1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    My wife just got her Centro and is requesting good FREE ringers. I have tried "3gforfree" and "funformobile". I had some trouble getting MP3 ringers sent to a Sprint phone. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to search but didn't find many good websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Hi all,
    My wife just got her Centro and is requesting good FREE ringers. I have tried "3gforfree" and "funformobile". I had some trouble getting MP3 ringers sent to a Sprint phone. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to search but didn't find many good websites.
    Why not just store them on your MicroSD card??
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Hi all,

Um.....I don't think the Centro plays MP3s as ringtones, natively. You either have to use a 3rd party application like Ringcare or convert them using something like Musictones (freeware).

I've always made my own Mp3 ringers by using Goldwave on my PC to clip the song to around 20 seconds then adding the MP3 ringtone to my card and using Ringo (now I use Ringcare) as my ringtone manager.

K
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Don't know how to post it bit I, along with many others, use miniTones. I make mp3s on my computer with nero's edit audio or convert audio, and save my final cut to my microSD card, as mentioned before, and minitones finds it and makes it available as a ringer. I have the themesong to 'House' as my ringer and an iphone sound to my texts.
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
    Minitones and Musictones work similarly. Both are free, its just a matter of choice. But the bottom line is that you can't use MP3s, natively.

K
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    Um.....I don't think the Centro plays MP3s as ringtones, natively. You either have to use a 3rd party application like Ringcare or convert them using something like Musictones (freeware).

I've always made my own Mp3 ringers by using Goldwave on my PC to clip the song to around 20 seconds then adding the MP3 ringtone to my card and using Ringo (now I use Ringcare) as my ringtone manager.

K
    Nchargreed,
    I guess I should have said I never did this before so I'm a rookie in making/creating ringers. I looked at the website you suggested but I figured $45/55 was too much for me now. Do you take requests?

Either way, thanks for your suggestions.
    I will make you some ringtones if you want. Just tell me what songs and I will get make them and email them to you. PM me if you want.
    I just made my 1st ringtone using Minitone today and it's pretty easy once you know how to use the program.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    silly question perhaps...but can you manage your inger from internal memory? I dont have my micro card yet, so i wanna get familiar with the program first
    minitones is really easy and free! the only negative is that it saves to your main memory and not to your microsd. sounds really nice on the centro. it has such a louder speaker than the 755.
    diane
    I just found another way to put ringtones on your centro. This works if you don't have a microSD card yet.

1) Get a copy of the MP3 you want use.
    2) Open it in GoldWave (or some other audio editor)
    3) Trim the MP3 down to about 20 seconds using the section of the MP3 you want.
    4) You may want to down sample the bit rate. Most MP3 are recorded at 128Kbs or 192Kbs in stereo...these take a lot of room. I have been down sampling my MP3s to 64Kbs MP3s to save room. I think they sound OK for the speaker on the Centro.
    5) Upload the sound to a free file sharing site like Ripway.com
    6) Copy the link to the file from Ripway into an email and send it to your phone.
    7) On your phone, click on the link in the email. The centro will ask you if you want to "Play, Save to Device, Save to Card, or Copy to Ringtone". Select "Copy to Ringtone".
    8) At this point you can use the built in ringtone manager under PREFs to manage the new ringtone.

Hopefully this helps someone else too.

Has anyone else played with bit rate? with the sampling rate?
    It looks like on Goldwave, stereo vs. mono doesn't seem to save any room.

Franko353