Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I picked up a RadioShack adapter (part number 274-373) as suggested on SprintUsers and it works great. I had to file down one side of it so it would actually go all the way into the jack, but that was no big deal. It works great both for headphones and for feeding into my car stereo. There is nothing quite like being any to stream any Shoutcast station in your car. I actually have fewer dropouts with my Centro streaming internet radio than I do from my Sirius satellite radio unit, at least on my commute to work
    I use this adapter (with built-in mic, switch, and volume dial) with my Centro and a pair of Shure e3g headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DLBSVQ?...bosnation0e-20

Works very well - not bad for $0.24.

It does result in a whole lot of annoying excess cord, though, which is why I'm moving to an iPhone-specific headset (the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi) and a home-made 4-conductor 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter pigtail.

I'll post back here when the new phones arrive.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I've just looked at the Palm 2 in 1 Stereo Headset Pro. At first I got excited until I googled up some reviews. Apparently the sound quality is mediocre, at best. But notice that the picture clearly shows it's a 4 pin.

So, which are the better quality wired headphone solutions (other than by Palm or Seidio) out there? (I've had mixed experiences with Seidio products - good ones with their batteries and adapters, and bad ones with thier headsets.)
    It's 4 conductor because it has the mic as well. Even thought the palm pro isn't great, I think it's the best of the cheap combos.

If you're looking for just a headphone adapter w/o a mic, then you'll want a 3 conductor like the Seidio or Javo. Get a backup. They only last 3-6 mos before they break.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donovan1983 View Post
    I picked up a RadioShack adapter (part number 274-373) as suggested on SprintUsers and it works great. I had to file down one side of it so it would actually go all the way into the jack, but that was no big deal. It works great both for headphones and for feeding into my car stereo. There is nothing quite like being any to stream any Shoutcast station in your car. I actually have fewer dropouts with my Centro streaming internet radio than I do from my Sirius satellite radio unit, at least on my commute to work
    Careful with this one. It puts a lot of pressure on the earphone jack which is notoriously delicate on the Treos. The ones like the Javo or Seidio put much less pressure on the jack.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Works very well - not bad for $0.24.
    That's one thing I don't like about Amazon, they act like they are giving away the item, then stick it to you on the shipping and handling. The adapter from Amazon is $0.24 plus $4.98 shipping, which equals $5.22. The adapter from JAVOedge is $2.99 plus $2.39 shipping, which equals $5.38. So, for one adapter, they are basically the same price.

If you order two adapters from Amazon, the adapters cost $0.48 plus $9.96 shipping, or, $10.44 for two. The cost for two adapters from JAVOedge is $3.99 plus $2.39 shipping, or, $6.38 for two. A difference of $4.06!

Also, the JAVOedge adapter is much more compact.
    I ordered four 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapters from dealextreme.com a few weeks ago. They are about 3 inches long with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a 3.5mm female plug on the other end.

Here is a photo:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/customerp...0d12534c87.jpg

Here is the link:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.733

They cost $1.40 and they have free shipping which takes about 10-14 days to get it after ordering. I haven't used the "faster" non-free shipping.

They work great with my cassette adapter for the head unit in my car, my Sony MDR-EX71 & Jabra C820s headphones.

(I also ordered a neat "Retractable Data Sync and Charging Cable for Palm Treo 650" that works on the Centro. Here is that link : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8329 )
    Last edited by franko353; 01/23/2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by star444 View Post
    That's one thing I don't like about Amazon, they act like they are giving away the item, then stick it to you on the shipping and handling.
    Except the item on that Amazon link is actually sold by "Eforcity," not Amazon. Third-party Amazon Marketplace merchants can chose their own prices and shipping policies (within limits.)

If the item were actually sold by Amazon, you'd get a break on multiple items.

The adapter from Amazon is $0.24 plus $4.98 shipping, which equals $5.22. The adapter from JAVOedge is $2.99 plus $2.39 shipping, which equals $5.38. So, for one adapter, they are basically the same price.
    Except the JAVOedge adapter doesn't contain a mic or switch button to let you answer calls with your headphones, so they're not really equivalent.

Also, the JAVOedge adapter is much more compact.
    Except the JAVOedge adapter doesn't contain a mic or switch button to let you answer calls with your headphones, so they're not really equivalent.

Not that I have a stake in this. Like I said, I'm building my own 4-conductor adapters to use iPhone headsets because nobody else is selling them.
    franko353,
    how r u ging to make your own? i'd love o do the same. I bought some vModa phones, I love them, just wish they'd wouk with the 750
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    You know what I have been looking for, a retractable stereo headset that has a mic builtin for the phone. Like Ziplink cords.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I found this adapter from JAVOedge through a link on another board. I had tried several others with no luck, but this one works perfect. Just plug it in and enjoy your stereo headset. And, it's only $2.99! But wait, it gets better... you can ORDER TWO ADAPTERS for only $3.99! The total cost for two adapters, shipped, was only $6.38. You can't beat that with a stick.
    Bleh. I ordered the above and because my shipto address is different than my credit card address, they want me to fax them my cc account statement.... I can appreciate they're trying to reduce credit card fraud, but if I was a fraud, I'd have purchased more than a $6 item.

Any chance these adapters are available through some other vendor?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I ordered four 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapters from dealextreme.com a few weeks ago. They are about 3 inches long with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a 3.5mm female plug on the other end.

Here is a photo:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/customerp...0d12534c87.jpg

Here is the link:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.733

They cost $1.40 and they have free shipping which takes about 10-14 days to get it after ordering. I haven't used the "faster" non-free shipping.

They work great with my cassette adapter for the head unit in my car, my Sony MDR-EX71 & Jabra C820s headphones.

(I also ordered a neat "Retractable Data Sync and Charging Cable for Palm Treo 650" that works on the Centro. Here is that link : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8329 )
    When using headphones, can you confirm that they are actually "stereo"? some adapters aren't, even though they push sound through both channels. Its in mono. You need a song that clearly cycles between channels to be positive that they are not just mono in both ears. Try listening to something like "Living in Stereo" by the Cars, for instance.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    When using headphones, can you confirm that they are actually "stereo"?...
    Yes, I have tested it with The Cars - Moving in Stereo (see my earlier post, #15, earlier in this thread)

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    It's 4 conductor because it has the mic as well. Even thought the palm pro isn't great, I think it's the best of the cheap combos.

If you're looking for just a headphone adapter w/o a mic, then you'll want a 3 conductor like the Seidio or Javo. Get a backup. They only last 3-6 mos before they break.
    I agree. I just got mine today, so I can take it to the gym and be able to listen to MP3s or take a conf. call.

--m
    I found this adapter from JAVOedge through a link on another board. I had tried several others with no luck, but this one works perfect. Just plug it in and enjoy your stereo headset. And, it's only $2.99! But wait, it gets better... you can ORDER TWO ADAPTERS for only $3.99! The total cost for two adapters, shipped, was only $6.38. You can't beat that with a stick.
    Even better, use this coupon code for 10% off: JAVO10OFF
    The attached diagrams from Palm may help with confusion about 3 & 4 pin compatability.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OK, today I made a couple of iPhone headset adapters. I used the following parts:

"Jack, 4 Conductor In-Line 1/8" (3.5mm) - Philmore #70-086 (Same as Calrad 30-705)

"Plug, 4 Conductor 2.5mm Right Angle with Shielded 6 ft Cord" - Philmore #44-402

Trimmed the cord on the plug end to 4 inches, used trial and error to determine the correct wiring. For these parts, the key is as follows:

wire color -> Jack post
    White -> shortest silver post
    Yellow -> gold post
    Red -> middle silver post
    copper ground wire -> tallest post

A bit of heatsink tubing to keeps things clean inside the jack, and of course one must crimp the ground post 'wings' around the outer cable jacket to take strain off the soldered wires. Just used a little 12 watt pencil iron to solder - you don't want to use a big iron for this job.

I did have to trim the plastic around the 2.5mm right-angle plug to clear the hotsync connector. Used an xacto knife, easy-peasy.

All parts ordered from http://www.minute-man.com/ - the minimum order is $20, so I ordered enough to make three adapters (made two, destroyed one jack during trial and error phase.) I recommend that anyone trying to duplicate this order several and make several to have spares.

Please note that I also ordered and tried the pre-made "2.5mm 4 Conductor Male Plug to 3.5mm 4 Conductor Female Jack" adapter pigtail (Philmore 44-408) but it didn't work - wrong pinout, it seems. Don't waste your money.

Anyhow, I'm now using a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4vi headphones designed for iPhone and couldn't be happier. They sound as good as the Shure i-series phones but have a much slimmer in-line mic and switch.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The attached diagrams from Palm may help with confusion about 3 & 4 pin compatability.
    Duh, voltage measurements and decision algorithm's.... that clears up a lot! if only it was a simple matter of finding the published impedences of each pin for all the different phones and adapters out there. I've ran across (and wasted money on) some obvious mismatches.

Thanks John!
    Duh, voltage measurements and decision algorithm's.... that clears up a lot! if only it was a simple matter of finding the published impedences of each pin for all the different phones and adapters out there. I've ran across (and wasted money on) some obvious mismatches.

Thanks John!
    The diagrams indicate the way in which 3 & 4 connection plugs make their connection to the Treo's 4 connection socket. That was my point. (And if you don't find my contribution useful, no need for the negativity of sarcasm. Just ignore it.)
    Last edited by johncc; 01/28/2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The diagrams indicate the way in which 3 & 4 connection plugs make their connection to the Treo's 4 connection socket. That was my point. (And if you don't find my contribution useful, no need for the negativity of sarcasm. Just ignore it.)
    Whoa! I think you totally misread my response. I fully appreciated your post, printed it out and studied it, and was only trying to make a joke directed at myself, as in, I should have known something like that was going on.

Ease up a bit, John. I even thanked you.
    Micael - My apologies for the miss-interpretation. Just my paranoia showing through.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/29/2008 at 07:28 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast