Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Played with a Centro the other day.

Nice device. Definitely better than 700p/755p.

This is the Treo Palm should have released 3 years ago.

Not sure what Palm was thinking...this is not low end - it is a better than the 755p. Product segmentation/cannibalisation, guys. Did anyone from Palm ever think about that?

If I wanted a Palm OS Treo, the Centro is it. (still a chunky monkey...why so thick?)
  2. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

Not sure what Palm was thinking...this is not low end - it is a better than the 755p. Product segmentation/cannibalisation, guys. Did anyone from Palm ever think about that?

If I wanted a Palm OS Treo, the Centro is it. (still a chunky monkey...why so thick?)
    What's this obsession with 'thin' .. as I often say: a piece of paper is really thin, but I don't want to hold an 8.5 x 11 sheet next to my face. To me, width is far more of a factor

I agree that this isn't a 'low-end' treo and it will kill the sales of the 755p (as it should). Matter of fact, I think they should just clear out their existing inventory and focus on promoting this product. Just look at what happenned with the Wii vs Playstation vs XBox360; it's hard to beat a low sticker price
    I guess I'm slow, I still don't see a reg flag that makes the Centro the lowest model in the Treo line besides the model number? Right now I'd say its their flagship model, but that's just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I am sure that is why they did not call it a treo 690. They knew it has all of the same functions as the flagship 755p. So untill the new treo 800 comes the centro is the phone to get.
    Last edited by LennyV; 11/04/2007 at 05:49 AM.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Pointing out that the Centro is what the newer Treos should have been is hardly informative, interesting or unique. It's about as shocking as saying "they sky is blue".

Re: cannibalizing sales

So Mike, what should Palm have done, given it's current situation with POS, the Centro and to avoid "cannibalizing sales"?

- Charge more for the Centro?
    - Make it less appealing?
    - Cripple the hardware?

At some point, Palm had to break their mold and old ways of doing things. They had to release a newer device at a lower price point and if that has side effects, tough. At least they called it something else besides a Treo to try and differentiate a bit.

WM5 completely broke a lot of WM 2003 programs, making the transition to their new OS very painful (especially with their new memory architecture and unfinished release). Should MS not have released WM5? That's nonsense.

Change can hurt, it's the nature of the business. This was a good decision for Palm, given it's current conditions and situation regarding any future OS.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #6  
    Mal,

Let's not get into what Palm "should have done". That could takes days, starting with developing and launching Cobalt properly...

As for the 755, honestly, they should have never released it - they should have focused on bringing the Centro out sooner.

Unfortunately, the Foleo fiasco probably had something to do with that.
    Mal,

Let's not get into what Palm "should have done". That could takes days, starting with developing and launching Cobalt properly...

As for the 755, honestly, they should have never released it - they should have focused on bringing the Centro out sooner.

Unfortunately, the Foleo fiasco probably had something to do with that.
    I wouldnt like that... coz i love my 755p... point well taken though. Still wish they came up with my Foleo

What points in the small amount of time playing with the Centro at the store merit your conclusion? Not that I don't agree the Centro is better but some problems on the other two devices are problems found down the road after some time, especially after 3rd party applications have been put into the mix.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I am a long time treo user with tons of 3rd party apps had the 180-270-600-650-700p and the 750 and no way should this be marketed as low end entry level device. The centro blows all of them away this is what i invisioned a treo should have been when i first purchased the 180.By far the most stable and fastest treo i ever used.

Fred
    How do they expect to sell the 755 when the centro is actually a "better" phone for cheaper. This is an bassackwards move by Palm IMO. Sure it is good they are finally releasing a smartphone with the proper size, price & stability but come on, why call it a Centro & why still sell the 755??? And so basically it is still a Treo 600 under the hood except for a high res screen but with a new form factor. What have these design or r&d guys been doing for the past 5 years??? Whatever these guys get paid, I am sure it is too much!
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l View Post

I agree that this isn't a 'low-end' treo and it will kill the sales of the 755p (as it should). Matter of fact, I think they should just clear out their existing inventory and focus on promoting this product.
    I wouldn't want to trade the large screen and keyboard on the traditional Treo form factor for the Centro. Sorry, but for me, the relatively minor improvements elsewhere don't make up for the compromises dictated by the small size: screen, keyboard and battery.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I wouldn't want to trade the large screen and keyboard on the traditional Treo form factor for the Centro. Sorry, but for me, the relatively minor improvements elsewhere don't make up for the compromises dictated by the small size: screen, keyboard and battery.
    My biggest fear was the keyboard. Once I played with it at the store though, I was sold. I don't care about the smaller screen; it's the same resolution. I can live with the smaller battery; I have chargers everywhere (@home, @work, in the car, @ my significant other's place). I can see how someone with poor eyesight (me in a few years ) would want a larger screen.

Overall, it's much more responsive/stable than the 700p. I'm very happy I traded up.
    Personally I think people should not compare the Centro to 755p. Centro is the latest model from Palm. Of course some of the problems of 755p are fixed before the launch. For the hardware, Centro is definitely using the more advance hardware (at this moment). Like the digital camera, the latest models are using the latest technology or higher mega pixel but it doesn't mean to replace some high-end models. The built quality are different because of Palm using other ODM (Asus) for Centro. (Treo is from HTC.)

From my personal experience in using the products from Asus (pda & motherboard) and HTC (pda), I feel that Asus overall quality control is better than HTC.

I think we should wait until the new Treo (maybe 800P) released. By the time, you compare the hardware, features etc then you may know why Palm classified Centro as entry level.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    How do they expect to sell the 755 when the centro is actually a "better" phone for cheaper. This is an bassackwards move by Palm IMO. Sure it is good they are finally releasing a smartphone with the proper size, price & stability but come on, why call it a Centro & why still sell the 755??? And so basically it is still a Treo 600 under the hood except for a high res screen but with a new form factor. What have these design or r&d guys been doing for the past 5 years??? Whatever these guys get paid, I am sure it is too much!
    Bassackwards has nothing to do with it. Being a "better" phone for cheaper results from lackluster looks and plain cheap contruction. This device IMHO is cheaper looking to add to it. I honestly think the pricing is right on. The 755 is a Primo looking device with a nice soft touch and I would rather have it with its short commings than this cheap looking toy. With a kick here and there my 700p will last me until the next Primo device comes... no need to fall under the "gotta have a new gadget spell" for me.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If I had to do a lot of outgoing email I'd probably prefer a 755P that works. However, I've never had a 755P that works right and Sprint sent me three. The Centro just works. After using the Centro for awile I believe all the 755P's are defective. The 755P looks more professional at this point in time. The Centro looks more like a regular phone at meetings. I had to kind of laugh at a seminar last week when everyone had their BB's, WM, and Treo's out. I'm sure nobody would have guessed that my Centro could do all the things their bricks can do and do them better. The iPhone and the Centro are starting to make Treo's and BB's look primitive.
    I am still hanging on to my 700p, so I don't know much about the apparant problems with the 755p with the exceptions to what have been said on this forum. I am happy for Centro owners that have gotten the results Palm has been way late on. I just gotta have that professional look.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'd rather have a better phone than a professional look. I don't know why you say the Centro doesn't have the professional look? You must like big and clunky and old.
  18. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    I'd rather have a better phone than a professional look. I don't know why you say the Centro doesn't have the professional look? You must like big and clunky and old.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself

Sorry fellas...I didn't realize the same O'l Frankengarnet with tweaking in a new shiny plastic case from the dime store was so innovative.
    at&t iPhone3G
    We get it. This thread was addressing how Palm is changing direction, we all hope, by getting a larger market share, which will help all of us, and if the changes are effective. The Centro is a major development and is the first product that reflects this change. I think we all believe the Centro is a good sign of more to come. I think you need to see one in person before jumping all over it, especially when comparing it to your 700.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast