Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have tried to make several calls this morning and answer several and I can't hear anyone...no dialtone, no voices, etc. Has anyone else had this problem? No 3rd party apps, call volume doesn't make a difference. The speaker phone doesn't seem to work either. This is extremely frustrating! BTW, I was in a full service area and doing a reset didn't help. Phone is a week old.
    Last edited by bmrisko; 11/07/2007 at 12:07 PM.
    My girlfriend had a similar problem after using a 3rd party earpiece on her phone. If you've used something similar, try plugging in the earpiece that came with your phone and unplugging it again.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    My girlfriend had a similar problem after using a 3rd party earpiece on her phone. If you've used something similar, try plugging in the earpiece that came with your phone and unplugging it again.
    I'm not using a plug-in or BT ear piece...I meant the actual part of the phone where my ear goes. I'm not sure what the technical name for that part of the phone is...I guess you would call it the receiver on the actual TREO. Basically, I can't hear anyone through the actual phone or speaker phone.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    this happened to me. the internal and external speakers would not work for the phone, but strangely, the system sounds would work. The solution for me was a phone replacement.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    this happened to me. the internal and external speakers would not work for the phone, but strangely, the system sounds would work. The solution for me was a phone replacement.
    I was afraid that was the case. Just making sure there wasn't some weird mute setting that may have been turned on before I head to the Sprint store. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Your headphone jack is probably bad. It's a problem with the treos that render them useless. Volume Care, a third party app, had a feature you can enable for $5 that is a software work-a-round to restore functionality to your phone. I'd go for the warranty replacement myself since the phone is new!
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Well it started working on the way home from work today. I'm still going to stop by the Sprint store tomorrow and inquire about a replacement. They should do a straight up swap fro a new unit, correct, not some warranty replacement refurb...? Can they easily swap over all my contacts, games and appointments?
    i had that happen to my phone in the past. The phone thinks a headset is plugged in and therefore mutes the earpiece. I was able to get mine to work by sticking a jack in the hole and pulling it out slowly.
    Use NVbackup to copy it all to a SD chip and then copy it back. Works great!

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Just to save myself some possible hassle...will I need an RMA to swap this phone at a store or can I just walk into a Sprint Store that has a repair center? I don't want to go there and wait around to have them tell me, oh you have to call to get an RMA or mail this back. In reality they should be able to take a new unit from the back, swap over my contacts and send me on my way.

Anyone swapped a phone for the same model in store before?
    the prob is the jack. take this opportunity to get a new phone. if you pay the $7/month insurance, they should swap you out with a refurb, or a new in box phone if they have no refurbs in the store.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    the prob is the jack. take this opportunity to get a new phone. if you pay the $7/month insurance, they should swap you out with a refurb, or a new in box phone if they have no refurbs in the store.
    Wait, so I have to go from a new week old phone to a refurb? Shouldn't they exchange it straight up for a new unit? Yes, I have the $7 ETF as well, but it is still under my initial 30 days as well as the Palm warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    Not my experience.

I had this same issue happen to me (spontaneous earpiece death).

First action: should be to find a headset jack, fully plug and unplug it a few times to see if that gets the earpiece sound back. (if it comes back but then goes away again later take it in). The 650's were notorious for defective jacks, but Palm claimed to have fixed the issue (though it still crops up).

Second action: FULLY backup your device, then do a hard reset. After the phone comes back up, try making a phone call (to someone nearby that knows you are testing your phone) and see if it's functioning properly now. If so, you've likely got a third-party app problem. If not, head to the nearest Sprint store with a "technician," get the phone into their hands and make them know that you've done a HARD reset and still have a non-functional earpiece.

*SOME* stores will find a way to swap you out with a functioning replacement phone while you are there. BUT - my experience (several times over the years) is that "IF" they don't have a phone coded for ESRP/Insurance replacement in the store - you will be going completely without a phone for the 3-5 days it takes to get you a replacement phone via Pony Express from their hub.

The unofficial process to continue having a cell phone while the ESRP snails do their "magic" is to buy a brand new Treo off the shelf, activate it, then "return" it 3-5 days later when your official ESRP replacement finally makes it to the store. (Make sure that the rep doesn't screw up and log your purchased temp phone in as an "exchange" otherwise you'll have a merry old time rectifying that).

The store will then ironically THEN have a refurbished phone "in stock," but Sprint (and probably other carriers) have absolutely no provision in place right now for keeping a working phone in your hand while they screw around getting your phone replaced. And, expensive phones like Treos are even LESS likely to be stocked in the stores, furthering the chances you'll be using a paper cup and string to communicate for a few days.

Sometimes you'll get lucky and find store staff that can work outside the rules to hand you a "new" phone off their shelves immediately - but just know they are "supposed" to make you wait 3-5 days and come back for an "official" refurb unit.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
    I'm not using a plug-in or BT ear piece...I meant the actual part of the phone where my ear goes. I'm not sure what the technical name for that part of the phone is...I guess you would call it the receiver on the actual TREO. Basically, I can't hear anyone through the actual phone or speaker phone.
    Understood - my GF's phone had the same issue after using a 3rd party headset, plugged into the earphone jack. Hard reset solved the problem,
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Joad, thanks for the detailed explanation. I stopped by the major Sprint Store here in town and the manager wouldn't even give me the time of day as far as swapping phones. She said I HAD to go through Telesales and I inquired about the 30 day, return to a store policy and she said they don't do that. I then had to get me $.02 in about their "customer comes first" slogan. Nevermind that I'm a project manager and its very frustrating to be without a phone for a day, let along 5+. I was under the impression Sprint would let you use a phone as a "loaner" while yours was being fixed? While you wait phones or something like that. Guess I better call up Telesales today and see what they can do for me. Hopefully they can approve me for an in-store swap.