Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    do you have to buy special headphones to work with the centro or can you buy an adapter?
    Adapter, if it is the correct one, will work fine. The best one is the Siedio one with the short wire. It puts less strain on the jack. In the accessories store of TreoCentral.
    I have a pair of sony headphones that I am happy with and would like to continue using. The problem is that they have an 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug. I need a 3/32" (2.5mm) adapter.

Do I need a 3 pin (link to image) or 4 pin (link to image) adapter to use my stereo headphones?

I know most wired headsets have a 3 pin connector: ground/mic/mono-headphone.

I am guessing you need the 4 pin connector to get stereo out of the 2.5mm jack (ground/mic/left-headphone/right-headphone)

Franko
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I have a pair of sony headphones that I am happy with and would like to continue using. The problem is that they have an 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug. I need a 3/32" (2.5mm) adapter.

Do I need a 3 pin (link to image) or 4 pin (link to image) adapter to use my stereo headphones?

I am guessing you need the 4 pin connector to get stereo out of the 2.5mm jack (ground/mic/left-headphone/right-headphone)

Franko
    3 pin. The configuration is such that it makes the appropriate connection to the Palm 4 pin socket.
    I would actually recommend you pick up a set of Bluetooth headphones. Then you don't need to worry about adapters and such.
    That is exactly what I did....I could not get anything to work like I wanted, so I ordered the Jabra bt320. They should be here Monday...>The nice thing about these is you can use any headphone with them, since it has a 3.5mm jack....Not stuck with built in ear buds or what not....I will let you guys know how they work out......
    Just remember, to use BT stereo headphones you will need the Softstick Audio Gateway program to give the Centro A2DP support.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmexx323 View Post
    That is exactly what I did....I could not get anything to work like I wanted, so I ordered the Jabra bt320. They should be here Monday...>The nice thing about these is you can use any headphone with them, since it has a 3.5mm jack....Not stuck with built in ear buds or what not....I will let you guys know how they work out......
    This looks interesting but that adapater looks huge to me. Someone else on a thread I had posted recommended the Jabra BT8010. The advantage to this particular set is that you can remove one of the headphones so you can listen with one ear piece in mono if you are trying to be more discreet (and have longer hair). I'm not completely sold on this solution as the mono earpiece looks to be pretty darn big. But it's an interesting idea.
    +1 on the stereo BT i got some S9's and LG HBS-200 and swap em out regularly and i love em
    I am reading up on reviews on the Shure i2c-t. It's a combo isolation headset headphone with a Treo specific plug so no adapter necessary. It's a bit more expensive than the Seidio but if you want better sound then Shure is a better choice.

Here is an old review I came across for a more expensive model i4c-t. The reviewer mentioned a volume control problem which may have been fixed by now.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/sh...arphones.shtml
    I found a cheap pair of 2.5mm headphones at a local flea market that work pretty well in the Centro. (I am still looking for a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adaptor for my other headphones)

Here is a link to them at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CV-E312-D...bosnation0e-20

Note that these received a 1* rating on Amazon: Why: "...but these DO NOT FIT IN AN IPOD..."
    I found a cheap pair of 2.5mm headphones at a local flea market that work pretty well in the Centro. (I am still looking for a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adaptor for my other headphones)

Here is a link to them at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CV-E312-D...bosnation0e-20

Note that these received a 1* rating on Amazon: Why: "...but these DO NOT FIT IN AN IPOD..."
    Just picked these up. They aren't terrible but they aren't good either. The speakers in them sound pretty weak but are helped...at least in the bass region, by being sealed in the ear. They sound like $5 headphones with good bass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Just picked these up. They aren't terrible but they aren't good either. The speakers in them sound pretty weak but are helped...at least in the bass region, by being sealed in the ear. They sound like $5 headphones with good bass.
    Yes, these are $5 headphones. I think they are fine for Internet Radio (via Kinoma/pTunes, audio books (Audible) and podcast. If you have high quality mp3s, I think you will want something of better quality.

I like the fact that these headphones are small and that they do not need an adapter to plug into the phone. I am looking for a little larger phone case so I can keep the headphones with the phone.

Frank
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

Franko
    Hey Frank. Did you come up with a wired solution? I'm thinking you're right, that the 4 pin connector might be what you need for stereo.

I just want some decent quality stereo headphones that I can plug in to my Centro... I don't really care about the Mic, though that would be ok. All the adapters I've found take you down in size, but also swap you from 4 pin to 3 pin.... and I either get mono in one earbud, or one channel in two earbuds, depending on the headphones and adapter combo's I've tried!

Surely someone has come up with a good wired solution!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Hey Frank. Did you come up with a wired solution? I'm thinking you're right, that the 4 pin connector might be what you need for stereo...
    I bought both a 3 pin and 4 pin adapter to test.

The 3 pin works great with my Sony headphones and my cassette adapter I use in my car.

The 4 pin only works if you don't push the 2.5mm adapter all the way into the phone...and then it sounds like its mono rather than stereo.

I would suggest you get a 3 pin adapter. I found them for cheap at dealextreme.com...but the free shipping is really slow.

I ran a test with the song "moving in stereo" from the cars to make sure it works. It does!
    Last edited by franko353; 01/23/2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Surely someone has come up with a good wired solution!
    I found this adapter from JAVOedge through a link on another board. I had tried several others with no luck, but this one works perfect. Just plug it in and enjoy your stereo headset. And, it's only $2.99! But wait, it gets better... you can ORDER TWO ADAPTERS for only $3.99! The total cost for two adapters, shipped, was only $6.38. You can't beat that with a stick.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I've just looked at the Palm 2 in 1 Stereo Headset Pro. At first I got excited until I googled up some reviews. Apparently the sound quality is mediocre, at best. But notice that the picture clearly shows it's a 4 pin.

So, which are the better quality wired headphone solutions (other than by Palm or Seidio) out there? (I've had mixed experiences with Seidio products - good ones with their batteries and adapters, and bad ones with thier headsets.)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by star444 View Post
    I found this adapter from JAVOedge through a link on another board. I had tried several others with no luck, but this one works perfect. Just plug it in and enjoy your stereo headset. And, it's only $2.99! But wait, it gets better... you can ORDER TWO ADAPTERS for only $3.99! The total cost for two adapters, shipped, was only $6.38. You can't beat that with a stick.
    LOL! I think I'll try then even though I have one that looks just like it from Seidio that doesn't work.... because you say they work and wth they're cheap! Thanks star
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    LOL! I think I'll try then even though I have one that looks just like it from Seidio that doesn't work.... because you say they work and wth they're cheap! Thanks star
    I know the user who posted it over at SU said he had tried a couple of others that looked just like it too, but they did not work. I had previously tried the adapter that came with my Sanyo M1, and an adapter that sold for Cingular's Rokr, but neither worked. I have no idea what makes it different, but it definitely works.

Quote Originally Posted by jctim
    I've tried three different adapters and 2 out of the three did not work on my CENTRO.

1. First try was a 2.5 -> 3.5mm adapter from Radio Shack. Not the straight adapter but one that looks almost exactly like the one made by Smartphone Experts. Only got sound out of one ear.

2. Second try was a 2.5 -> 3.5mm "stereo" headset adapter w/mic sold at Target. Sound in both ears but only in mono.

3. Third try. Purchased an adapter made by JavoEdge. It looks almost exactly like the one I bought at Radio Shack and the one made by SME. But something is definitely different because I got it tonight and behold, STEREO! And the best part it only costs $2.99 + shipping! They also offer a 2 pack for $1 more bringing it to $3.99 + shipping which came out to a little over $6 in change in total.

For reference I'm using SURE E2c headphones, not el-cheapo $1 store headphones. If there is anybody looking for a good headphone adapter for your Palm Centro, this one works!

http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/...031&pbmId=5665
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by star444 View Post
    I know the user who posted it over at SU said he had tried a couple of others that looked just like it too, but they did not work. I had previously tried the adapter that came with my Sanyo M1, and an adapter that sold for Cingular's Rokr, but neither worked. I have no idea what makes it different, but it definitely works.
    Wonder if these will work with the inline aux jack in my car stereo? Hrm.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast