Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont know what the deal is with this phone and Palm's manufacturing process and quality control.

1st Centro -I picked up the Centro the other day. Immediately after getting in my car and playing with it I noticed the screen had a purple tint to it. So I went back to the store and swapped it out.

2nd Centro - The 2nd phone I got seemed good, but I started noticing a high pitched noise that would come out of the earpiece while on a call. It didnt happen on every call, or all the time - but it was annoying.

3rd Centro - The 5-way on this phone was messed up. The down button was mushy and didnt click very strong like up, left and right did.

4th Centro - The damn screen is crooked in the case!

This is ridiculous. I really like this phone too, but Im not going to settle for these defects.

Back to my perfectly working 755p.
    Some folks have all the luck.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Wow

And to think I am still on my first one since Oct 15th.

Let's see......

No purpley tint: check
    No strange noises: check
    No crooked screen: check
    No mushy keys or 5way: check
    No disappearing micro card: check
    No "LAG": check
    No freezes: check
    No spontaneous crashes: check

Ok, I decided, I got cheated, or my Centro likes me.......

I have a slight lag while texting or dialing. I'd type fast and it would stop and then type out everything in a few seconds.
    diane
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    I dont know what the deal is with this phone and Palm's manufacturing process and quality control.

1st Centro -I picked up the Centro the other day. Immediately after getting in my car and playing with it I noticed the screen had a purple tint to it. So I went back to the store and swapped it out.

2nd Centro - The 2nd phone I got seemed good, but I started noticing a high pitched noise that would come out of the earpiece while on a call. It didnt happen on every call, or all the time - but it was annoying.

3rd Centro - The 5-way on this phone was messed up. The down button was mushy and didnt click very strong like up, left and right did.

4th Centro - The damn screen is crooked in the case!

This is ridiculous. I really like this phone too, but Im not going to settle for these defects.

Back to my perfectly working 755p.
    Well I've read about the crooked screen in some cases but not about the other issues you had. Man, what a bad experience.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    I have a slight lag while texting or dialing. I'd type fast and it would stop and then type out everything in a few seconds.
    Omg my Q used to do that and it would drive me CRAZY! My centro doesn't seem to have any problems, which makes me love it even more.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Lag--got it, deal with it, nothing compared to the lag I had on my mogul.
    Purple tint----got it, switched my backgrounds to dark colors, cant tell.
    Crooked screen---got it, this one is driving me nuts cuz its ever so subtle but its there, damned be all you who had to tell me about that.
    Mushy button--- Down and Right and Home.
    High pitched noise--- got it. only happens when talking to cingular or t-mobile users so I'm chalking that one up to being a GSM problem, not mine.
    Frog in the battery cover--- stuck a piece of paper in there and shut it up.
    Bad battery life---got a car charger and I'm waiting on Seidio to come out with a battery.
    For some reason as picky as I am about my phones none of those problems really make it a deal breaker for me. I'm more pissed about the fact that only OEM palm headphones will play in stereo unless you get an adapter.....which causes me to wonder why a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter will work, but 6 different kinds of 2.5mm headphones wont work (spent a long afternoon t the sprint store yesterday)..... and if the sprint rep I talked to wasnt BS'ing me and that is Palms SOP, then why weren't headphones included in the box? Like every other music phone released.... or at least made available at the sprint store?
    I thought I was just going crazy and being picky about the screen. I thought it looked crooked. Guess I am taking it back today...for another CENTRO of course
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    OOOOOOO.....get a red one!
    Geez that stinks. I'd just keep sending them back I guess, at some point, maybe the next one you get would have to be from the newer production line. I feel your pain but I wouldn't go backwards to a 755. I think they realize they're defective so its nothing on you but your wasted time.
    Ajk, that is a lot considering how picky you normally are like most of us here probably, expecting to get what we've been following for some time, without the manufacturing defects. Why don't you get another?
    I got my 1st problem today, but no big. I was on the Main screen, and I hit the e-mail icon to get a reset out of it. I tried it again, and I got through.

I don't mind the once in a blue moon brain fart from Palm lol.

I had the once in a blue moon reset that I couldn't repeat. That kind of thing I expect once in awhile.

I'm hoping with that battery cover clicking, it means a larger battery will fit in there and fill up the gap that a small foam pad takes care of at the moment.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Wow

And to think I am still on my first one since Oct 15th.

Let's see......

No purpley tint: check
    No strange noises: check
    No crooked screen: check
    No mushy keys or 5way: check
    No disappearing micro card: check
    No "LAG": check
    No freezes: check
    No spontaneous crashes: check

Ok, I decided, I got cheated, or my Centro likes me.......
    None of these problems for me either. Hands down the best palm I have owned and I think the smallest and best smartphone out there. When I saw the pictures I hated it but after holding it and then going back to my brick 700 I had to have it. I got my wife the red one.

I'm hoping with that battery cover clicking, it means a larger battery will fit in there and fill up the gap that a small foam pad takes care of at the moment.

I fixed the battery cover creaking with three layers of scotch tape on the rounded edges. It is rock solid now. I had to do this with the 700 too.
  16. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Yeah, I noticed the crooked screen on my first Centro as well; got it exchanged. The second one is better (less crooked, but still slightly off).

Damn all of you who noticed that, cause I was very happy with my first one until I read this thread
    I've looked very carefully at the screen of my centro, and I cannot see ANY evidence of a crooked screen. I am curious what it looks like. Is there a picture of the defect posted anywhere?
    I fixed my squeaking by giving the back cover a light dusting of baby power, especially the edges. I shake all the powder off so there is nothing loose. Just want enough to fill the pores in the plastic. The pores act as a dry lubricant and make all the squeaking go away.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Ajk, that is a lot considering how picky you normally are like most of us here probably, expecting to get what we've been following for some time, without the manufacturing defects. Why don't you get another?
    Because my sprint store sucks, getting them to admit there is a problem with this one would be like pulling teeth. I e-mailed ecare, we'll see if they want me to send this one back. But it is kind of awkward that im not upset about my phone, lol. It's almost as if i didnt expect it to be perfect anyways, so I wasn't really let down.
    I think its best to simply go in there and tell them you need to exchange it. Its not like its one little thing, you have a fairly long laundry list and if they give you any um lip I'm sure it will just give you a better reason to exchange it. If you mention exchange rather than defective it might sound better. I looked fairly closely at my screen, I'm still setting it up and haven't removed the Palm scrn. prt. yet and I think it looks fine. I hope to get the scrn. protectors in the mail tomorrow. You might be able to take to a service center rather than a store as another option. They will know right away what's wrong and you might be able to get a new one right there while you wait.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast