1.    #1  
    In order to conserve the battery life on my new centro, I have been trying to setup Chattermail to sync only when I get an SMS (so called "pseudo-push). I got to the point where I am getting all my emails being forwarded to my phone in the form of SMS. However, it does not trigger Chatter to sync.

In the chatter mail preferences, there is a blank field right next to SMS check-box. Should it contain anything (I think thats where my problem is ) ?

Can someone please help.

Thanks
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    According to the Chatteremail manual it says the following:

SMS - Indicates that Chatter should automatically QSync
    this Mailbox if an SMS is received containing the entered
    text. The text is NOT case-sensitive (e.g. “trigger” is
    same as “TRIGGER” or “Trigger”).

and

Use SMS-triggered “QuickSync”, whereby an incoming SMS message triggers a QuickSync for one or more Mailboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by hvshah69 View Post
    In order to conserve the battery life on my new centro, I have been trying to setup Chattermail to sync only when I get an SMS (so called "pseudo-push). I got to the point where I am getting all my emails being forwarded to my phone in the form of SMS. However, it does not trigger Chatter to sync.

In the chatter mail preferences, there is a blank field right next to SMS check-box. Should it contain anything (I think thats where my problem is ) ?

Can someone please help.

Thanks
    You don't want to actually FORWARD your e-mails to the phone via SMS. What you want to set up on your e-mail provider's configuration is a notice of new e-mail to be sent via SMS. This will vary depending on the provider.

Instead of forwarding the actual e-mail, your e-mail provider will send a notification text message indicating that you have new e-mail. This text message should always have the same subject, so you can key on the subject. (But as I said, this will vary depending on the e-mail provider.)

If you simply forward your e-mail via SMS, then what would you tell Chatter to look for? The e-mail subject? Something in the body of the e-mail? There is no way to predict that.

Bottom line: Unless your e-mail provider provides a way to get SMS notifications for new e-mail, you can't use the SMS push feature in ChatterEmail.

WARNING: If you turn on this feature in ChatterEmail and don't put anything for Chatter to key on, you may not get ANY text messages. This is because ChatterEmail would normally delete the text message that it interprets as a trigger to sync your e-mail. (This might have been fixed since I last used ChatterEmail...not sure...but it is something to look out for.) Be sure that whatever text you use as a trigger is not something generic that will apply to just any text message, or you won't get text messages from your friends.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 11/05/2007 at 11:35 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    If you simply forward your e-mail via SMS, then what would you tell Chatter to look for? The e-mail subject? Something in the body of the e-mail? There is no way to predict that.
    Actually, you use your email address (from the account being forwarded) as the SMS Trigger for Chatter.

I've had my entire email forwarded to Sprint and use my whole email address, or even just "@" and that is enough for it to trigger Chatter.

So I would recommend using:

• @
    • username
    • username@provider.com

Any one of those should work for the trigger. That way you'll get every email and not have to worry about predicting what is in the Subject line, which is totally random.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Actually, you use your email address (from the account being forwarded) as the SMS Trigger for Chatter.

I've had my entire email forwarded to Sprint and use my whole email address, or even just "@" and that is enough for it to trigger Chatter.

So I would recommend using:

• @
    • username
    • username@provider.com

Any one of those should work for the trigger. That way you'll get every email and not have to worry about predicting what is in the Subject line, which is totally random.

Thanks Malatesta. That works like a charm

Thanks everyone else for making suggestions.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    It didnt work for me. All I get is the SMS text but it doesnt cause Chatteremail to fetch incoming email.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    If your on sprint (and you should be) use "PCS Mail" as the trigger phrase.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    My main email is gmail - can I do it straight from that or do I need to forward all of those emails to my sprint account to get the sms?
    So how much battery does Chatteremail use if you just let it "pull" email like normal?

I used that program on my 700P . . . but had the extended battery. I am curious if Chatteremail Push is even workable with the stock Centro battery.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I am using Chatter with 6 different IMAP accounts an I poll every 30 minutes from 7:15am to 11:00pm. No problems with my battery life. I do put the charger on every nite and I am in a work emviroment where my meter shows a maximum number of bars. Since Chatter push would drain my Treo 650 I haven't tried it on my Centro. Push is overrated IMO;-) IMAP, oth, is the best thing since....
    I'm confused gottago . . . what are you running Chatteremail on that you have no problems with battery life? I'm curious if it is even possible on the Centro.