Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    The Kinoma blog recently featured a program called PictureLink, which, among other things, creates icons which can be linked directly to Kinoma content.

In my case, the recently-updated Librivox audiobooks/recordings are accessible by clicking a single icon, instead of...

... opening Kinoma, waiting for it to load, finding and clicking on my The Hound of the Baskervilles bookmark, and finally, clicking on the chapter I want. And that's with a shortcut (as opposed to accessing and penetrating the levels beneath the media guide).

I love having more or less direct access o my favorite content (especially NPR and Sherlock Holmes). The ones that automatically resume are particularly fun, but at least it doesn't take as long, now, to get back to the non-resuming content.

Okay, that was more long-winded than intended. It's a cool app, so far. You might wanna give it a shot.

Oh yeah. Thanks, Charles@Kinoma, for the e-mail heads-up. I dig little tips like that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    How do you get new media in the Kinoma Media Guide? We have broadcast at www.tvw.org that covers WA government. It broadcasts live in Windows Media and Flash Player and recorded in Flash Player. I've had a dickens of a time getting the streaming information to play in Kinoma. It would seem to be perfect for the guide. Also, th WM broadcasts come back as incompatible, too new of a version? Downloading works for recorded media, but not for the live feeds.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    For the tech video podcast lovers, check out http://m.revision3.com/

They have a new mobile friendly version of thir website that will let you stream their video podcasts. It DOES work with kinoma, but they seem to only streaming 3gp bitrates for now.

Charles@Kinoma: If you haven't got them already, might wanna contact the ppl @ revision3 about including their stuff in Kinoma Media Guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcase View Post
    How do you get new media in the Kinoma Media Guide?
    There's a suggestion form at http://www.kinoma.com/index/media-guide-idea/, or you can just email me the details at charles@ our domain name.

Assuming it's compatible, normally I can add it same-day. If it's not, I can tell you why.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Thanks, Charles@Kinoma, for the e-mail heads-up. I dig little tips like that.
    Cool. It's gratifying to hear...thank you for subscribing!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    If only it were so ...

I use Keyguard -- and it does not protect against hits to the applications keys, or against internal messages (i.e. email reception notices, etc.)

I even went so far as to modify the default application key settings (that ones can be changed) to Kinoma -- but that still leaves the "home" and "phone" keys which can't be changed -- and any hit on those STOPS Kinoma COLD.

I wish they'd they fix this GIGANTIC bug instead of adding more listings to their media browser, or features...
    I know this has been previously discussed (and that Kinoma even chimed in), but I need some clarification. Is the ability to use the keyguard the same thing as background play? I understand that Kinoma, in its current version, can't run in the background while other programs are running (unlike Ptunes). But does that mean that I can't even turn off the screen and activate Palm's built-in keyguard? In other words, I start a podcast and press the red button on my Centro to turn off the screen. Usually, this means that the keyguard is activated and inadvertently pressing any other buttons on my Centro won't mess up my podcast. But that's not that case here. As noted by the poster above, Kinoma seems to "deactivate" Palm's built-in keyguard.

I don't mind Kinoma being the only program running on my Palm, but I'd really like to be able to use it without worrying that every time I put my phone back in my pocket, it's going to mess up my podcast...
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    Is the ability to use the keyguard the same thing as background play?
    No. And just to set expectations, Kinoma Player won't be hacking the current Palm OS to simulate multitasking.

But does that mean that I can't even turn off the screen and activate Palm's built-in keyguard?
    Unfortunately, Keyguard starves the frontmost application from getting enough CPU time. This caused performance problems for a lot of customers, so we fixed it in the v4.4 update:

The Palm OS Keyguard feature used to interrupt playback until it was dismissed. Now Kinoma Player defers Keyguard while actively playing media. This lets you quickly play other items and avoid unnecessary rebuffering and audio glitches.

It's not a perfect solution, but Keyguard-related performance problems were fairly common, and the need to be able to mash on the Phone/Home hard keys without interrupting playback is fairly rare (and generally fixable with a good case).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    No. And just to set expectations, Kinoma Player won't be hacking the current Palm OS to simulate multitasking.

Unfortunately, Keyguard starves the frontmost application from getting enough CPU time. This caused performance problems for a lot of customers, so we fixed it in the v4.4 update:

The Palm OS Keyguard feature used to interrupt playback until it was dismissed. Now Kinoma Player defers Keyguard while actively playing media. This lets you quickly play other items and avoid unnecessary rebuffering and audio glitches.

It's not a perfect solution, but Keyguard-related performance problems were fairly common, and the need to be able to mash on the Phone/Home hard keys without interrupting playback is fairly rare (and generally fixable with a good case).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Thanks for the quick response, Charles. All things being equal, I would rather have the better performance than the use of the keyguard. I remember the streaming problems before the update, and Kinoma has been consistenty stable since then.
    All things being equal, I would rather have the better performance than the use of the keyguard.
    Cool, I appreciate the sanity-check. It's tough when there's not an obvious option that's perfect for everyone.

I remember the streaming problems before the update, and Kinoma has been consistenty stable since then.
    Good to know. Thanks again!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma works fine in all respects, but last night I tried to use the youtube search but it didn't work....it just kept trying to load with no success.Youtube content still works though....i can still open my youtube bookmarks and other youtube content such as most viewed, most rated etc....is it just me or is everyone else experiencing the youtube search problem as well?
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    The YouTUbe search just hangs bouncing between Connecting and Parsing for me. I wasn't able to exit Kinoma so had to reset (pull the battery).
    This happened a month or two ago, when YouTube suddenly changed its format. Perhaps they've changed something again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    This happened a month or two ago, when YouTube suddenly changed its format. Perhaps they've changed something again.
    Yep, YouTube search is horked as I write this. We're investigating, and I'll post to our blog and send out a tweet (we're "Kinoma" on Twitter) when I have more news.

Thanks!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Have any of you noticed that Kinoma will sometimes stream podcast content without any audio coming through?

To be clear, I'll be listening to a podcast, like TreoCentral's episode 41, which I'm listening to at this very moment, and all is well until... the sound stops. I check my Treo, expecting a bandwidth/buffering issue, but instead, the counter continues to advance, as if there's no problem.

This is annoying as heck. I used to think it was a Bluetooth/SAG or signal issue, but I have noticed that, sometimes, when I get the sound to play again, the content had advanced beyond the last point I'd heard. Now I know why... kinda.

That's so problematic because it's difficult to precisely choose the right point on the bar to return to.

AARGH! It just did it, again.

This is easier to deal with when I'm stationary, typing with the Treo next to me - not so much when I'm biking around town.

So, anyone else experiencing this?

Btw, I'm listening via the earbuds.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I had to reinstall Kinoma after a hard reset of my palm (I just re-sync'd the Palm, then reinstalled Kinoma setup; anyway, when I try to play streaming radio (which I was able to do just fine before the hard reset) the "unrecognized response" error comes up.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Leo-
    Leo,

Quote Originally Posted by Psycmeistr View Post
    I had to reinstall Kinoma after a hard reset of my palm (I just re-sync'd the Palm, then reinstalled Kinoma setup; anyway, when I try to play streaming radio (which I was able to do just fine before the hard reset) the "unrecognized response" error comes up.
    That almost sounds like a network error, or a problem with a particular stream. Can you share what you're trying to play, so I can try it too?

Also, you might quickly try Media > Clear History & Cache. That'll rule out any possibility of Kinoma Player's cache files being corrupted and/or in a weird state from the restore/reinstall process.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I have been trialing Picturelink and I can't figure out how to make the links work with Kinoma. I too listen to the Librivox audio books, and would like to click on a single icon rather than go through all the steps that west3man mentions. How do you get the address of the books to make the link?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567