Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I just ordered (from TC) the Palm Pro headset for my Centro. I read a few good reviews on it, and I like thier look.

Lets see how the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    OK, today I made a couple of iPhone headset adapters. I used the following parts:

"Jack, 4 Conductor In-Line 1/8" (3.5mm) - Philmore #70-086 (Same as Calrad 30-705)

"Plug, 4 Conductor 2.5mm Right Angle with Shielded 6 ft Cord" - Philmore #44-402

Trimmed the cord on the plug end to 4 inches, used trial and error to determine the correct wiring. For these parts, the key is as follows:

wire color -> Jack post
    White -> shortest silver post
    Yellow -> gold post
    Red -> middle silver post
    copper ground wire -> tallest post

A bit of heatsink tubing to keeps things clean inside the jack, and of course one must crimp the ground post 'wings' around the outer cable jacket to take strain off the soldered wires. Just used a little 12 watt pencil iron to solder - you don't want to use a big iron for this job.

I did have to trim the plastic around the 2.5mm right-angle plug to clear the hotsync connector. Used an xacto knife, easy-peasy.

All parts ordered from http://www.minute-man.com/ - the minimum order is $20, so I ordered enough to make three adapters (made two, destroyed one jack during trial and error phase.) I recommend that anyone trying to duplicate this order several and make several to have spares.

Please note that I also ordered and tried the pre-made "2.5mm 4 Conductor Male Plug to 3.5mm 4 Conductor Female Jack" adapter pigtail (Philmore 44-408) but it didn't work - wrong pinout, it seems. Don't waste your money.

Anyhow, I'm now using a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4vi headphones designed for iPhone and couldn't be happier. They sound as good as the Shure i-series phones but have a much slimmer in-line mic and switch.
    Post some pics
    I use this adapter (with built-in mic, switch, and volume dial) with my Centro and a pair of Shure e3g headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DLBSVQ?...bosnation0e-20

Works very well - not bad for $0.24.

It does result in a whole lot of annoying excess cord, though, which is why I'm moving to an iPhone-specific headset (the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi) and a home-made 4-conductor 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter pigtail.

I'll post back here when the new phones arrive.
    How well is this jack holding up? I am thinking of grabbing one.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by profroopchan View Post
    How well is this jack holding up? I am thinking of grabbing one.

Mine just showed up yesterday. Music out of both sides of the headphones, which is a beautiful thing.....
    With the iPhone and Blackberry devices using 3.5mm plugs, there are now more headphone/mic combos available for this standard. Has anyone ever identified the 3.5mm equivalent to what Palm is using in the Treo/Centro? I'd rather open up my T650 and install what Palm should have in the first place and be done with it.
  6. JC1
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a place to purchase a (2 in 1 Treo mic/headset (2.5mm) to 2 3.5mm headphone/mic plugs adapter)? The plug has 4 conductors. I prefer something small. Maybe someone on here that's built one that really works would be willing to sell one to me? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I ordered four 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapters from dealextreme.com a few weeks ago. They are about 3 inches long with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a 3.5mm female plug on the other end.

Here is a photo:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/customerp...0d12534c87.jpg

Here is the link:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.733

They cost $1.40 and they have free shipping which takes about 10-14 days to get it after ordering. I haven't used the "faster" non-free shipping.

They work great with my cassette adapter for the head unit in my car, my Sony MDR-EX71 & Jabra C820s headphones.

(I also ordered a neat "Retractable Data Sync and Charging Cable for Palm Treo 650" that works on the Centro. Here is that link : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8329 )
    I got mine today. It works great with the cassette adapter in my car as well. I plan to leave this in my car to use exclusively with the cassette adapter. It took a bit of tweaking the settings to get it to sound good, but using the winamp skin on PTunes, I was able to get the settings correct. It now sounds great. I have a little 10" sub and amp in my trunk though, as well as an external amp running my inside speakers, so my system is slightly built.
    Just won an auction in eBay for the Shure i2ct headset for about $50 with shipping

Excited!
    I use this adapter (with built-in mic, switch, and volume dial) with my Centro and a pair of Shure e3g headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DLBSVQ?...bosnation0e-20

Works very well - not bad for $0.24.
    i'm going to agree on the insten adapter. i bought it to use with my 650 and it still works with the centro (call switch and all). i like being able to shift from music to telephone calls and back with one set of comfortable stereo headphones on. my preferred headphone wiring is somewhat short, so the extra length on the adapter is nice when i'm hanging out recharging the phone and listening to music.
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Okay. So, I guess I am going to grab one of these Insten adapters then, since you guys give it good reviews. They do not develop short in the wires after short period of time, do they?
    i've never noticed any crackling or shorting with the insten. i doubt it is of superb sound quality at that price, but i'm no audiophile. i get stereo music, it works and i'm happy with it. utilitarian and all.

new info: the call switch works for phone calls, but it choked up my GSM centro trying to open the voice dialer from a locked screen. had to soft reset.
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Been enjoying my Shure headphones for the past 2 days Stereo sound separation is incredible... its not for people who like having loud bass though. but it works perfectly. It has awesome sound isolation because of the way the earpiece was built. it sticks in the direction of the canal and suctions it pretty well.

Happy $50 spent
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric View Post
    i'm going to agree on the insten adapter. i bought it to use with my 650 and it still works with the centro (call switch and all). i like being able to shift from music to telephone calls and back with one set of comfortable stereo headphones on. my preferred headphone wiring is somewhat short, so the extra length on the adapter is nice when i'm hanging out recharging the phone and listening to music.
    i just received this one from amazon (the dude ships quick). it seems to work well (when pushed all the way in) and sounds good, but it feels extremely low quality (who woulda thought at that price!) and the clip is total crap. but for the price, I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by amm888 View Post
    i just received this one from amazon (the dude ships quick). it seems to work well (when pushed all the way in) and sounds good, but it feels extremely low quality (who woulda thought at that price!) and the clip is total crap. but for the price, I'm happy.
    Just wanted to update my 'review' on this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DLBSVQ?...bosnation0e-20 cheap little adapter. I've been told that the sound quality on the other end is pretty poor. I suppose you get what you pay for sometimes....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123