Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    But where do I get royalty-free Westminster Chime MIDI files? I searched far and wide, but couldn't find them. (Google must be slipping) For that matter, I couldn't find any kind of good quality MIDI files. I don't want to include crappy MIDI tones with TreoHour.

Maybe the addition of MIDI chimes would increase the popularity of TreoHour.
    I'll look for chimes as well -- don't know of any royalty-free sites off-hand.

That said, would it not be a smaller footprint to generate the tones yourself? It's not the sounds of the chimes that's really important, it's the pattern of tones. If you have not done so, take a quick look at this Wiki page (Westminster_Quarters). You'll see that's only four tones, played in different and repeating patterns (the hourly pattern is followed by one strike for the number of the hour).

BTW. THANKS! Can't wait to see the beta!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    I'll look for chimes as well -- don't know of any royalty-free sites off-hand.
    Thanks... my head is spinning because of all the searching. No. It must be the wierd Google ads that are everywhere.
    Also, if you come across some decent chimes or beeps (small ones, not more than 2-5 seconds) do post them here or mail them to me. I'd like to provide three options (including the Westminster Chime) with each option having three tones (quarter, half and one hour). So I'm looking for 3 x 3 = 9 tones.

Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    That said, would it not be a smaller footprint to generate the tones yourself? It's not the sounds of the chimes that's really important, it's the pattern of tones. If you have not done so, take a quick look at this Wiki page (Westminster_Quarters).
    Firstly, I'm tone deaf. Besides, MIDI (unlike WAV) does just that, generate the tones from the description given in the .MID file (these files are text files). Only, with MIDI there is a realistic feel - depends on the playback "infrastructure" - to the tone. If I'm doing it, I might as well go the whole distance.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I'd like to provide three options (including the Westminster Chime) with each option having three tones (quarter, half and one hour). So I'm looking for 3 x 3 = 9 tones.
    For Westminster, it would actually be four sets of tones -- the first quarter and third quarter are different. You'd also need another tone for the hourly chime (which increments each hour). For example, the attached link (MIDI file) represents six o'clock.

Firstly, I'm tone deaf. Besides, MIDI (unlike WAV) does just that, generate the tones from the description given in the .MID file (these files are text files). Only, with MIDI there is a realistic feel - depends on the playback "infrastructure" - to the tone. If I'm doing it, I might as well go the whole distance.
    Tone deaf... So sorry! I come from a long line of musicians, and so, worst case, I can create the necessary midi files -- if that's the way this ends up going.

Again, the point of Westminster chimes is not the actual sound quality of the tone. It's the pattern and in the case of the hour, the number of chimes. With a representative Westminster chime, one could tell what time it is without even looking at the Treo.
  4.    #44  
    No problem... We can have 4 tones, one each for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 hour. One more thing... MIDI files don't appear to be text files! No problem there either.

We can start with the .MID file you linked to (hope it's free). Can you please point me to the others? Then I can release the first beta.

- mvk
  5.    #45  
    Uploaded v4.6

Release Notes:
    • Chime disable option.
    • Fixed interrupted simple beeps problem.
    • Support for MIDI chimes.

See: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoHour/TreoHour_User_Manual.html

Thanks to Kevin D. Cooke for the Westminster Chimes.

- mvk

Game over!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123