Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 137
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    How vould you get it for $14? The version on the 700p does not qualify for the upgrade cost. I only ever remember seeing it for $20 (on sale) and $25.
    http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/homeSoftware.asp
  2. #62  
    I will assume that it was a sale. It's $25 there which is the same as on kinoma's site.
  3. #63  
    A sale it is as it states until Dec 31st. So it is normally the $25 then they are giving 40% off. THAT is a steal.

    Now if NormSoft would be so nice but I dont think that will happen though I asked them. I'm sure they'll leave $37.95 on their site no matter what.
  4. #64  
    my Kinoma was an upgrade from the provided version on the 755P.

    Its cost was under $20

    (I wish PTunes cost the same...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #65  
    anyone run across the bug where it's playing a buffered video from youtube and right in the middle of playing kinoma starts stuttering between pause and play at a very quick rate? only way I could get it to stop was to bail out of kinoma all together. hope it doesn't happen often....

    I'd still like to hear a solution to the dead links issue... all I've heard from Kinoma is "weird, that doesn't happen on our pda's".
    Last edited by Micael; 12/23/2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: because I can, dammit
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #66  
    That's my issue, links don't work and. The stuttering happens all the time. I find waiting till half of it downloads then press play, stops the stuttering.
  7. #67  
    I love the app... mainly for youtube, and orb... and like smileyboy said if your connection is slow, let the buffer fill up about halfway then try to play the vids, thats how I use to do on my 650(no evdo)... ptunes wins hands down for audio, but for streaming video kinoma is where its at....
    HTC Touch Pro
  8. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #68  
    yeah, I learned the buffering trick. but that doesn't solve the bugs. I've buffered the entire file and had it dead link at times, and the stuttering problem as well. I buffer the file entirely, as a rule....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  9. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    I love the app... mainly for youtube, and orb... and like smileyboy said if your connection is slow, let the buffer fill up about halfway then try to play the vids, thats how I use to do on my 650(no evdo)... ptunes wins hands down for audio, but for streaming video kinoma is where its at....
    I just let it buffer till completion. I've found that sometimes it locks at halfway, but yeah, great approach....

    btw, I can't help but comment on your icon, R1.... isn't is funny how such an "*****" has repeatedly handed the democrats thier &##*# back to them on a platter?
    Last edited by Micael; 01/09/2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: comment added
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Yep, that is why I have issue with Kinoma, background use...
    We'd like to be able to offer background playback someday. We won't do it on the current Palm OS.

    Palm OS is like DOS and the original Mac OS, in that it doesnít support multitasking.

    Some software does clever things in order to simulate a multitasking OS. They leave bits of themselves behind, executing code in the shadows of your device even when Palm OS thinks they're not running.

    Unfortunately, that requires unsupported and relatively dangerous hacks. Because the OS doesn't support multitasking, and because it doesn't expect apps to use system resources after they exit, some system instability is unavoidable. At best, this causes occasional unexplained lags. At worse, this causes the kind of frustrating "random" crashes that most of us have experienced at one time or another.

    Palm discourages those kinds of tricks, since they're aware that Palm OS is (unfairly) notorious for crashes, and that the biggest reason for them is the apps and utilities that do dangerous things to get around OS limitations.

    Kinoma's goal is to build ultra-reliable software that plays nicely with others. Part of that is not doing things behind Palm OSís back. One benefit of that philosophy is that if you ever find yourself with a system-wide problem, Kinoma Player is incredibly unlikely to be the cause. That's because Kinoma Player follows the rules, and so can't interfere with other software when it's not the active application.

    The future is bright. Palm recently announced that we'll see its "Palm OS II" next year, which will support multitasking and a lot more. A modern mobile OS will allow developers like us to do more interesting things for you and our other customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    ...and bad links.
    If you ever run into bad links, just let us know by emailing us at content at kinoma.com. I'll make sure they're fixed or removed as soon as possible.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'd still like to hear a solution to the dead links issue... all I've heard from Kinoma is "weird, that doesn't happen on our pda's".
    Were you ever able to find a sequence of steps that would allow me (or other folks on the forum) to reproduce the connection problems you're seeing?

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  12. #72  
    Sweet, good to know you are listening. Now, if only I could get it to work on my 750.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    We'd like to be able to offer background playback someday. We won't do it on the current Palm OS.

    Palm OS is like DOS and the original Mac OS, in that it doesnít support multitasking.

    Some software does clever things in order to simulate a multitasking OS. They leave bits of themselves behind, executing code in the shadows of your device even when Palm OS thinks they're not running.

    Unfortunately, that requires unsupported and relatively dangerous hacks. Because the OS doesn't support multitasking, and because it doesn't expect apps to use system resources after they exit, some system instability is unavoidable. At best, this causes occasional unexplained lags. At worse, this causes the kind of frustrating "random" crashes that most of us have experienced at one time or another.

    Palm discourages those kinds of tricks, since they're aware that Palm OS is (unfairly) notorious for crashes, and that the biggest reason for them is the apps and utilities that do dangerous things to get around OS limitations.

    Kinoma's goal is to build ultra-reliable software that plays nicely with others. Part of that is not doing things behind Palm OSís back. One benefit of that philosophy is that if you ever find yourself with a system-wide problem, Kinoma Player is incredibly unlikely to be the cause. That's because Kinoma Player follows the rules, and so can't interfere with other software when it's not the active application...
    I apreciate the explanation and the rationale -- but why can't you implement an optional background playback mode --

    i.e. "check box" if you are willing to accept the POS compromises required.

    "Uncheck box" (reboot), Kinoma returns to standard non-permanent memory mode.

    it would seem as though background mode is not that damaging for ptunes -- most of us would gladly accept the risk especially if it could be turned off and on
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I apreciate the explanation and the rationale -- but why can't you implement an optional background playback mode --

    i.e. "check box" if you are willing to accept the POS compromises required.

    "Uncheck box" (reboot), Kinoma returns to standard non-permanent memory mode.

    it would seem as though background mode is not that damaging for ptunes -- most of us would gladly accept the risk especially if it could be turned off and on
    And PTunes isn't doing this "behind Palm's back" if Palm devices COME with the application.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    And PTunes isn't doing this "behind Palm's back" if Palm devices COME with the application.
    I said "behind Palm OS's back" (please quote me correctly!), but I understand your point. VersaMail also hacks the OS to do background email checking, I believe.

    I obviously can't speak for Palm's decisions, but generally those kinds of bundling decisions are made by folks with stronger business backgrounds than technical backgrounds. Personally, one of the first things I do with a new device is turn off "background play" in pTunes prefs, and recommend that my friends do the same unless that's their primary reason for having the phone.

    Problems surface when one or more hacks try to use same resources at the same time, unmediated by an un-aware OS. At best, you'll start to see odd delays, faster-than-normal battery use and other weirdness until you reset the phone. Eventually, it will crash.

    We're confident that the next Palm OS will give us the framework to support background playback and other types of multitasking without hacks.

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    I said "behind Palm OS's back" (please quote me correctly!), but I understand your point.
    I did misquote you, but it certainly wasn't intentional. I've had serious problems using the forums, today. At any rate, my apologies. My guess is that I just read too fast before the forums (or may connection to them, whichever) went down, again.

    I'm glad you understood me, anyway.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. #77  
    I wish NPR would fix their servers or whatever because it's a real pain 1) having the stream stutter then STOP in the middle of an episode and 2) having no option to resume from the same point, since we have to use the "prefer download to streaming" option.

    I use Kinoma for accessing NPR content, more than anything else, so I'm pretty bummed about this.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Were you ever able to find a sequence of steps that would allow me (or other folks on the forum) to reproduce the connection problems you're seeing?

    -- Charles Wiltgen
    Now that would make it so much easier for you! Why didn't I think of that! j/k

    No, there doesn't seem to be any "sequence of steps" outside of the obvious steps required to launch Kinoma, goto media guide, search youtube, select video, etc.

    And I didn't say it was a connection problem, somebody else did. I can immediately go launch a web session or stream a radio station in ptunes. Back to Kinoma, still no joy. I think its related to the times where the Media Guide times out repeatedly.
    Last edited by Micael; 01/11/2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: evil intent
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  19. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #79  
    Has anyone figured out why Kinoma times out when trying to access "Kinoma Media Guide"?

    Yes, I'm in a good location and web and ptunes streaming is working flawlessly.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Has anyone figured out why Kinoma times out when trying to access "Kinoma Media Guide"?

    Yes, I'm in a good location and web and ptunes streaming is working flawlessly.
    In general... or are you saying it's continuously been timing out?

    I dunno why it does it, but the person who suggested going to your preferences, Network, and then disconnecting and reconnecting, seems to have found the silver bullet. You'd THINK that just rebooting the phone would do it, but I've found that to be ineffective as compared to the Pref>Network option.

    Using a DA makes this even easier (although, unfortunately for me, it makes certain applications malfunction). If you haven't already, give it a shot.


    Personally, until NPR programming is available without the "prefer download to streaming" option and without so many freezes, I've all but abandoned my Kinoma app.

    I still like the other stuff it allows me to do, but I used it for NPR streaming more than anything else. Sucking up the lack of background play was one thing, but as things stand, I find myself spending too much time messing with it, tweaking it, restarting it from the beginning, etc. for it to be as enjoyable.

    Sometimes.

    I remain hopeful that this will change, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions