1.    #1  
    So it was released today. I had tried 4 beta and it was locking up my 700P. So far, the final version is looking real good and stable for me so far.

http://mini.opera.com
    So far so good on my 680, too. The last beta would hang on loading the app after using it, quitting, and then going back. So far that hasn't happened. MUCH nicer browsing than using Blazer.

Edit: Oop, I just had a reset while browsing. So it isn't going to be perfect.
    Anyone having trouble downloading "ibm websphere micro environment" (ie. JVM.zip) from Palm?
    I just downloaded the app today and have used it about 6 times today on my Treo 680. Thus far, it seems to work well. At first I did not think it had installed on the device as I did not see it. This version overwrites your previous version 3, whereas the beta versions were separate programs from verson 3.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Anyone using this on a Centro?
    I would if only I could download the necessary jvm.zip the java environment from Palm. The download died every time when it got to exactly 8.8 MB out of 11.9 MB. I have tried 3 Firefox, Opera, IE. and the same thing happened.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Does Opera Mini 4 still take utterly ages to load up? I used it on my 680, but it just took too damn long to load up .
    I have 3 and 4 installed on my 755p. 4 definitely takes longer...but renders pages more accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    So it was released today. I had tried 4 beta and it was locking up my 700P. So far, the final version is looking real good and stable for me so far.

http://mini.opera.com
    I got excited when I saw this because I have been using Opera 4 beta for some time and it is slowwww and a bit buggy. Installed per website and it gave me Opera 3. Now I have 3 and beta 4 both installed. This is possibly a newer version, of 3, than I used before, but still 3. 3 does not render pages as well as 4. It doesn't have the same pan and zoom feature either. Did you check the version number on your Palm? P.S. I used the direct phone install method.

Woops...never mind. For some silly reason, when it takes you to the download page it has Opera 3 as the first selection. I didn't notice the version number and just installed it. If you scroll down you will see Opera 4 available (but if you don't notice the incorrect version number you are likely not going to realize you can scroll down or bother.)
    Last edited by Disaster; 11/08/2007 at 03:44 PM.
    I had no clue about this app! But I sure do love the idea of it, Yes I can see the beta version locking your treo up.
    v.4 is nice but takes awhile to load. That's not an issue as much as the constant resets. It seems as though once the cache fills, it just resets. Views pics great...way better than Blazer! But I cannot log onto some sites, so it won't (cant) replace Blazer!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    The biggest advantage Opera had over Blazer was speed. That's shot to hell.
    I am running opera 4 and love it. I like being able to zoom-in on areas of the page, and I like the tounch screen scrolling. Works just fine on my centro and pages / images seem to load faster than Blazer. The app itself is somewhat slow, but I don't really care once I am in the webpage I intended to be in.

Anyway... I like it so far. That being said, all I have ever used is Blazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasopoliS View Post
    I am running opera 4 and love it. I like being able to zoom-in on areas of the page, and I like the tounch screen scrolling. Works just fine on my centro and pages / images seem to load faster than Blazer. The app itself is somewhat slow, but I don't really care once I am in the webpage I intended to be in.

Anyway... I like it so far. That being said, all I have ever used is Blazer.
    Yes, the app loads slow initially but renders pages faster tha Blazer once its going. Opera is 'Blazing' fast (couldnt resist) , but its noticeably faster when loading picture-heavy websites when compared to Blazer.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Opera is cool, but the fact that it's not native basically makes it unusable as far as I'm concerned. Most of my browsing is done when I get an email telling me there's been a new post somewhere, and given that each time I received an email I'd have to copy the link, and then exit Chatter and then load Opera, well... That's just too slow for me, really. While it is faster, it just takes too long to load up, and doesn't hook into the Palm OS as the native browser. I also dislike the way it handles text and passwords, but that's a Java issue, and not too terribly important.

I'd be interested if it was possible to make an application that was essentially a wrapper for Opera Mini, so that it could actually act like the default browser if you wanted? I'm thinking of an application that makes the vaarious calls needed to register itself, but that when opened merely transfers control to Opera Mini, passing along anything important.