Maybe I got lucky considering there are probably more then one DuPage County but it seemed to work for that search.
    ahh, the power of google search. you could probably specify county and state. you can also specify zipcode.

Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes View Post
    I have good news and bad news. The change to allow the use of a proxy server works fine on the economy version of T-mobile Internet. However, Google maps doesn't seem to work with it. ....<snip>... Anyway, what I am saying is that your software would be more useful if we had the option to connect to some other mapping service, like Mapquest. If I remember correctly, the earlier version of your software did have this option.
    i'll consider that. and, btw, i think you're confusing my app with rick's beloved DA app. i only released my app b/c the DA app has been broken for awhile and the townspeople were restless and starting to gather in large groups with pitchforks and torches.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

i only released my app b/c the DA app has been broken for awhile and the townspeople were restless and starting to gather in large groups with pitchforks and torches.
    OK, speaking of restless, how far are we from being able to purchase the final version?
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast